Head unit & Maps

mirz

Just bought a 2012 Presara GSV50R. Everything is pretty standard and can't complain.

only thing found is outdated GPS maps. Maps looks like from 2011. 

Do I need to get firmware upgrade for the head unit before maps upgrade? Also does this unit needs SD card or DVD method to upgrade? TIA

toyota Australia website says whereis 21 is latest maps but people are selling 22 and 23 on eBay for $200 and $350. Any tips which way to go with? 

IMG_0231.JPG

I found a map DVD but struggling to find where to insert map DVD in Presara?

couldnt find any photo on google. There is only single DVD slot behind the screen. There is no separate map DVD slot. Also looked under the seats, in boot and in and behind glove box but no luck to find where this map DVD will go?

when insert DVD in DVD slot behind screen and try to update maps, it still says "please insert a DVD or USB drive that contains the map data"

can anyone pls help? Thanks

Had a similar issue on our Presara..2009 model so did as others have suggested..I changed the head unit..not only got latest maps but much more use-ability over all..yes it is added cost but after all it is pure luxury so worth it..only other suggestion I can see is Toyota..but would probably work out cheaper to get a Professional install

KAA

Hi, just my 2 cents worth on this subject. I have a 2007 Presara so my unit may be different to the more recent models.

Removing the map dvd is a straight forward matter. On-screen there is a 'map eject' button which ejects the dvd from a slot from behind the screen. There are 2 slots behind the screen on the 2007 model, the top one is for loading up to 4 cd's and there is a dedicated slot below for the map dvd.

My car came with the map V17 so the disc is quite old. The latest version is V23 however $350 for a dvd does seem a bit expensive.....The solution to this is to download and burn a more recent version of the map dvd. OF COURSE, it should be only used for evaluation purposes and one should buy an original copy. 

In saying that, it is possible to use a copied version of the map dvd. I have been 'evaluating' map V20 and apparently there is V22 floating about on the net. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...