Spotlights pilot light

brickpaver

I've got all my spotlights up and working and wanted to put in a pilot led light on the dash, connected to the on/off switch connected to the high beam.

The only problem however is by leaving the switch in the 'on' position when I turn off the headlights, the spotlights will come on. (Have never had this happen in past cars) .  Okay, I'm not too worried about that, as long as I remember to turn the switch to 'off' when I'm not using the headlights.

I decided to put in a dash pilot light to remind me if I've forgotten to throw the switch. I thought that the logical method was to wire the pilot light into the wire that runs from the relay to the switch and back again to the spotlights but that doesn't work.

When I take the pilot light out and reconnect that wire direct back to the switch again, everything works as it should. It just doesn't seem to want the pilot light put into that wiring.......what am I doing 'wrong'.?  The pilot light will come on by itself but not the spotlights, until I remove the pilot and go back direct to the switch.       Damn frustrating.

Cheers

Edited by brickpaver
Missed a point

connect 12V [flashing?] LED neg to power wire after headlight switch and before hi/low beam selector.   Connect LED Pos to power wire after spotlight on switch.  LED will only light if sports on and lights off, so I recommend alarm colour.    spots will not come on when not wanted.  LED --longest wire is neg.   

Edited by Manxman