90s - 2004 hilux workmate - what to buy

Henri2

Hi all, 

Im looking to purchase a 1990s to 2004 2wd workmate as a relatively cheap daily driver ute. Im after a dual cab and in manual. I have a few questions, 

- which model / engine generation seems to "last forever" and are easily maintained?

- why do most for sale seem to be low 200,000s or 360,000 ish kms? is a major service due? 

- common issues and aspects to look out for when purchasing? 

Cheers!

Try this dude =

not specifically 2WD but mostly still applicable.  They are not "unbreakable" but they are close....   & certainly as far as parts & maintenance goes they are pretty a simple machine with good life expectancy as long as you maintain them.

Just search by the specific model you like & you will find tons of data

Rgds G.

• Like 1

Hi there,

I had the RZN149 engine on a 1999 model. 2.7ltr. Quite durable no issues at all.
As soon as put gas hard to start b'cause injectors getting blocked so running 
in petrol quite costly drink like a horse being an older engine.

Anyway I ended up replacing the injectors and ran 100%. Cost me $40 each
replaced myself. Never burning any oil loads of staff carried heavy steal roof tops
on roof carrier. Traded in and got a diesel Pajero 09 model.

Good luck

Noel

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ndeb said:

I had the RZN149 engine on a 1999 model. 2.7ltr. Quite durable no issues at all.

cheers for that insight mate. how many kms had yours done by that point? the utes in my price range all seem to have 330,000 kms or more and im not sure whether i should aim for a lower kms one or at 330 odd, itll be fine for a while longer 

I managed to pick up a 2001RZN147r, 2wd work mate, soley as a run a bout, to and from work duties, as I just purchased a brand new dual cab and didn't want to run the kays up on it.

Any way fate had it, spotted my little work mate for sale on the side of the road coming home one day, by the look of the condition it was in, straight as, clean, and most important Original,  I thought this things probably going to be up there, turned out it had all the original books, unused tools behind the seat,service history, Interior all intact with no wear, new brakes, front wheel bearings, tyres, plugs, etc, etc, . Its got the 1rze 2 litre Fuel Injected engine, electronic ignition, 5 speed, optional A/C., Beaut Alloy tray with Tonneau

I had a Hilux Grinner years ago with the 2Y 1.8 lt engine and kicked myself for ever getting rid of it.

All I can say is look around, good original unmolested ones are still around, I guess I was in the right place, right time, then again there is a lot of sh*t also for sale

In short I love it, It hums along on the freeways, sits easily on 110kph, produces maximum torque at 2800rpm, so it pulls well without ringing its neck( for the size of the little donk ) and has a timing chain, so no worries of a belt letting go, had 280,000 km on it.

The ol mate who owned it, was having to hand in his license because of macular disease,DSC_0122.thumb.JPG.7ab894ef4966e4b78004a245ad724851.JPG

The only thing I had to do was get the a/c serviced $250 from memory regas, new receiver dryer, cant believe how cold it gets.

Cant honestly say I have seen many dual cab work mates around, that's not to say they aren't out there,

any way best of luck bud, you will come across one when you least expect it as I did,

Cheers CONROD

I had about 320,000 kms I towed also a tandem trailer with 
a Nissan 300ZX on it which in total approximately over 2 tons.

Take off slowly but does still goes well mate.

It was very difficult to get a double cab, auto,  ac, central lock, p/steering, CD radio, alarm 
but you be patient one will come.
Good luck

Noel

efi diesels from 2000, afair.   please DON'T turbo anything but a 2.4Liter, the iron heads will not take the heat.   around 250,000km it's normal to have head problems often caused by poor matenance/hard drving/cooling fail.   later ones might have airbags.    They can survive beyond 500,000km iff oil changes frequent enough and long cruising runs.    Not powerful, but utterly reliable and owner serviceable.  I find the old 2.2Liter motor adequate, but that's me.    The 2.2, 2.4, 2.8, & 3.0 liter motors interchange freely, apart from electrical connectors and exhaust header flanges.  stronger gearboxes on bigger motor(s?),  common bellhousing pattern.   

• Thanks 1

Cheers for all the help guys! Currently own a 2 door so a 4 door run around and beach/light camping trip bus is what I'm chasing! 

By the sounds of it, any model is good If well maintained and they're beautiful! I'm fairly handy so self servicing wouldn't be issue for the most part. 

Heard transmissions can become faulty? Or is that mainly 4x4s? 

Any tips on what to look out for when purchasing? A clean seeming dual cab popped up which I'm tempted to look at.

Also been looking at a 60 series LandCruiser as an alternative option.. similar price range as the workmates although, the maintenance costs would be getting up there 

Hmmmm yes gearboxes…..

Wise words there-     some have the R151F gearbox which is also referred to as the R151Fail box…   My KZN165R has that box & I've never had troubles but just do a little looking & you'll find no end of dramas with that - most often because of too much power after turbo or over geared with big wheels or towing in 5th gear. 5Th gear on that box is really just for cruising with no load so DO NOT TOW in 5th is the rule.

you might also be interested in these =

https://newhilux.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=51   - pre 05 models

http://www.hilux4x4.co.za/views/

http://brian894x4.com/Hiluxdifferences.html

http://www.tacomaforum.com/

https://www.tacomaworld.com/