Wind noise....

I dont know if any of you have notice this and I have only notice this in my corolla.

When I am driving alone, if I wind the windows down at the rear of the car. I will experience some "vibration noise" across my ears. I dont know how to describe it. It happens if i wind down both rear windows or either rear windows.

Is this normal ?....

I tried on my family car a 1997 323 and it seems to be fine.

I dont know if any of you have notice this and I have only notice this in my corolla.

When I am driving alone, if I wind the windows down at the rear of the car. I will experience some "vibration noise" across my ears. I dont know how to describe it. It happens if i wind down both rear windows or either rear windows.

Is this normal ?....

Yup I get that consatntly in my rolla as well (not sportivo)

Wind down a front window a little bit and it should go normally.

I think its just enevatable with the shape and size of the car that we get a strange draft come from the rear windows.

i seem to find this a problem with all new cars as i didnt remember this happening with any of the older cars ive been in/had. its like the air gets into the window circulates around the car and has to get back out the same window and that circle effect causes it to sound like a chopper or something. Noticed this on other make/model of vehicles as well mainly new ones.

Is this normal ?....

Yup I get that consatntly in my rolla as well (not sportivo)

Wind down a front window a little bit and it should go normally.

I think its just enevatable with the shape and size of the car that we get a strange draft come from the rear windows.

Spot on...its stops if another window is wound down

It's all to do with the wind and the pressure that builds up in the back of the car. You find that if you let down the rear windows about an inch the noise/pressure will disapate. It's all to do with the aerodynamics of the car and how much air actually makes it past the centre pillar. you;ll find that if you have weather shields on the car it goes away because the air is pushed out more to the sides.

It's all to do with the wind and the pressure that builds up in the back of the car. You find that if you let down the rear windows about an inch the noise/pressure will disapate. It's all to do with the aerodynamics of the car and how much air actually makes it past the centre pillar. you;ll find that if you have weather shields on the car it goes away because the air is pushed out more to the sides.

bad thing about them weathershields is that the air doesn't flow past your head, for some reason it blows across the back of your head giving u a new hairdo!! :P :P

When you have the any of the rear windows down and have the front windows up, the wind pressure enters the cabin and then creates a pulsating pressure within the cabin. This is due to the pressure waves colliding and cancelling or amplifying each other. Similar to when two cars have sports exhaust systems and cruise next to each other. When the exhaust pulses are in harmony, you can hear the....MmmmMMMmmmMMmMMMmmmm noise. That's the sound waves cancelling and amplifying each other.

The reason why it doesn't really happen to older cars, is because they are not as 'air tight' as new cars. Old cars generally didn't seal very well or the seals are already old and wind escapes easily. Of course, being newer cars, they are designed better ( <_< ) and should be more air tight. This air tightness helps to reduce the amount of 'energy' (fuel, electrics, etc) to run such things as air-con.

It would be very inefficient to have an air conditioner in a pergola. Works better in a room, right? :)

Hope this helps.

-Chris