Recommended Engine Oil, 2004 Camry 2.4L

ZRCamry04

Hi all, what is the recommended engine oil to use for the 4 cylinder Camry's

Used this oil for my last service

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/castrol-castrol-edge-engine-oil---10w-30-5-litre/516277.html#q=Castrol+oil&segment=1&page=1

Was wondering if I should continue to use this or change it up

Car is about to approach 100,000km

2AZ-FE calls for 10W30, latest spec SN GF5. If engine well cared for then that spec or 5W30 should continue to work well for it. Personally I would not use 20W50 unless engine was using a bit of oil &/or you consistently drove in very hot climate.

ps: your owners manual will tell you the oil spec you should be using 😉

22 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

your owners manual will tell you the oil spec you should be using

Definitely check your owner's manual for the recommended oil specification and viscosity.

For your consideration and comparative purposes, I am thinking about the following 3 day deal from SuperCheap

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/shell-shell-helix-ultra-engine-oil---5w-40-5-litre/215344.html?cgid=2018_wk20_oil#segment=1&page=1

^^ not a bad price for a Shell product. Can't say the same for their fuel prices which are driving customers to their competitors in droves in Vic, which suits me just fine.

Always like to keep an eye out for the latest catalogue specials from either Autobarn, Repco or Supercheap.

On 11/15/2018 at 6:40 PM, ZZT86 said:

Personally I would not use 20W50 unless engine was using a bit of oil &/or you consistently drove in very hot climate.

http://australiancar.reviews/2AZ-FE-engine.php

The 2AZ-FE engine is susceptible to excessive oil consumption due to oil getting past the piston rings and into the combustion chamber. There have been reports of excessive oil consumption for the 2AZ-FE powered Toyota Vehicles with mileages as low as 70,000, though it is commonly experienced from 100,000 to 120,000 kms

• Thanks 1

@jeffy  yep I'm aware of this, having said all that my dads ACV36 Sportivo 5sp is now well past 120K kms & hardly uses a drop of the 10W30 semi-synth I & Toyota prescribe for him ;) As always it pays to keep a close eye on your car for any abnormal developments.

wow ! you guys have good oil usage ! 

ive used the 20w50 for about a year or so (and change every 5000kms) , as my engine has high mileage.

ive noticed that i burn the same amount as zains camry at 1500 =\ .. so now i change every 3000kms .. high mileage life 😧 (engine has done 310,xxx kms)

How wide spread is/was the problem with oil consumption on the 2AZ-FE ? It's actually disappointing to see, I can distinctly remember 5S-FE motors in Celica's (Camry motor without the balancer shafts) was notorious for burning oil, the harder you drove it the more it used :/ The 2ZZ-GE engine was the total opposite.

• 5 years later...