e10 fuel on trd aurion 3500s

Kent wang

2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think it's stupid to remove 91 entirely. I am getting sick of Governments removing our choices and mandating as they see fit. Enough already I reckon.

We're supposed to be a Democracy, living in a free world...

Personally I don't care....I'm an old school motor mechanic, been out of the game for years and I won't even put 91 or ethanol fuels in engines of my yard care power equipment or my old motorbike...I only ever use 95 in them....  

6 hours ago, rubin said:

Personally I don't care....I'm an old school motor mechanic, been out of the game for years and I won't even put 91 or ethanol fuels in engines of my yard care power equipment or my old motorbike...I only ever use 95 in them....  

My yard care equipment refuses to start/run without 95. Lot to be said for being old school.

7 minutes ago, campbeam said:

My yard care equipment refuses to start/run without 95. Lot to be said for being old school.

Mmmm??....I have a honda powered brush cutter, a honda powered edger, a 9hp honda powered trencher....a 5 hp B&S powered thatcher, an 8 year old B&S powered mower, a 3.5hp B&S powered cultivator....All on 95 and I have never had a problem starting any of them....Yeah, there is a lot to be said about old school....

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/26/2020 at 7:20 PM, campbeam said:

I was of the belief that the additional power output of 203 or 204 KW was based upon 95 octane. 

Currently on a road trip using Premium 95 Unleaded. I really noticed the difference in performance when accelerating on the open highway. It was very smooth and no hesitation and no noticeable downshifting of the transmission. This morning when I refueled [approx. 30+litres], I ended up using 91 unleaded at the available pumps instead of E10 with 94 octance. Only noticed the 95 unleaded pumps after a vehicle and caravan combination pulled away from the pumps.

Anyway, there was a significant difference with acceleration being not as responsive and the transmission was downshifting. Next refuel was definitely back to Premium 95 Unleaded.

Recent experience has now convinced me that for my 2006 Aurion ATX now with 217000 kms to continue to use 95 octane for highway driving.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

no noticeable downshifting of the transmission

Anyway, there was a significant difference with acceleration being not as responsive and the transmission was downshifting.

I don't follow regarding the downshifting differences Ash. What are you experiencing ?

Only noticed the 95 unleaded pumps after a vehicle and caravan combination pulled away from the pumps.

One of biggest bug bears on the open road is Caravan drivers and Horse float drivers :wallbash:

25 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't follow regarding the downshifting differences Ash. What are you experiencing ?

When accelerating during overtaking, I was experiencing no downshifting and quite surprised by what was showing on the speedo as though an extra level of torque had been released. All of this with minimal throttle, or so I thought.

In contrast, when I went to accelerate to overtake, it was as though the engine was hesitant/slow to respond and the transmission had to downshift for that extra launch capability.

Later in the afternoon after refueling with 95 unleaded that morning, it was a lot better but more using the overtaking lanes and not accelerating as hard. More driving today but it should be with less overtaking, maybe.

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

When accelerating during overtaking, I was experiencing no downshifting and quite surprised by what was showing on the speedo as though an extra level of torque had been released. All of this with minimal throttle, or so I thought.

In contrast, when I went to accelerate to overtake, it was as though the engine was hesitant/slow to respond and the transmission had to downshift for that extra launch capability.

Ahh, I see now. You were referring to kick down of the gears when accelerating to overtake. I see what you mean. The better fuel meant the engine was able to propel the vehicle more freely and effortlessly without the need to drop it back a gear or two utilizing the improvement in torque whereas the lower grade fuel makes it labour that bit more.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The better fuel meant the engine was able to propel the vehicle more freely and effortlessly without the need to drop it back a gear or two utilizing the improvement in torque whereas the lower grade fuel makes it labour that bit more.

Spot on. Oh what a lovely feeling with the better fuel.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Spot on. Oh what a lovely feeling with the better fuel.

It's so basic...You get what you pay for...And your injectors will love you and in turn reward your wallet...