Testing Aerospace 303 Protectant and Reduced Tyre Wear

campbeam

As mentioned in recent posts to this Forum, I am trying out Aerospace 303 Protectant to see whether it is going to extend the life of the tyre. This is the YouTube video that initially got me give the product a try. I have previously used the product on the serpentine belt and on the sidewalls of the tyre. Admittedly the video does have a clickbait title. The presenter is essentially making the claim that the tyre life can be doubled.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8WFiDGx4Q

I am planning upon testing this on 2 vehicles, my 2006 Aurion ATX and the girlfriend's Toyota Yaris which had a complete set of new tyres fitted 24.12.2019.

On my vehicle, I have relatively as new front tyres being Dunlop SP Sport 300E [Made in Australia] with a Treadwear Rating of 240. Please note that these tyres were previously unused on the spares so they are aged and got fitted a few months ago. Tread depth measured with calipers is 7mm. 

Rear tyres are worn Pirelli Cinturato P1 [Made in China] with a higher Treadwear Rating of 420. These tyres were previously on the front. Tread depth is close enough to being 4.9mm. 

I differed from the video in that I did not treat the inside of the tyre. I have since noticed a video comment that suggested deflating the tyres, put Aerospace 303 into the compressor hose then re-inflate.

My methodology is as follows:

1. Jack up car and remove all of the tyres. [I have axle stands but was unable to access them. Instead I used 4 trolley jacks.] 

2. Wipe down tyres and remove any stones caught in the tread. 

3, Treat the inside tyre wall of each tyre. Do the 1st tyre then move on to the next and repeat a number of times. Similar to spray painting, better to do a number of light coats. 

3A. Have a break say 10-15 minutes to let the last coating soak into the rubber.

4. Treat the outside tyre wall of each tyre. 

4A. Refer 3A. Time for a snack and another drink

5. Refit wheels and treat the tyre tread. I turned the front wheels so I could more easily access the tread. I would treat a section of the tyre then move on to the next one. Rotate tyre and treat the next section of the tyre. Repeat until all of the tyre tread profile has been treated.

6. Repeat treating all of the tyre tread profile on all of the tyres. 

7. Wait 12 hours then remove jacks etc.

Allow 3-4 hours and approx. 1 litre of protectant.

I took 5 hours and used 1.1 litres of protectant. I started at 8:45AM and finished 1:45PM when there was a light shower.

Checked the tyres at 8PM and got traces of protectant on my fingertips. Looking like it really needs the 12 hours to be well and truly absorbed into the tyre tread. Extra time has let the protectant to be better absorbed into the sidewalls.

1st test vehicle is done. Plan was to next do the 2nd vehicle not enough protectant. I have a 3.9litre container of Aerospace [$95 on eBay after $5 coupon] being delivered so should arrive in the next few days ready for next weekend. 

Just remembered, my vehicle's odometer reading is 214295 kms so will be monitoring the condition of the treatment on the tyre tread. Interesting to see how long it takes before there is a noticeable change.

• Like 1

Well Ash all I can say is I am looking forward to an update down the track as to how this all went..I bet they look brand new now you have done all that work..so hope it does do as you hope it will ..Look after yourself as i think if i did all that work I would have needed several sleep breaks to recharge as my health conditions would never allow me that much energy in one burst

Stay Safe Mate

• Like 1

This will be a good test Ash. I am planning on doing something similar when I'm up for tyre replacement. I will purchase the tyres outright first then treat them liberally allow to set for a couple of weeks before having tyre shop fit, balance and wheel align.

Then I'll take wear measurements, say quarterly, and compare notes with you. I don't have a control base to start off with as my tyres are near end of life, but I have a rough idea how long they have lasted as I still have my tyre service history booklet from Bob Jane.

It is now 24 hours later at 1:45PM Sunday. All of the tyres look to be brand new and the protectant appears to have penetrated as much as it is going to. Not going to wipe any surplus off the tyres. Time to take the car off the jacks. Will go for a short trip to the petrol station and check/adjust tyre pressures. 

• Like 1

As expected, there has been no change to handling or braking. Contact face of the tyre tread is now entirely dry and no sheen.

I was just thinking that the Aerospace should theoretically make the tyres more water repellent and thus more resistant to hydroplaning. Not going to be testing that. Another thought is that I should have also sprayed the valve stems. 

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

I was just thinking that the Aerospace should theoretically make the tyres more water repellent and thus more resistant to hydroplaning. Not going to be testing that.

Hahahaha ! I would think not mate, unless you're planning on going to a skid pan :biggrin:

Seriously though, I suspect the tyres should benefit from 303 absorbed into the rubber as indicated and reduce the frictional wear to some degree. I'm no scientist but it is a plausible theory. I wish Myth Busters did a test like this. Can you imagine the meticulous data we'd get ?

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hahahaha ! I would think not mate, unless you're planning on going to a skid pan 

A work colleague often says "We all have our hopes and dreams" and another saying is "Best of luck with that". The expectation is that frictional wear will be reduced. It is probably going to take 12months with quarterly tyre depth measurements to have any degree of confidence that the tyre life is being somewhat extended to make it cost benefical.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Did you get a tracking number for your 303 order ?

Yes, received the tracking number evening of 17.04.2020 with an estimated delivery time Thursday 07.05.2020 because of COVID-19. So much for my original expectation of delivery this week.

Revised plan is to give the Yaris a good wash. While doing the tyre treatment, I will also treat the cv boots and steering boots, door seals etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, campbeam said:

While doing the tyre treatment, I will also treat the cv boots and steering boots, door seals etc.

Yep,  good idea. The door seals are items that people always forget.

• Like 1

My order of Aerospace 303 did arrive last Wednesday so did the tyre treatment on the Yaris.this morning.

Tyres are Bridgestone Supercat 185/60/R15 84H; 4 months old and tread depth is approx, 7.9mm for both front and rear tyres. Odometer reading is 214320 km.  

Repeated the steps as outlined in the initial post. Also gave the cv boots and the steering boots a good spray.

This time, it only took 3 hours and used about 700ml of the protectant. Yaris is currently up on jacks until after midnight.

When I get a digital tyre depth gauge [currently in transit from eBay seller in China], I will be able to update the tyre readings.

Since doing the tyre treatment on the Aurion, I am really enjoying driving. I have pumped the tyres up to 40 psi and have 95 unleaded in the tank instead of 91 unleaded. Just feeling that the car is driving and handling better. When shopping this week, I noticed that there was no tyre squeal when parking . Definitely could hear other vehicle's tyres making that noise on the smooth concrete surface.

Now waiting for any feedback from the girlfriend [hopefully without any prompting] when she drives the Yaris tomorrow and later. 

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

When shopping this week, I noticed that there was no tyre squeal when parking . Definitely could hear other vehicle's tyres making that noise on the smooth concrete surface.

Very interesting indeed. You're referring to those carparks with sealed concrete where the tyres will squeal during those low speed turn ins. Good observation Ash.

I always advise my wife to occasionally put premium in it when it's affordable to do so. It does seem to drive that little bit nicer with Premium.

Hmm that was an interesting observation Ash, I have never thought it would have that effect so well done on noticing the lack of squeal, I always feel the Aurion runs so much smoother on the higher grade Premium Fuels..and as it is so dam cheap now I will be filling up more often with the 95 or 98..just need to have the road time to use up what is in the tank right now..sob sob..I miss just cruising around..hopefully soon for all of us

Keep Well

KAA

• 2 months later...

I was looking at the tyres this morning after driving on wet roads to a car park. I noticed that the Front tyres [newer Dunlop] looked shinier than the rear tyres [older Pirelli] even though they were both tyre shined at the same time. Just thinking that the different tyre compounds can make a difference.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I gave the tyres on both vehicles a thorough treatment with Aerospace 303. Jacked the vehicles up so that all of the tyre tread and both sidewalls were accessible. This took a few hours and I did not bother with repeating the original treatment where the vehicle is left on jacks for 12 hours.

As expected, the tyres are now looking like new.

Still considering whether to deflate the tyres, remove the tyre valve and inject 100ml of Aerospace 303 then re-inflate the tyres.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2020 at 6:55 PM, campbeam said:

Still considering whether to deflate the tyres, remove the tyre valve and inject 100ml of Aerospace 303 then re-inflate the tyres.

I honestly think that would be a waste of time and product Ashley. I wonder if by having the inner coated in 303, how much of a part can it play in reducing tyre wear. This could be another tyre test by anyone who has the time or inclination. Just coat the inside and conduct a wear test. Then have another coated on the inside and out.

Where's Mythbusters when you need them lol. ( Also on that note. Grant Imahara sadly passed away on July 13th of this year. 49 years old. Suffered a brain aneurysm. Terrible loss)

The more obvious would be the outer side. So re coating the outside gives the rubber more opportunity to absorb the product and work it's magic there.

I look forward to the results.

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I honestly think that would be a waste of time and product Ashley. I wonder if by having the inner coated in 303, how much of a part can it play in reducing tyre wear.

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The more obvious would be the outer side. So re coating the outside gives the rubber more opportunity to absorb the product and work it's magic there.

I look forward to the results.

I have got the time and product to put to the test. I am already thinking that the actual costs are going to outweigh any benefits.

Re-coating the outside is relatively easy.

Just thinking that the inside product and tyre pressure will help with pushing the absorption towards the outside and be more benefical. I am also thinking that the inner treatment may help with maintaining the tyre pressures.

That recently posted video with the GoPro inside the tyre really shows how much the tyre walls and tread flex so maybe another reason to do the inner tyre treatment. .  

Hi Ash, Would certainly be interesting and if you do give it a go also interesting if it does give any benefit to tyre pressure maintenance

Keep us updated if you do decide to give it a shot mate

Keep Safe

KAA 

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have got the time and product to put to the test. I am already thinking that the actual costs are going to outweigh any benefits.

Re-coating the outside is relatively easy.

Just thinking that the inside product and tyre pressure will help with pushing the absorption towards the outside and be more benefical. I am also thinking that the inner treatment may help with maintaining the tyre pressures.

That recently posted video with the GoPro inside the tyre really shows how much the tyre walls and tread flex so maybe another reason to do the inner tyre treatment. .  

How can I argue with logic like that. That makes sense Ash. 

You'd have to fully deflate the tyre, remove the schrader core and somehow inject the liquid in and rotate wheel to try and evenly distribute the 303.

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

How can I argue with logic like that. That makes sense Ash. 

You'd have to fully deflate the tyre, remove the schrader core and somehow inject the liquid in and rotate wheel to try and evenly distribute the 303.

Maybe but nothing definite. After removing the tyre valve I am think of using a syringe and plastic tubing combination. Same one that I used for topping up the Century battery. Yes, I am thinking of rotating the wheels to help distribute the 303 then re-inflation may also help move the 303 around.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just for the record, I gave the tyres on the Yaris a treatment today, Saturday 28.11.2020 . I just jacked up the car and applied the Aerospace 303 Protectant to the tread and sidewalls. It got about 4 hours to penetrate before the girlfriend needed to go out. Tyres looked as new which is what I expected for such a light car. I didn't bother with taking any tyre depth readings so will leave for next time. 

Tyres on my Aurion have been impacted by wheel alignment being out of adjustment. Thinking of swapping the front tyres side to side and try and even out the unexpected wear on the outside edge of the passenger tyre. In the meantime, I have been giving the outside tyre wall and outer tread more of a regular tyre shine treatment. 

Haha, that trusty wheel alignment going off business on the front. Mine tends to go out more on the left. When they make the adjustments during a wheel alignment I'm suspecting they don't do the nuts up tight enough or something. Seems like an ongoing issue. 

• 10 months later...

18 months later and 18k kms, front tyres are now down to the wear bar and need replacement.

Spent most of the day swapping over a set of mag wheels fitted with as new Continental ContiComfortContact 5 tyres. A number of weeks ago I deflated the tyres, inserted about 100 mls of Aerospace 303 into each tyre then re-inflated them. Today I did the same as well as giving the inside and outside tyre walls a good spray of the 303. 

Soon find out whether a wheel alignment is needed and will then be ready for a road trip in early 2022.