Axle tramp bang

Hey guys 

Road have been wet and I’ve been getting axle tramp even on light throttle. It’s only happened around 3 times since I’ve owned the car, but just now it did it again and there was a loud bag that sounded like an airbag going off as the axle tramp stopped (sounded like it came from the inside of the car). 

Car drives fine and everything. Anyone know what it could be? Is it cause for concern? Bit worried at the moment.

That sound you heard has most likely come from the differential in the transmission or the torque convertor.

As noted in the following URL, I would be checking your tyres and suspension to prevent this from happening.

https://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f15/what-axle-tramp-8779.html

I have got as new tyres and worn suspension on my Aurion but have not experienced axle tramp. After stopping at traffic lights, I got on the accelerator a little bit too much on a damp road going around a bend but only had to back off the accelerator when the front tyres started to lose grip.

How good are your tyres in wet conditions?

My tyres are fitted from factory (2017 Aurion). They’re wearing but nowhere near fully worn. They’re Bridgestone Turanzas and I don’t have any problem apart from that one stretch of road. 

It’s quite uneven through the intersection off the lights and basically all the cases of axle tramp (3-4 times since owning it) have occurred at that same spot. 

with that noise, does that mean my tranny is stuffed now? It happened as I backed off the throttle. Car drove perfectly fine the rest of the way home.  

Edited by VeradaMan

3 hours ago, VeradaMan said:

It’s quite uneven through the intersection off the lights and basically all the cases of axle tramp (3-4 times since owning it) have occurred at that same spot. 

What it comes down to is that you are driving too hard for those road conditions. Adapt your driving for that particular intersection.

I would be more inclined to regard that noise as a warning sign. Different matter if it keeps making that noise all the time.

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

What it comes down to is that you are driving too hard for those road conditions. Adapt your driving for that particular intersection.

I would be more inclined to regard that noise as a warning sign. Different matter if it keeps making that noise all the time.

I don’t think I’m driving too hard. I didn’t even go past 2.5k rpm. I could’ve sworn the eco light was still on while it was doing it. There must’ve been oil on the road or something. The dealer did mention about my tyres starting to show noticeable wear at the most recent service as well. 

I think I’ll get them to have a look at it just for peace of mind. I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I broke something. 

7 hours ago, VeradaMan said:

I think I’ll get them to have a look at it just for peace of mind.

Good idea particularly as your vehicle is still in warranty.

The dealer should be able to also have a closer look at the condition of your tyres and suspension.

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

Good idea particularly as your vehicle is still in warranty.

The dealer should be able to also have a closer look at the condition of your tyres and suspension.

Yep. Just called them. I’m going in today and they said they’d put the car up and have a look + scan it for anything. 

I’m sure it’s nothing, but I’ll be getting some new tyres after this I think. It’s happened 2 times in the past 2 weeks in the wet. 

2 hours ago, VeradaMan said:

I’ll be getting some new tyres after this I think. It’s happened 2 times in the past 2 weeks in the wet. 

I have been caught out in the past of how badly worn the tyres were.

My preference for tyres is a touring type tyre with excellent wet weather/short braking distance. Accordingly, I would be considering Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] and comparing them to Continental UltraContact 6 . Anyway Bridgestone has a sale on until 30.06.2020 either 25% off or 3+1 free depending upon the tyre.   

7 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I have been caught out in the past of how badly worn the tyres were.

My preference for tyres is a touring type tyre with excellent wet weather/short braking distance. Accordingly, I would be considering Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] and comparing them to Continental UltraContact 6 . Anyway Bridgestone has a sale on until 30.06.2020 either 25% off or 3+1 free depending upon the tyre.   

Yeah a few in the Aurion group in Facebook have recommended Michelin. I’m inclined not to go for Bridgestone again if it ends up doing what it’s doing now. 

drove it to the dealer just now and I’m currently waiting. I listened for noises and anything abnormal on the drive here. Car was completely smooth and nothing out of the ordinary sounds/movements. 

The FWD setup with 200kw is really the Achilles heel of the car. It would’ve sold like hot cakes if it was RWD. Next car is 100% gonna be a RWD Lexus, although I plan on keeping the Aurion as long as it lasts. 

Edited by VeradaMan

Firstly, welcome to the forum if we haven't done so. Both yourself and Ashley make valid points.

A front wheel drive car with the kind of power the Aurion has will get the occasional protest from the transmission, especially in the wet and where slippery conditions or uneven road surfaces present. The Aurion drive train is quite robust and will handle some punishment. If you had a serious problem the issue would be constant, which leads me to believe you have none.

The Bridgestone Turanza's are rubbish tyres. That's what is causing your issue there. They have appalling wet weather grip and will make your front end tramp even under the slightest corrugation. They fit these to new cars because they are cheap and tend to last longer than others. This is due to the type of rubber construction, which tends to go hard as it ages and they are usually worn before they are worn if you know what I mean..

When I purchased my 2012 Aurion, it still had the original Bridgestones on it too and they were garbage. The road noise was horrendous and the front end always felt twitchy under the slightest acceleration. All that torque trying to get down through those hard round blocks did it no justice. I then fitted Michelin Primacy Tyres and it was literally an OMG moment. The car totally transformed and felt incredibly smooth, quiet and plenty grip.

Don't delay, get your Michelin's today !!

6 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Firstly, welcome to the forum if we haven't done so. Both yourself and Ashley make valid points.

A front wheel drive car with the kind of power the Aurion has will get the occasional protest from the transmission, especially in the wet and where slippery conditions or uneven road surfaces present. The Aurion drive train is quite robust and will handle some punishment. If you had a serious problem the issue would be constant, which leads me to believe you have none.

The Bridgestone Turanza's are rubbish tyres. That's what is causing your issue there. They have appalling wet weather grip and will make your front end tramp even under the slightest corrugation. They fit these to new cars because they are cheap and tend to last longer than others. This is due to the type of rubber construction, which tends to go hard as it ages and they are usually worn before they are worn if you know what I mean..

When I purchased my 2012 Aurion, it still had the original Bridgestones on it too and they were garbage. The road noise was horrendous and the front end always felt twitchy under the slightest acceleration. All that torque trying to get down through those hard round blocks did it no justice. I then fitted Michelin Primacy Tyres and it was literally an OMG moment. The car totally transformed and felt incredibly smooth, quiet and plenty grip.

Don't delay, get your Michelin's today !!

Gday mate 

I don’t believe I’ve posted in the intro subforum. I will make sure to do that! Thanks for the welcome.

and yet another recommendation for Michelin! Bridgestone is truly rubbish. I can’t even take it about 2.5k rpm off the line without the thing wanting to tramp. It’s especially bad in the wet. 

I looked at my tyres and they do look like old rubber. Dealer is looking at the front end currently just to double check everything is ok. One thing I did remind myself of is that police used to use Aurion’s in NSW. They would’ve had plenty of axle tramp/wheel hop while using them and they seemed to be ok. I just wanted it checked for peace of mind. 

Anyway, I’ll update on the verdict, but I’m pretty keen to get rid of these tyres now. 

• Like 1

Update: they put the car up and inspected the front end. Also took it for a drive and found nothing wrong. 

I’ll be definitely getting new tyres

34 minutes ago, VeradaMan said:

Update: they put the car up and inspected the front end. Also took it for a drive and found nothing wrong. 

I’ll be definitely getting new tyres

Appreciate the update.

Please let us know what tyres you end up getting and if driving through that intersection is now a lot better.

I have found that the car always go that bit faster with new tyres probably because the grip is so much improved.

That's good new there Matt. I suspected it would be solid. It's a fairly new car and Toyota reliability rarely comes into question here, especially on the 50 series. The longer you spend here you will soon see for yourself.

Let us know how you go with tyres.

Cheers and all the best. :thumbsup: