Kluger oil filter location

Michael Duncan

I had a Commodore and the oil filter location was up top of the motor. The housing could be removed with a wrench, socket or even a wheel brace. It was brilliant and made oil filter changes a joy. Now with a great 2014 low mileage Kluger I find the oil filter in the opposite location and to buy another tool and go to a messy inconvenient process that guarantees oil spills. I’m pretty old and it gets hot and cold down in Canberra so laying on the ground isn’t as easy these days. Does anyone know the reasons for the otherwise great cars having Such a deplorable filter location.

On 8/16/2020 at 6:19 PM, Michael Duncan said:

I’m pretty old and it gets hot and cold down in Canberra so laying on the ground isn’t as easy these days. Does anyone know the reasons for the otherwise great cars having Such a deplorable filter location.

One reason why I have acquired old doonas from the girlfriend. As a tip, instead of discarding old office chairs, remove the back and arms. You can use the back to lie down on and the swivel base of the chair is handy to sit on while working on the brakes, removing wheels etc.

Like yourself I have wondered about the not so easy location of the oil filter cartridge housing under the Toyota compared to other vehicle manufacturer's engines being more easily accessible from the top  It is designed so that the oil filter housing can be drained prior to removal of the actual housing. In reality, I end up partial undoing the housing any oil then drains into a catch pan. Still ends up being a bit messy but at least most of the oil ends up in the pan instead of over the engine or on the ground.

• Like 1

Same here Michael.  I do the oil & filter changes on both our cars and they both have the same setup.
Why?  I have never seen anyone give a reason.  The filters would be cheaper to produce for one thing.
It sure is messy and awkward and a shame in such a great vehicle.  Enjoy your Kluger!!!  I have been driving mine for over 8 yrs and still love it.

• 2 months later...

Kluger filter not that bad, use 4WD ramps, remove the small plug in the end of the filter canister first, drain engine, then put some hose on the plug insert that comes with every genuine filter, stick it into the valve under the plug you removed, drain filter housing this way with no mess. Then remove this plastic drain pipe you inserted, undo filter housing, minimal mess this way, basically it’s the factory method and I guess it’s easy when you are standing under it on a hoist!! :))

My way of thinking is that you have to get under there anyway to undo the sump plug so what's the difference if the filter is on the bottom. I don't think Toyota did it on purpose to spite us. It is what it is. Sometimes a great engine design requires the oil filter to be on the bottom..

Whisselblower makes a good point about the factory method. It would be a breeze if you had access to a lift right ? 

It's never bothered me to get under the car and I never as much as spill a drop when doing mine.