Toyota Aurion 2017 unlocking beep tone

nikolce

i have Toyota Aurion 2017 the beep tone when locking and unlocking doesnt seem to work anymore . The doors do lock in unlock with the remote and by touching the doors handles. The blinkers do go off when its locking and unlocking. If i leave the key inside and attempt to lock it the buzzer or beep noise goes off or if the car is running and the key is outside the car the buzzer or beep goes off. i have checked the setting in the stereo its on in the setting for locking and unlocking . Can somebody help me 

I would take a stab and just say there could be some kind of software glitch. Nothing major not having the beep really and having said that I doubt it would affect the normal function of the vehicle. Sometimes the ECU can get funky and behave strangely kind of like your mobile phone or PC. A reset usually cleans it up.

You can try to do a hard reset of the car's system by disconnecting the battery terminals, THEN, short them out.  This will discharge the capacitative storage of the ECU, clears all the fault codes and refreshes the system essentially.

i just tried it i left it for over 5 mins the connect the terminals while battery was disconnected but still nothing everything got reset back to factory but still nothing

I think 5 minutes might not be long enough. If you have the time, allow it to discharge for say half an hour and then re connect and see. If the problem is still there, go back into your stereo settings and make sure the beep is enabled. If it is, then I'd be looking at the speaker for the beep. I was told it's located in one of the headlights. The plug may have come loose. I'm not at home right now and can't check it on mine for you but I will try and take a look when I get back. I suspect it's still the same system on the 2017 as it is on my 2012.

Have you looked in your vehicle handbook for any additional information ? 

yes i looked at all the settings in the stereo. i grabbed my friends computer i plugged it in the car played around with setting for the remote wireless key and you can check if the beep mode works so i press lock and unlock and the beep works . but when i tried it still nothing but il try for around 30 mins unplugg the battery

8 hours ago, nikolce said:

remote wireless key and you can check if the beep mode works so i press lock and unlock and the beep works .

Are you saying that the beep works only when you press the fob buttons and does not when you using the wireless (hand option) ?

no i had plugged in the diagnosnic computer and there was and option thr check wireless key entrance just to check if thr remote works and beep works but when i unplug the computer still doesnt work. i will try tonight and unplug the battery for over 30mins and see what happens

Ok no problem. 

If the beep still doesn't work try and locate the speaker for the beep. I read that it's attached to one of the headlights. I have yet to confirm this but it's possible the info is good.

Perhaps a connector has dislodged. 

Good luck and we'll wait for your follow up.

Have a nice day. 👍

The siren long beeeps but doesn't short beep ? The system sounds like it's working, you sure you have adjusted all the controls on the head unit correctly & the loudness is adjusted high enough to hear the chirping ? See attached.

Might the car still under warranty ?

Doors_No_Answer_Back.pdf GSV50R_Doors.pdf

Wireless_Doorlock_Buzzer.pdf

Edited by ZZT86

On 8/27/2020 at 8:21 AM, nikolce said:

i had plugged in the diagnosnic computer and there was and option thr check wireless key entrance just to check if thr remote works and beep works but when i unplug the computer still doesnt work.

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

The siren long beeeps but doesn't short beep ?

Nik mentions that when he plugged the scan tool in to check settings, it all looked like the beep is initiated in the settings but when unplugging the scan tool and when hand locking and unlocking, it still doesn't make the beep or beep beep. 

It's a weird one I must say. It's either got to be a loose connection somewhere or possibly a faulty beep speaker. I will try and see where it is this morning before wifey goes out and see what I can find.

By the way, where do you find those amazing nuggets of Toyota info ?

Ok. So I jacked up the car, removed the front driver's side wheel and semi detached the inner mud guard. The beep speaker is mounted to the upper skirt just below the top and behind the headlight.

So to sum up, you mentioned that the beep does sound when it detects the key is in the cabin and when you try to lock it via the handle and it also beeps when the engine is running and it detects you walking away from the "zone". I think those would be three beeps. Is this the story so far ?

So the beeper actually does work, it only doesn't beep when locking or unlocking with the hand or remote. If the device is acting up, it's an easy swap, but if it's software related then you'll need an Intelligent tester, most likely Toyota to hook up to it and check. Sounds to me like a software glitch. If the speaker is beeping in one instance and not the other, then I'd say there is a setting or command that is not communicating it.

It's this blue device here:

20200829_083448.jpg

20200829_083619.jpg

20200829_083631.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Well done Tony, yep its under there, in the words of the great Bill Lawry 'can you believe that' ?

Info from web based repair manual 😉  

1 hour ago, nikolce said:

yes il have to take it to toyota its still under warranty

Please let us know what they find. It will be very interesting to know.

Sorry we couldn't be of much help here Nik. Electronics are a minefield, especially these can bus systems. You really need a high end scan tool with the appropriate diagnostic software to correctly interrogate these systems.

All the best :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, nikolce said:

toyota just reset to factory settings on the stereo and it worked

I see. Was this not possible in the general settings on the head unit or did they have to hook up to the OBD II port to do this ?

just on the stereo itself but my boot release isnt working when i leave the key inside the car unlocked but the boot wont open only when i get the remote closer to the boot . check if it opens for you when the car is unlocked and the remote inside the car

50 minutes ago, nikolce said:

just on the stereo itself

Didn't you say that you already tried this and it still didn't work ? What did Toyota do that was any different ?

50 minutes ago, nikolce said:

my boot release isnt working when i leave the key inside the car unlocked but the boot wont open only when i get the remote closer to the boot . check if it opens for you when the car is unlocked and the remote inside the car

I will try this and let you know. I can't remember if I've ever left the key in the car and attempted to open the boot. I've always had the fob in my pocket when I would wash or work on it. Interesting you should raise this. I'll get back to you Nik.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by Tony Prodigy

24 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

key must be inside the car.

Smart start keyless entry. As long as it's on your person and you are within range it will work. For example. I can stand say 2 metres outside the car with the fob in my pocket and my wife can still start the car.

• Like 1

i rebooked it next week with toyota they will plug a osd computer in it i got them to try other aurion just like mine when the key is unlocked i got them to place the fob key on the front drivere seat closed the front door and i was able to open the boot lid so with mine i dnt understand what is going on