Rubber type spray on coating on the frame rails - Aurion

Poyda

Just wondering what that rubber coating spray on the frame rails on my Aurion (2012) is called, and can we buy it at Supercheap Auto, Repco etc?

I think it's factory sprayed on, I assume to stop rust forming.

Hi Peter,

If you have access to a compressor, this product will be the best for what you want. You will also need the deadening gun to go with it. SCA also sells that.

If you're looking for a cheaper way, and sometimes it's not that cheap when you consider how much it costs, is to use the aerosol spray version. Be aware though, that the aerosol spray version won't give you the "textured" finish as the above mentioned product will. Keep this in mind. 

Repco and the others will sell their own versions of this, so do your research first.

Hope that helps.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the information and the link.

I am looking at either that product and I also found this one on Supercheap's site which is the cheaper version I guess, so you reckon the duplicolor won't give the same finish.

My Aurion is from May 2012 and it is the Arctic Frost colour and some sections on the underbody have that grey colour, but both these are black, so I want to try to blend it in if possible. Don't suppose they have a grey version? Not that it matters, but just personal preference.

Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

Cheers,

Peter.

19 minutes ago, Poyda said:

I am looking at either that product and I also found this one on Supercheap's site which is the cheaper version I guess, so you reckon the duplicolor won't give the same finish.

This may be ok, depending on the finish you want. I don't think it will give that textured finish that you see from factory. In order to get that factory look, you must use the deadening gun with an air compressor. I still have my deadening gun I use to use over 30 years ago. I did many cars in the Septone product you see here, and I must admit, I was surprised they still make the stuff. It's a good product and can mimic the original factory texture. Just mask off very well the areas you don't want covered and put some floor covering down because it can get messy if you're not careful.

If you plan on using the rubberised version, you will want to meticulously clean the surface to be applied over so it sticks properly. Read the can before you buy it and see if there is a primer for it as well. This may or may not be needed. But you will definitely need to prep the surface well and wipe it down with prepsol before you spray. 

Post up some pics of the job you're doing. It's always nice to see people's DIY jobs.