Auto fold side mirrors?

Henstepper

From my experience, the stock standard side mirrors [in the 40 series] do fold.

This may not be the case for your vehicle if the side mirrors have been replaced with electric folding ones.

Toyota Australia didn't install electronic folding side mirrors for the 40 series, unfortunately, even for the higher specs. They didn't do it for both the pre and post-facelift models. 

It's sad to think that the lesser models such as the 152 series Corolla of the same era came with electronic folding side mirrors from Japan.

2 hours ago, Noodle Boy said:

It's sad to think that the lesser models such as the 152 series Corolla of the same era came with electronic folding side mirrors from Japan.

Japanese standards are always much higher than ours, which doesn't surprise me when Toyota Australia cheaps out and slips this one past us. We're not a sophisticated bunch here you see and they build our cars to reflect this.

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

From my experience, the stock standard side mirrors [in the 40 series] do fold.

This may not be the case for your vehicle if the side mirrors have been replaced with electric folding ones.

No Aurions were made with electric fold in mirrors. Not the 40 series or 50 series. The 50 series had the dip feature included on the Prodigy and Presara models. This is where the mirror glass will dip down when you select reverse to enable you to see the kerbing better and low slung objects.

It may be the O.P has aftermarket mirrors that are made to operate with fold in option meant for another market.

3 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Japanese standards are always much higher than ours, which doesn't surprise me when Toyota Australia cheaps out and slips this one past us. We're not a sophisticated bunch here you see and they build our cars to reflect this.

I have to agree on this one.

Having owned an Aurion for this long, I've come to appreciate the many amenities on the car that was not offered in the Falcon and Commodore until later on, if at all before production ended on the locally produced models of each. The push start button, for example, was finally offered in the VF Commodore in 2013 and not on the Falcon and G6/E variants ever (the system in the FPV models aren't true keyless start systems), when the Aurion 40 series had it in late 2006, borrowed from Lexus. It was standard on the facelifted 50 series AT-X for crying out loud. Electronically adjustable front seats were still not available on the top of the line FG X G6E, if I remember correctly. Yet these competing models were priced around the same as the Aurion when brand new, similar spec for spec. 

4 minutes ago, Noodle Boy said:

I have to agree on this one.

Having owned an Aurion for this long, I've come to appreciate the many amenities on the car that was not offered in the Falcon and Commodore until later on, if at all before production ended on the locally produced models of each. The push start button, for example, was finally offered in the VF Commodore in 2013 and not on the Falcon and G6/E variants ever (the system in the FPV models aren't true keyless start systems), when the Aurion 40 series had it in late 2006, borrowed from Lexus. It was standard on the facelifted 50 series AT-X for crying out loud. Electronically adjustable front seats were still not available on the top of the line FG X G6E, if I remember correctly. Yet these competing models were priced around the same as the Aurion when brand new, similar spec for spec. 

Toyota have always been ahead of the game while the Holden and Ford camps were really resisting innovating their cars to the same levels as Toyota for example. The writing was on the wall for the other two and they never felt compelled to cram any more luxury features into them while the ship was sinking so to speak. Neither the Fords or Holdens ever appealed to me due to their poor build quality and I'm not surprised of the demise. What surprises me is the cashed up bogans who pay $1 million dollars for a maloo ute for crying out loud. What madness is this ??

15 hours ago, Henstepper said:

Anyone know if the 09 aurion atx has a button to fold the side mirrors? Its not in the manual. They dont fold by hand but look like they may fold if there is a button somewhere?

Here's a link with plenty of juicy information regarding the 40 series Aurion

Hi Steve, No they didn't come with auto fold in mirrors, but manual fold I am sure were on all models, our 2009 Presara has the auto dip feature mentioned by another member on here very handy when reverse parking so you don't hit the curbing. I like many wished they did offer the auto fold feature as I don't trust many in car parks not to hit the mirrors when going by the car.

Toyota however always has something other makers copy in later models, so once again I am glad and proud to own one.

KAA