Performance mods in Australia

jakecelica

• 1 month later...

MWR is a good source (albeit not cheap) for all things 2ZZ, at least engine-bay related.

As for the exhaust, for a catback you'd probably be best off just going to your local exhaust shop and getting something made up with a Lukey or Magnaflow resonator + muffler, no point shelling out hundreds in shipping for a JDM special from the land of the rising sun when the gains will be the same.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:16 PM, jakecelica said:

Hey guys, I’m new to the forum. Planning to modify my 2002 celica with performance intake and catback exhaust. What would y’all recommend that’s easily obtainable in aus.

thanks 🙂

In terms of intakes, a mate of mine makes them in his spare time down Vic and I'm sure he's done a few Celica's in his time.

As for exhaust, couldn't have said it better than Ian. Depending on what yor future plans are with the car, a 2.5" system will yield some nice gains albeit, losing a little low end on the stock tune. Another worth while upgrade while you're doing the exhaust is porting the standard headers, it's not overally expensive and does reduce the low/mid range flat spot you may have noticed. I had ported headers on my Sportivo a few years back before upgrading and they're definitely the best bang for buck upgrade in terms of cost vs gain.

2 hours ago, Squalled said:

In terms of intakes, a mate of mine makes them in his spare time down Vic and I'm sure he's done a few Celica's in his time.

Wonder if he'd feel like knocking up one for the ZZE102...

Word of warning for intakes though, the stock MAF/ECU combination is very sensitive to pipe diameter and shape.  Going larger than stock or adding bends in the wrong places will through CEL codes and can cause poor/rough running.

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

Wonder if he'd feel like knocking up one for the ZZE102...

It's nothing flash, it's purely functional but I'm not entirely sure how he'd get around a AE102 with a 2ZZ, that would be a first for him 😅 I mean he modified my injen as it was shorter and fit much better, well for the 2 piece intake that is.

My current setup is the 3" with the 2.75" reducers at the MAF but I'm thinking of keeping that aside now that I run MAP. The pipe itself is actuall a Injen pipe from a blob eye WRX but it uses the same MAF style so it works for our cars too.

2 hours ago, Hiro said:

Word of warning for intakes though, the stock MAF/ECU combination is very sensitive to pipe diameter and shape.  Going larger than stock or adding bends in the wrong places will through CEL codes and can cause poor/rough running.

As a starting point I'd honestly advise a full 2.75" intake but, I do re-call reading/hearing that the Celica's are bit more sensitive to intake changes compared to Corolla's. I remember reading people running AEM CAI's couldn't run the Injen CAI because it needed a tune to run them, or something along those lines and I always assumed they were the same size from what I found online.