Anyone Have Some Oil Recommendations?

Wifes_Rav4

Hi,

Just coming due for my wife's first service on the car since she has had it, it has done 65,000 km, it is the 2014 Toyota Rav4 GXL AWD 2.5L Auto. Just wondering if anybody has oil recommendations please? Thank you all very much.

Main oil recommendation is to use a quality known brand full synthetic oil with the oil viscosity suitable for your engine.

I usually start by looking at the Lube Guides for your vehicle for Penrite and Nulon then Castrol and Shell. These brands are usually available at SuperCheap Auto, AutoBarn, Repco and other retailers. I usually buy on special whatever full synthetic oil is suitable for my vehicle.

I usually like to pick one known quality brand and just stick with it as others know. I don't like mixing oils, whether this matters or not, it's just good practice for me. There are many top notch premium quality oils to choose form as Ashley has pointed out, and it's a matter of who does the specials more dictates my purchasing preference.

Typically Nulon, Penrite and Shell go on special most times of the year and companies like Mobil 1 never. They are the most expensive and they don't have to be. You get more value buying form the aforementioned products. 

Keep an eye out for the Supercheap, Autobarn and Repco specials and it also pays to become a member for each and subscribe to their catalogue. You can get up to and including 50% off Fully synthetic oils if you purchase wisely. Stock up like we do. I have an oil stash that's good for another 10 oil changes and I paid almost half the retail price for them.

Also, stick to the manufacturer's specification. If it says 5W-30, then put 5W-30. Check your owners handbook or it could simply be printed on your oil cap.

6 hours ago, Wifes_Rav4 said:

Thanks guys!!! I have been very happy with Penrite in my Kia Sportage, might stick with that. Seems to be a bit of a confusion though whether to use 0W-30 or 5W-30, any ideas on that?

The "W" refers to winter and we don't have very harsh winters in Australia, except for the snowy mountains and Canberra. I live in Western Sydney and we get close to around 2 degrees C sometimes in Winter and the 5W-30 performs just fine, with the car being parked outside too. So unless you live in an area that sees below zero then just use the 5W-30. Even better if you garage your vehicle.
I've been using the same Nulon full synthetic oil since purchasing it when it had 40k on the ODO, now it's nearing 130K and the engine is in perfect condition with not even the slightest bit of tarnish or sludge.

0W will flow much faster and easier than 5W upon cold startup. This should potentially result in faster lubrication and reduced wear. As per usual, there are a few caveats in that the engine has to be designed presumably with tighter tolerances for the lower oil viscosity and that the oil molecules will be sufficient to prevent direct metat to metal contact.

Ultimate guide for the recommended oil viscosity and oil specification is the vehicle's Owner's Manual.

No direct experience [yet] with comparing the different viscosities. However, I recently noticed how diesel [viscosity of approx.2 and <3] flowed so much quicker than used 5W-30 engine oil.