Seat covers

Paulalj

Hi I have a 2020 Toyota corolla ascent sedan. 

I need waterproof or at least water resistant seat covers as I have a child with special needs.

The dealerships say they as in the man typing the email to me would probably classify them as water resistant  but won't tell me if they are actually designed to be. So he could be just full of crap.

Are genuine corolla covers classified as water resistant ? Or recommendations on some good quality ones

Hi Paula,

I am sure the fabric seat covers Toyota sell for the Corolla are NOT water resistant or water proof. Don't waste your time or money on those.

What you need is Canvas, Polyester or Nylon products. Canvas would be the best choice and is the most durable and best performing and will last for decades. I'm not sure if Toyota sell the Canvas variety for Corolla but they certainly have them for vehicles the likes of HIlux, Prado and Landcruiser. Obviously intended for the rigors of off roading or Tradie work.

I have a Holden Colorado with a full complement of Canvas seat covers and they are supremely good. Well worth the expenditure.

Just be careful if you have leather accented seats though, the canvas over these can scuff the leather. Best for use in cars with fabric trim.

Here's a website that can probably assist you if Toyota can't. Have a read and see what you think. There are a few Custom canvas seat cover people online. Take your pick

https://www.coverworld.com.au/corolla-sedan-canvas.html

Thanks heaps. My partner went out and paid for the darn corolla ones knowing I was looking into water proof ones 😞 he got them ordered in especially and paid for at a non local dealer. 

I'm going to replace them in a few months so at least he can see they were used for a period of time. He just wanted to have a gift for me on Christmas which is so very sweet. He really didn't care what he got as long as it was something. He is aware it is not what I want or what I would buy. And that ill replace them when money isn't quite so tight. (I'm on unpaid leave over Christmas). Such a waste of about $500! He just said to put the contience mats under my daughters butt still. As that has been what I've done for years. But the point of the seat covers was she is entering high school. She doesn't need people to see that and judge her. Waterproof covers won't stand out. A contience mat does. 

I feel your frustration Paula. Is it possible to return them and get a refund and reinvest the money in the proper ones ?

Perhaps the seller can order you the canvas variety. See if you can deal it out somehow.

This is a personal matter for you and so I won't get into specifics. I sincerely hope you get a good outcome.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Kind Regards
Tony 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Tony.

The dealer is over an hour away, and dont respond to messages.  My partner has the reciept. I did ask prior to gifting if he was interested in returning and he said no. He hates returning items.  I heard back from my local dealer. Toyota only make the one cover for the corolla too..so I need to order non genuine. 

Buy a set of aftermarket covers and Scotchgard them?  Obviously will need to be airbag-compliant for the front seats at least, but probably the cheapest/easiest option.