Yaris Cross Space Saver

Ian Gibbs

I recently bought a Yaris Cross GX Hybrid AWD which came with a foam tyre repair kit. This was almost a deal breaker but the car was in stock, waiting time was up to 12 months and the dealer told me that they probably had a space saver tyre which would fit.

It now transpires that the required tyre size is T145/90D16 106M which the dealer dosn't have. Tyre stores don't seems to stock this size and rims are in similar short supply. Previous Yaris models were of similar size but had 4 stud wheels instead of 5. I have searched extensively on line and even if I could find what I want some of the suppliers are asking $200 to deliver.

My reason for concern is that I live 90 mins drive from Cairns. Roads are pretty rough up here. There is nothing to speak of North or West and significant cities South are all separated by distances of 350 - 400 K. If they don't stock what I need in Cairns there is not much chance of finding it in Innisfail or Ingham!

Does anyone have any bright ideas of how to solve this problem

On 1/21/2022 at 1:45 PM, Ian Gibbs said:

I recently bought a Yaris Cross GX Hybrid AWD which came with a foam tyre repair kit.

Weight saving madness at its best. I'd bite the bullet and pay the $200 for the spare wheel given your circumstances, location and driving distances. Cheap insurance than being stuck besides a remote stretch of road with a fizzled out can of spray goo that won't get you far.

• 1 year later...