Hi All,

New to the forum, I'm after some help regarding a ticking noise coming from my 200 series; 

I picked up the car from an auction, noticed a slight ticking noise when the car started, and gets louder as the revs are increased

I went through the service manual and used tech stream. - the injector values were fine.

Then I did a cylinder shutdown test - I noticed the ticking reduced considerably when I shut off #8, however the ticking was still slightly there

I went ahead and changed #8 injector - when I started the car the ticking was still there, if not even a little louder than before. 

Any suggestions as to what it may be will be of great help

Some info of the car

2010 - 200 Series
4.5TD - 1VD
340k kms

Thanks!

Edited by jaggaj

Sounds to me like you have an issue in your valve train. You mentioned that you purchased it from an auction. I suspect it's had a hard life and may have missed an oil change or two and it possibly ran low on oil pressure and did some irreversible damage. 

I'd take it to a qualified technician and have them inspect the timing chain and valve train. It may be fixable.

• 3 weeks later...