Wing mirror acting up

WillemW

Hi all. First time contributor here.
Having some issues with the RH wing mirror on my 2015 Sahara.
At engine start, the mirror audibly clicks and swivels outwards to its furthest point ands stops there, making it useless. I have to physically reach out and swing the mirror back in to where it should be. Alternately, I can press the mirror button on the dash. This brings both mirrors all the way in (as they should be). Pressing the button again, I have to physically stop the mirror from going too far.
Used to be an intermittent problem. Now it happens every time. Considering that Toyota quoted over $4,300 to replace it with new, wondering if there is a fix to this. Appreciate any ideas...

Edited by WillemW

$4.5k to replace a mirror ???

That is absolutely ludicrous. Wow. I'm not sure what could be causing the issue, but it could be whatever controller that governs the mirror that could be sending a mixed signal to the mirror. You'd have to delve into the control aspect and see what other hardware is attached to the function of these auto folding mirror systems. Looks like it's over extending and it's possible that it's not the mirror itself as it's controlled by the vehicle management system. 

it is also possible that the controller may also reside within the mirror, hence the stupid price.

Hi Willem, I had an issue with my Aurion Auto Tilt, when placed in Reverse it would go down as expected but back into drive it would continue to go down had to reset it and then place the mirror switch into the middle so the mirror stayed locked. It also happened whenever the memory setting was used as my wife has her own setting so had to always reset the mirror. I am replacing the mirror assembly that I located on eBay for a good price, I do hope another mirror assembly will sort out the issue, and WOW that is some price for a genuine mirror assembly not knowing if that will fix the issue. Still sounds like one of those weird glitches that annoy us all, maybe even try locating the fuse that controls the mirrors or taking the door trim off and unplug the mirror start the car turn it off and plug back in worth a try mate, I do hope it is sorted fast for you mate as it  is damn annoying when they don't play nice.

KAA

On 1/22/2022 at 8:19 PM, WillemW said:

At engine start, the mirror audibly clicks and swivels outwards to its furthest point ands stops there, making it useless. I have to physically reach out and swing the mirror back in to where it should be. Alternately, I can press the mirror button on the dash. This brings both mirrors all the way in (as they should be). Pressing the button again, I have to physically stop the mirror from going too far.

This is a long shot, but if you watch the video I've added below, it may be something as simple as a clean up and re lube of the inner mechanism.

It's not Toyota specific, but the general idea may be the same. If you have some time, remove the mirror, disassemble it and perform the necessary work before shelling out crazy money. 

From one of favourite BMW channels. Fast forward to 47:10. That's the mirror segment.

• 11 months later...

I've had exactly the same issue, with roughly the same cost quoted by Toyota. And I've just fixed it by replacing the mirror (and camera) from another vehicle. It looks like the mechanism inside the camera got damaged, so the sensor that decides on mirror location is looking for whatever tells it that it's in the right place. Either replace the whole mechanism or the mirror. THis may help