Ignition fuse issue

rupertmja

Hilux pickup truck. 3.0 Diesel. 2001. 5L engine. Non turbo. Got an issue I cant' figure out. It conked out while going slowly along a country road. Plenty of fuel. After a lot of messing ... I discovered it blows the ignition fuse when trying to start. 
First click. Radio stuff. Second click, ignition on, fuse doesn't blow, third click to start and it blows the 10A fuse. Only when trying to start. Starter works fine. I think fuel is gettin thru - unscrewed an injector pipe - but not a lot comes out. So ... maybe the fuel solenoid?
Any ideas? If the fuel solenoid dies ... well I can't see why it would blow a fuse. It activates on the second click of the key I think. Can't hear it click though. And I was driving when it conked out -  not trying to start it.
Edited by rupertmja
Spelling

Hi Rupert, All I can think is that something is shorting to ground . 

14 hours ago, rupertmja said:

third click to start and it blows the 10A fuse. Only when trying to start. Starter works fine.

So it will crank over a few time then blow ?? If so, it doesn't necessarily mean the starter is fine. That could be the source of your problem right there. The solenoid contacts could be going bad creating a high resistive load or your wiring to the starter could be compromised. The signal wires can tend to get brittle over time from exhaust heat and as such expose the conductor at which point could be making intermittent contact to ground. So check your starter wiring first. If you're handy, remove the starter motor and open up the solenoid to inspect the contacts. 

15 hours ago, rupertmja said:

If the fuel solenoid dies ... well I can't see why it would blow a fuse. It activates on the second click of the key I think.

Yes, the fuel systems would initiate on the second click so as to provide the needed fuel pressure to the fuel rail, so to check this you'd need to disconnect the fuel supply line to the fuel rail and then activate the circuit to see if the fuel streams out. If you know where the fuel solenoid is, you could also try disconnecting it and THEN try to start the engine. If the fuse keeps blowing then you'll know it's not the fuel solenoid. Process of elimination. My mind is telling me something around the starter is isn't right. When was the last time it was replaced ? It's a 2001 model so it's getting on a bit, not knowing how much mileage you have on it either.

Let us know how you get on. I'm curious to see what it is.