MWR now selling stage 2&3 Piper cams for 2ZZ

I am always suspicious when a retailer wont release cam profile details, and in any case, very few businesses own a cam grinder. Piper however, design and make cams and they are a +30 year player, so you have real background to rely on.

Doing a set of cams plus shimming can take all day, anyone who reckons they can do it properly in 2 hrs should come work for me.

They have released the profile, maybe they were waiting for Redliner's confirmation? But anyway here they are;

..............Duration.........................................Lift

........Inlet...........Exhaust....................Inlet...............Exhaust

Low....High......Low.........High.........Low......High..........Low.......High

276.....288.......272.........286.......10.5mm 12.3mm 10.5mm 12.1mm

So very similar to Piper Stage 2 on the high cam, just a tiny bit more lift on the intake, and a big chunk more on the exhaust. The low cam has a bit more lift than Piper Stage 2. I think the cams would work better with more duration on the intake side than the exhaust side myself. But I don't know how close the valves are to the pistons at that amount of lift.

2 hours would do a dodgy job with no clearance check me thinks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they suitable for road use?

I'm using Piper Stage 2 on the road; and they work fine on the stock ECU.

much gains? who did the install? timing cover removed to do this? who set the gap cam clearance? take long? wanna see a vid please of it idling, sound.. driving, etc, very interested :rolleyes:

much gains? who did the install? timing cover removed to do this? who set the gap cam clearance? take long? wanna see a vid please of it idling, sound.. driving, etc, very interested :rolleyes:

• Mid range gains are great, ask t_money as he has had a drive; plenty of go between 3500 and 6500. Since I have stock intake and exhaust my peak gains weren't great, see here for my results. That's tuned cams, I still have to get around to adding in the untuned cams to that graph; but they were very similar to just running the tuned PowerFC.
  • I did the install.
  • Timing cover left in place. Things would be so much easier if the engine wasn't in the car.
  • I set the clearenaces. I followed Bootsed2.0's guide and wrote a spreadsheet to make things easy to use. I also have a heap of shims (and they are not for sale).
  • To do the cam itself plus checking clearnaces was about 8 hours. I'm not sure how long it took to swap the VVT over as it was a bit of stuffing about to ensure it would move freely (ie. not jam which would prrvent VVT from working) and I lost track of time. Took me a while as I haven't done a cam previously.
  • Sounds exactly like stock.

To add to this, the dynamic compression ratio does drop slightly. Installing the MWR flat faced valves would possibly return some of this, but this will obviously require removing the head to do; in which case may as well upgrade the springs to rev higher.