slow acceleration

deanmitopoulos

Depends on how it's designed & for what purpose. Fuel, engine, kerb weight & gearing all play a part in how they go & feel. I've driven diesel cars that go like the clappers.

If it's diesel, then it would definitely have to be a turbo diesel. Non turbo is rubbish. Pure slug box.

My 2020 Holden Colorado pulls like a train and is quite nippy off the mark surprisingly. 

It's similar to the D-Max I had previously only much nicer and smoother. The D-Max was very agricultural and loud. The new gen D-Max seems to be much better than its predecessor although I've never been in one. Our company assures me that the next round of vehicles we'll be getting is Hilux.. Don't mind if I do !!  😍

17 hours ago, deanmitopoulos said:

compared to petrol cars is it normal to be a lot slower to accelerate when taking off?

I assume you were talking about diesel. 

• 5 weeks later...

Yes. It has power however I notice when starting off from a stop it takes longer than other cars to accelerate up to speed. Mine is fully loaded with ladders and shelving. Just wondering if this is because of those engines in mine have a slower reaction time than the modern engines in the newer hiace’s and other makes of vans that speed off like a sports car.

9 hours ago, deanmitopoulos said:

Yes. It has power however I notice when starting off from a stop it takes longer than other cars to accelerate up to speed. Mine is fully loaded with ladders and shelving. Just wondering if this is because of those engines in mine have a slower reaction time than the modern engines in the newer hiace’s and other makes of vans that speed off like a sports car.

I think I understand what you have there. 

It's called "Throtle Lag". 

My Diesel does it too as do most other vehicles, but I feel that the diesel cars do it far worse. 

This is because you have an electronic throttle, (no more hard cable), It's what's called "fly by wire" accelerator and when you put the boot into it, it does nothing for a second or two. The onboard computer does all these calculations before it allows the engine to accelerate. This is normal, albeit frustrating, but there are aftermarket gadgets you can buy to cure this.

Here's a video explaining this process a bit further.