Toyota/Lexus Water Pumps

KAA

Hi All, Another superb video from our Guru AMD The Car Care Nut, this one covers Toyota and Lexus Water pumps their issues and signs to watch out for concerning leakage and replacements. Totally enjoy this mans etiquette workmanship and honesty.

Enjoy

KAA

• Like 2

This Car Nut's video has provided some factual support for my skeptical thinking about long life coolants.

Quick learning from this video was to replace the super long life coolant every 5 years/50,000 miles/80,000 kms.

If it is the red coolant then replace every 3 years/30,000/48,000 kms.

• Like 2

On 9/4/2022 at 8:09 PM, campbeam said:

Quick learning from this video was to replace the super long life coolant every 5 years/50,000 miles/80,000 kms.

I still have the factory fill coolant in mine :eek:

It's current on approx. 146K. No issues to be honest. I have to pull my finger out and get it done asap !!

I have two spare water pumps on standby. My early purchase of the aftermarket one and one I recently splurged on and got myself the updated Toyota "petal" design flange version. I'll most likely be using that one in the event it's required.

• Like 2

Yes guys he is wealth of information, and thinkgs like long life coolant is excellent advise as I never considered it an issue so will be doing my own replacement this weekend (as it probably will be raining heavy they say) so rather than sit on my butt inside I will replace the coolant. Bought 2 large bottles of the Toyota Red about a year ago so time to get busy. 

Keep Safe Mates

KAA

• Like 2

I recall a few posts about flushing the coolant system for the purposes of replacing the coolant system. There is an engine drain plug to be located and opened to fully flush the coolant system.

An alternative is to drain the radiator then refill with distilled water. Idle engine to circulate and dilute the residual coolant, then drain radiator again. Repeat if considered necessary. Drain and refill with the new coolant. This is what another Forum member has done, so I have remembered his post for future consideration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, campbeam said:

There is an engine drain plug to be located and opened to fully flush the coolant system.

I don't recall exactly where it is, but my thoughts turn to dread when it comes to engine drain plugs. Imagine you snap the head of or worse still cross thread the thing.

I hope it's robust enough to be removed in order to drain the block. I'd still do a final flush with distilled water and drain the block again just to be sure.

I wonder if you have to use a thread sealant for the drain plug or is it self sealing by virtue of its design. I'll have to look into this a bit further.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KAA said:

Yes guys he is wealth of information, and thinkgs like long life coolant is excellent advise as I never considered it an issue so will be doing my own replacement this weekend (as it probably will be raining heavy they say) so rather than sit on my butt inside I will replace the coolant. Bought 2 large bottles of the Toyota Red about a year ago so time to get busy. 

Keep Safe Mates

KAA

I totally agree rob. TCCN is exceptionally good at what he does and he makes it look and sound easy too lol...  I'm sure most of it is for him.

To do the coolant flush I'm going to have to have everything ready before I even turn a spanner. Make a checklist first, watch a few videos to familiarise yourself with the process, then go for it.

I have to dig up my coolant funnel bleeding kit I purchased a while back. I know I have it here somewhere 😄

• Haha 1

Tony I am sure you probably have 3 coolant funnels LOL knowing your massive hoard of all things bright and shiny mate. Yes same procedure for me will watch a few videos first make loads of notes and line up all I need then just pace myself doing everything in order. I am sure it will go fine but I am a fussy guy these days, so as with anything I do lately there will be coffee breaks sit and ponder breaks and then cleaning everything in sight breaks LOL

Hope all goes smooth and simple for you mate

Stay Safe