Thoughts on specific transmission fluid types

Good morning fellow Toyota owners,

I was wondering if anyone has experimented using different brands of Transmission fluid?

I know it's strange since as long as it meets the grade it shouldn't matter......

But I guess I'm curious if anyone (who is weird like me) has tried different brands and noticed any different results.

The Current offerings are:

- Genuine
-Penrite ATF LV Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Nulon Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid (SYNATF)
- Castrol Auto Transmission Fluid - Transmax Multivehicle 
- Valvoline Maxlife ATF (which according to the Valvoline website fits my car, which conflicts with what "Repco" etc say.....)

I have previously used the Chief oil brand that was available at SuperCheap Auto; at least 3 years ago.

I changed to Penrite ATF LV ATF and intending to continue using it.

I think that I noticed a slight difference in the smoothness of the gear shifts but this could be due to the multiple ATF changes.

I did do some research/internet searches for the suitable ATF for the U660E transmission and the Toyota WS specification. At the time, I thought that the Penrite ATF LV was better meeting the Toyota WS specification. Also when the Penrite ATF LV was on special [previously $36 for 4 litres], it was more attractively priced than the other brands. No reason for me to consider changing especially as I have multiple containers in my stockpile.

Still keeping my options open so will consider changing ATF product in the future if a better quality ATF exceeding the WS specification is available at a comparative price.

• Like 1

I don't see the harm in using aftermarket fluid as long as it's compatible with Toyota WS fluid.

I'm one who doesn't like to mix oils or fluids and generally just stick to one from the start.

I've been using Nulon fully synthetic oil for the engine since I purchased it at roughly 40K and it now almost at 150K. No varnish, no sludge, no issues. Excellent oil.

The transmission, I carried out a full flush using the Penrite LV, so it's mostly Penrite fluid in there now, and the transmission has performed flawlessly since. I plan to just keep going with Penrite. Just wait till your favourite product is on sale, and it will be at some point, and stock up like the rest of us. 

• Like 1