Cold Air Intake P-Plate Legal or illegal in Victoria?

Angrysubie64

So, I got myself an AEM Cold Air Intake system for my 2000 Toyota Celica SX, but I am curious to know if I am allowed to have this mod on while I’m on my Green Ps.

The VicRoads Guide to modification for motor vehicles says: ‘air filter (including pod-type air filters) on EFI vehicles if there are no other intake modifications, all sensors remain in place and the filter is a dry (non-oiled) type’ is classed as an ‘Approved Modifications’ and then someone on this Forum Page: https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1772537 said:

“IN Victoria, it states that P Plates cannot drive engines with modifications to improve performance.

That is open to interpretation. Technically you are modifying the air intake system, not the engine.”

So, I’m basically modding the intake system, and of course the exhaust, and nothing else. So, is it illegal for P platers like me in Victoria to give my Celica those two Mods?

944FA32B-C50A-49A2-886A-DACD66AD8EC2.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Hiro said:

That Whirlpool post is from 2011.  Regulations change.

Ok I forgot to check how old that post is, but anyway do yo still know if Green P-platers like me are allowed to have a Cold Air Intake fitted in anyway?

I'm guessing if it's just a filter then fine, if you messing with the MAF sensor & its positioning then you potentially be altering the car's emissions & that's illegal. Those cold air intakes often produce negative results compared to stock intakes, they're hardly worth considering really.

I can't see the problem with that pod filter. It's just a filter and the cold air intake is actually an improvement over stock. The engine can run more efficiently despite whatever token HP it adds.

I think the road authority would be more concerned if you modify the overall engine in terms of big horsepower thus having a car in the hands of a young, inexperienced driver that could have potential for disaster. 

Keep it simple for now as you have obviously chosen to do and when you are older and have your full license, then you can go nuts and build the car you always wanted.

Drive safe mate. :thumbsup: