Glugging when turning off car

Henstepper

I noticed today when turning the car on then turning it off i could hear a glugging sound coming from under the hood. The kind of sound water makes as uts going down the sink. It doesnt happen on long distance just very short trips. Coolant level is normal, no leaks, no overheating. Anyone know what it could be?

Next time it does it grab hold of the Top radiator hose ( caution it will be hot to touch ) and if its bubbling, you will feel it, the top hose should feel firm due to pressure, if its not,put a new Radiator Cap on it

On 8/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, Henstepper said:

I noticed today when turning the car on then turning it off i could hear a glugging sound coming from under the hood. The kind of sound water makes as uts going down the sink. It doesnt happen on long distance just very short trips. Coolant level is normal, no leaks, no overheating. Anyone know what it could be?

Has the cooling system been worked on recently ??

It could be what the others have said. Not sure if trapped air could be one as the engine may overheat if not bled properly, so my theory would be coolant pushing through the radiator cap into the coolant bottle. You can observe this yourself.

It's not uncommon for the rad cap to weaken over time. I've replaced mine already just as a a preventative measure and also keep another new Genuine Toyota one as a spare. Be sure to get the correct pressure rating for your vehicle. Specify your VIN too if you have too.

If it doesn't overheat or leak, then I wouldn't worry about it.