Sump Plug and Oil Filter Torque

I'm doing a service on my 2019 Corolla Hybrid (ZWE211) this weekend. Is the torque of the sump plug and oil filter, 37 Nm (27 ft lbf) and 25 Nm (18 ft lbf) respectively?

Edited by Grechie

Sounds about right. Oil filters are usually just hand tightened anyway and 25Nm would be about that.

Sump plugs don't need to be tightened to buggery either. Tighten it with a socket and nip it up a bit more and you're good. You don't want to over tighten the sump bolt for fear of stripping the threads, then you'll be in trouble.

I found the torque specs online. The sump plug and oil filter are 37 Nm and 17.5 Nm, respectively. The earlier models, like the ZRE182, with canister type of oil filter is 25 Nm.

Edited by Grechie

On 10/14/2023 at 8:20 PM, Grechie said:

The sump plug and oil filter are 37 Nm and 17.5 Nm, respectively. The earlier models, like the ZRE182, with canister type of oil filter is 25 Nm.

7Nm difference on the oil filter isn't going to cause any issue. Hand tighten it and that's it. Just make sure your hands aren't oily so you get a decent purchase on the filter.

You don't have to be anal with oil filter and sump plug tightening torques. You're over thinking this.

I'd be more concerned with head bolts and those kind of items which need to be of a specific torque.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

7Nm difference on the oil filter isn't going to cause any issue. Hand tighten it and that's it. Just make sure your hands aren't oily so you get a decent purchase on the filter.

You don't have to be anal with oil filter and sump plug tightening torques. You're over thinking this.

It can be important if you've got the replaceable element type with the plastic filter housing (which the previous generation 2ZR had) rather than a spin-on metal canister, using the correct tool and the correct torque is important in those cases both for sealing and for not damaging the housing.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:19 AM, Hiro said:

It can be important if you've got the replaceable element type with the plastic filter housing (which the previous generation 2ZR had)

That's why I said hand tighten. The cannister has an O-Ring so mechanic tightening isn't really necessary. You can do it if it makes you feel better, but I have tried that and 25nm is practically hand tightening torque anyway. The O.P's cannister is 17.5Nm so even better case to hand tighten. I don't think a torque wrench can even read that low anyway right ?

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's why I said hand tighten. The cannister has an O-Ring so mechanic tightening isn't really necessary. You can do it if it makes you feel better, but I have tried that and 25nm is practically hand tightening torque anyway. The O.P's cannister is 17.5Nm so even better case to hand tighten. I don't think a torque wrench can even read that low anyway right ?

Hand tightening is fine as long as you've got good access and good grip, on some setups you might need to be using tools (and funky oil filter cup tools in order to actually grip the housing) at which point it can be very easy to over-tighten.

And 17.5Nm is well within the range of a lot of 3/8" torque wrenchs