width of tyre & width of rim

DuGong

my rim is 6.5in wide...

i was wondering can i run a tyre that is 205/60-r15? i am currently running 195/60-R15

if so. is it safe?

It would be fine.

6.5" + 2" = 8.5" ----> metric = 216cm = 216mm <---- so 215mm is the highest width tyre you can go.

Your speedmeter reading would also be 2% slower meaning when your speedmeter shows 100km/h, you're actually doing 102km/h.

Safety wise, as long as your new tyres are the correct load rating, it should be fine.

cool will this effect my ride? like will the car tend to roll more?

Wider tires, assuming all other factors are equal, commonly have stiffer side-walls and experience less roll. This gives better cornering performance.

I'm running 205's, I wish C.Drives were available in 195's. Cos there is too much sidewall deflection. Just be careful going through anything that "snakes".

Yokohama have a C.Drive AC01 195/50R16 88V listed on their Australian site :)

They do too. Might get that one next time if I still have stock rims :lol:

Edit: Just remembered the real reason why I couldn't get them. The tyre shop said the 195/50 had an OD too different compared to stock to use.

Edited by SuperDave

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

i just put 205/50/16 c.drives in my car OMG, i love the handling.....

i 2nd that -i put 4 brand new Yokohama C drives 205/50/16 on my stock stivo rims - HUGE handling improvement, especially in the wet :) was worth the extra bit

btw - Bob Jane T mart - Hornsby, Sydney NSW - they did me a deal of 180 a tyre, which i think was a pretty good price, highly recommended!!!

my rim is 6.5in wide...

i was wondering can i run a tyre that is 205/60-r15? i am currently running 195/60-R15

if so. is it safe?

is this on a normal rolla or is it for a stivo ?

Pretty sure the Sportivo is running 16x6 but you can also run 205s on there without any problems.

I run 215/35/18 which throw the overall diameter of wheel and tyre by 12mm. QLD law allows you to go up to 15mm over. I worked it out and it means at 100km/h I am really doing 102. Can't even tell performance wise.

Edited by Daniel

I've got 205/45R16 Bridgestone GIIIs, and there is bugger-all roll in their sidewalls on a 6.5" rim. Then again, it's hard to tell with stock suspension rolling so much, but they're definitely more stable and have less roll than the stock 175/65R14s