changing catback

ok i dont think many people are awake here...

but has anyone changed or removed a catback exhaust on the corolla? im trying to get the two bolts off up in front of the firewall, but i just cant get to them enough to apply sufficient pressure to get them undone... they are done up so tight!

anyone know an easy way to get them off? i dont wanna pay someone to do it if its just a matter of unbolting it and bolting it back on again...

firewall? u mean by the engine? those are sealed with some heat resistant glue stuff im sure! as for the bolts they tight for a reason. so becareful!

ugh... i got the muffler off with enough force... and they were alright...

but i cant get these ones off!! its driving me insane that they are just bolts, nothing worth paying to have done... but i cant get to them!!

everything is so awkward and the stuff that shields the pipes is this thin sheet metal, and ive cut myself open twice now...

stupid cars...

yeah cos i put the stock muffler back on to drive to jason's place and pick up his ramps...

so its all still in one piece, and ive spent my whole night lying under my car trying to get enough leverage to get these bolts...

lame lame lame...

time to start saving somehow i guess and get it installed by someone who can do it...

spray it with some WD40 and see if that helps?

its a two way bolt right?

so u need a spanner to hold the one end while you loosen the other.

hacksaw? steroids? (to help you get the strength to undo the bolt)

:P

just joking mate, i don't really have anything constructive to add, except, try getting a longer spanner so you have more leverage and also, make sure the bolt is not welded... :P

Edited by Mintos

tom ! ... just listen to me and wait till saturday when we go to the exhaust place ...

they will have it done in a jiffy and at least there is some kind of workmanship gurantee

As pete said .. im sure that there is some kind high temp sealant which is applied ... and there is no way you will be able to get the bolts as tight as they are ...

and there has to be some welding anyway ...

so hold your horses ... its only 3 more days ..... do work and get a few $$ ....at least he can quote you on sat so you know how much you are up for ....

I got my cat put on and flanged so i can upgrade later for 70 bucks.

I remember the stivo zort i got was 2 inches short of the 1ZZ cat and its pointless cutting the stock pipping 2 inches frm the cat and welding it there as it will go from 1 3/4 to 2 1/4 after the cat so it would be worth nothing.

SO they basically got another peice of 2 1/4 " pipping and added onto the stivo cat and the flange so it's a full 2 1/4 inche from the cat right though.

The guys that did it for me are AutoWorks Plus on the hume hwy lansvale or cabramatta. cant remember what suburb it was. Around 10 minutes from the villawood meet

Spray the bolt then the easiest way to get it off is use a very long extension(like about 2-3 foot) and then put the rachet on and away you go. that's how I've always done as it gives you more room being out of the tunnel but if you don't have the tools then I'm sure the local exhaust bloke will have the kit to get em off :D