My poor lil Stivo :(

Morning guys,

I had an unfortunate mishap yesterday as an electric gate decided to close on me whilst driving across a driveway.

The gate started to close and I had no option but to accelerate to try and avoid any kind of collision.

So the gate knifed itself into the left hand side back door actually cutting the metal.

The back door cant be opened from the outside but once opened you can see the metal has creased

on the inside as well. The moulding on the door is also bent.

The side skirt also got scrapped.

Im not so sure if I need a whole new back door if it can be replaced with a new door skin.

I would prefer to get a new side skirt as I dont want to see a difference of side skirts from the left hand side to the ride hand side.

What do you guys think? :unsure:

Im all new to this as far as smash repairs are concerned with my Sportivo.

Im also a little paranoid of the colour matching. I know of a good panel beater so im sure they can match

the black mica colour. Is it 109 or 209? :unsure:

Does anyone know how panel beaters match the colour? Do they get colour codes from Toyota? :unsure:

Thanks for reading guys and I do apologise if I come across a little harsh.

Lots of mixed emotions at the moment as im more or less just annoyed that my little baby

has been injured as not part of my intentional fault.

These things can be fixed (thank goodness for insurance) but I just hate seeing my car with an imperfection :(

Cheers all

Sorry to hear that mate.....

Doesn't those electric gate have sensors? what happen if a child is crossing while it's closing?

I am no expert, but i think Black is one of the easiest colour to match.....and it's not as easy to spot the differents.

Smash repair can mix the colour according to the Toyota colour code, the Paint supplier have all the details of the Factory default paint. But a good smash repairer doesn't stop there, they'll make sure the colour match due to the colour change of the car (eg. Car being park under Sun for a long period of time, and the colour fade a bit etc etc...).

i dont know about the gate you were at but the ones ive seen detect metal so that bicycles can also trigger the gate to open.

smash repairers match the paint to the factory code which is found on the compliance plate and some pay more attention and adjust the paint to match the actual car because it may have changed due to the weather.

not sure if you would get a door or the door skin replaced. do you have a pic of the smash?

Thanks for your feedback guys.

I feel alot more at ease thanks to your replies and comments.

I wasnt so sure on how panel beaters actually match the factory colour as I was starting to get a little worried since the Sportivo is more of a metallic black colour rather than a full flat jet black colour.

He didnt reassure me of the colour match so thats probarbly why im a little up tight about it all.

Ive been told I need a new door rear door skin and the side skirt can be fixed up also.

I was under the impression the colour code was on the inside on the passenger door?

So how does anyone know how beaters actually match the colour? So they have the colour code then what?

Does it go thru a paint database or manufactors database eg Toyota? Im very curious on this! :)

As for the electric gate sensor, the reason why it didnt stop was because of a recent black out which reset the gate to manual mode rather than auto mode so this is why it didnt detect the car from going across the driveway.

Appreciate all your concerns btw and if there is anyone who is in the same scenario as me regarding

black ink 209 colour matching on smash repairs, please let me know ur thoughts and experience!

More of owner's comments will definately puy my mind at ease and at peace! B)

Edited by Cheeky Age

Thats what happens when you take stupid risks my dear ..lol

Hope you get it fixed!!!!

I was unaware of the gate not functioning properly so it was purely just bad luck and an accident that I got hit with it.

If I knew of the electric gate not working I wouldnt have even moved the car nor attempt to get it out!

they run a cd on a computer and it tells them what to mix in a jar. usually they replace the door skin so when you get the car back check the seals are put back in properly and check that they sprayed all the edges because sometimes you can feel a dry edge where they only bothered to spray the surface. you may find that they bolt on the door slightly different position that original they may line it up better than how the car was assembled from factory.

Edited by kcorro

they run a cd on a computer and it tells them what to mix in a jar. usually they replace the door skin so when you get the car back check the seals are put back in properly and check that they sprayed all the edges because sometimes you can feel a dry edge where they only bothered to spray the surface. you may find that they bolt on the door slightly different position that original they may line it up better than how the car was assembled from factory.

Thanks heaps for your detailed info kcorro. It was very informative and is also good to know the behind the scenes details.

This is correct. I replaced door skins daily back when I was an apprentice panel beater. Give me all the boring jobs lol. All the other guys were fitting kits etc. B@stards lol

what area in sydney r u from........?

we know a smash repair guy down our way if u pay cash and not claim it he does it cheaper way cheaper. pm us if u want the details............ :)

This is correct. I replaced door skins daily back when I was an apprentice panel beater. Give me all the boring jobs lol. All the other guys were fitting kits etc. B@stards lol

Is it a tedious and patience kinda job bADboYz?

As kcorro mentioned - the finish can come out better than when assembled at the factory :unsure:

Edited by Cheeky Age

Thats what happens when you take stupid risks my dear ..lol

Hope you get it fixed!!!!

I was unaware of the gate not functioning properly so it was purely just bad luck and an accident that I got hit with it.

If I knew of the electric gate not working I wouldnt have even moved the car nor attempt to get it out!

Ahhh thats not good !

i dont trust electric gates :ph34r: