do you see the light!!!

hey guys

so i got these mtec cosmos blue/white bulbs for my car (rated 4750k) a while back now there ok but poor visiblity and its starting to get on my nerves im out of carrots :lol: ), so are there any good bulbs out there that have that nice pure white but have good visibility? What about philips? I was going to go HID but after zavs experiences with his 6000k kit i decided to give it a miss.

i am using piaa and have compared it with the cheaper bulbs out. piaa cost more but i find they are extremely clear you can make out textures on things instead of a white/blueish blur common from cheaper bulbs. they are rated pure white so 5000k. going higher you will notice it getting blue.

what was the problem with the HIDs???

Firstly they're illegal in OZ unless you have an automatic levelling device + headlight washers.

Secondly they work better with Projector lenses, not standard reflector headlight.

I'm after some good blubs also, for both driving and foggy lights as driving visibility at night and especially in the rain is horrific these days. would like them pure white also if possible. Don't mind paying extra money as long as they last, the cheaper brands don't seem to last very long.

I recommend Wurtz, Phillips and IPF.

I'm using Phillips for my headlight, and IPF for my fog. Been 1.5 years running them now and it still working (past experiences with cheap bulbs - lasted 6 months at best).

in industry the popular bulbs are from raybrig, piaa and polarg and they all japanese

raybriglogo7uc.jpg

piaalogo3bi.jpg

polarglogo4kn.jpg

but phillips is common because of its economical price and easy to get from autobarn and the like but if you look around overseas you can find piaa and polarg cheaper or the same price as philips bulbs

I couldnt get my levels right cuz I broke my left-right adjustment, but I fixed it up when I did the headlight mod. But yeah I found them too bright and made me nervous around cops. I was going to get the 4300k HID headlights, but discovered that my visibily was much better with my stock globes, and my high beam was much more visible since I didnt need to lower the headlight beam so much. But I agree the higher Kelvin you go the less visibility you have. Would need to see a Rolla with 4300K HIDs first before I go back to HID.

But yeah those MTEC globes you bought look nice but u lose visibility and the same goes for like most higher Kelvin lights. I've searched the internet for the last couple of months and if you want a nice white light, that lasts more than a year and has good visibilty go for a Phillips Blue Vision (Not crystal vision or diamond vision since you lose visibility and they dont last that long). If you want extra visibility and lifespan buy a set of phillips vision plus globes, but these arent all that white.

HID lights on JDM runx/allex use the stock headlight assembly as your halogen ones.

afaik, washer jets and auto levellers are a euro requirement. they also have more stringent beam patterns for their projectors which result in a slightly narrower spread than JDM.

is it true that the runx/allex in Japan runs in HIDs, if so, does anyone know the part number??

not sure on the part number, but the RRP is $3500NZD, so at a guess ~$3000AUD, if you know someone who works for Toyota who "owes you one", now is the time to call in that favour.

My mate(Toyota NZ employee) says that he can get them for ~$1900, but can't confim without an actual request for it(as in an order... also its 4-6 weeks ex Japan for us, maybe someone in Aussie has them local, but I doubt it.

They replace the whole light assembly(and wiring needs to be changed), and are fully road legal in NZ... not sure on Aussie laws.

Edited by barryogen

I looked into this, but its not really work spending that amount of money to get factory HID lights.

Plus with halogen globes you can aim em a bit higher to get extra visibility without blinding people. If you aim your HID lights higher, u just blind people.

is it true that the runx/allex in Japan runs in HIDs, if so, does anyone know the part number??

it is true, just that i don't know the part number. i have access to a TRD sport M runX Z aerotourer. ...

wat a mouthful...

i do not have the part numbers anymore but i checked the price from japan about 6 months ago and it was going to be about $800 per side ($1,600 per set) for the facelift. factory hid projector beam and auto leveling. i think they name it xhid

do not get bulbs which is rated at 110w! it fries the connectors that holds the bulbs! our stock bulbs are only rated at 55w, so it will be drawing heaps more power!

there is nothing wrong with HIDs, i dont know why you guys cant aim it properly! mine arent glaring at all, so are bangn's, i installed the same hid kit i have for my friend's prelude, lol except one headlight was facing up, which is hell glaring, but its cos the bulb was put into reverse, you need the electrode to face a certain direction or else it points up!

but hids make a hell of a difference in drivability at night and it doesnt cost too much as well, its not worth paying ~2k for factory hids, just get a hid conversion kit, whicih is almost identical to replacing the headlight assembly, however if it came with the projector lights then maybe its worth it!

well vitagen what exactly did you get HID wise? (brand,price etc) i didnt want to go with HID's cause of past experiences people have had with them (talk to zav) having said that maybe the actual kit wasnt any good? (sorry zav no offence) wierd how you and bangn have no problems with your kits :blink:

Hey i bought some of ebay, a no name brand tho. Rated at 5k. Really nice blue, looking at it, as in the car coming onwards at you, looks like HID.

Probs - When actually driving, they were only good in dark areas. When in a highly lit street, you couldnt even see your headlight beam ( Thought: Why would you need to in highly lit area) anyway. But in the dark, they went on for ages and were broad. For drivers they were glary, so many times did we get flashed because people thinking it was highbeam

Have a lot at my post in inside and out, i put some really dodgy pictures, gives a rough idea

Not sure about the more expensive brands, but alot of these bulbs break.

Ours blew after about 6-7 months but the lights were on litteraly 24/7

Benifit, even with them blowing

INC POSTAGE was $11AUS

If you want to see them in ebay

type h7 HID

its the one that says !JAPAN at the front, i think