Is silver a colour?

iniff

My friend said to me that "silver is the ONLY colour" (in reference to car paint choices)

Which brought me to wonder... is silver actually a colour?

I've been asking some people around the office and getting some interesting opinions. Now I'm asking you guys..

IS SILVER A COLOUR?

Edited by iniff

grey is a colour indeed.................but silver isn't..............like george said its a metal and also a term used to describe shiny steel surfaces............but not on any colour chart. :blink:

If its not on any colour chart then why when i type

[color=silver]does it come up in this colour[/color]

does it come up in this colour?

hehehee...............ur so funny jeremy!!

well like i said its a decription of metal............i suppose a fancy way of saying grey............cause those words are so not silver........they are for sure just grey.

haha, don't get me wrong I totally agree with you guys. It's not a colour at all. But I'm tryingto understand what makes it not a colour.

You can't just say that its a metal because cars are silver. its not as if the car is made of silver or anything, or that the paint work actually contains the metal silver. You poeple that say silver is a metal, how do you describe a silver car?

grey is a colour indeed.................but silver isn't..............like george said its a metal and also a term used to describe shiny steel surfaces............but not on any colour chart. :blink:

If you describe silver as a word that merely describes a metal colour, then indeed so would be grey and every other colour for that fact. My opinion is that silver is more a shade like we describe white and black.

There is 2 meanings of silver, 1. metal/jewrelly and color silver. So if silver is not a color its a description of a metal that means white also isnt color coz its description of snow lol. :blink:

Edited by svalerko

i guess ur right..............but even the dictionary don't say its a colour.......

sil·ver ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slvr)

n.

Symbol Ag A lustrous white, ductile, malleable metallic element, occurring both uncombined and in ores such as argentite, having the highest thermal and electrical conductivity of the metals. It is highly valued for jewelry, tableware, and other ornamental use and is widely used in coinage, photography, dental and soldering alloys, electrical contacts, and printed circuits. Atomic number 47; atomic weight 107.87; melting point 960.8°C; boiling point 2,212°C; specific gravity 10.50; valence 1, 2. See table at element.

This metallic element as a commodity or medium of exchange.

Coins made of this metallic element.

A medal made of silver awarded to one placing second in a competition, as in the Olympics.

Domestic articles, such as tableware, made of or plated with silver.

Tableware, especially eating and serving utensils, made of steel or another metal.

A lustrous medium gray.

A silver salt, especially silver nitrate, used to sensitize paper.

adj.

Made of or containing silver: a silver bowl; silver ore.

Resembling silver, especially in having a lustrous shine; silvery.

Of a lustrous medium gray: silver hair.

Having a soft, clear, resonant sound.

Eloquent; persuasive: a silver voice.

Favoring the adoption of silver as a standard of currency: the silver plank of the 1896 Democratic platform.

Of or constituting a 25th anniversary.

v. sil·vered, sil·ver·ing, sil·vers

v. tr.

To cover, plate, or adorn with silver or a similar lustrous substance.

To give a silver color to.

To coat (photographic paper) with a film of silver nitrate or other silver salt.

v. intr.

To become silvery.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Middle English, from Old English siolfor, seolfor, probably ultimately from Akkadian arpu, refined silver, verbal adj. of arpu, to smelt, refine. See rp in Semitic Roots.]

Either way its the best colour because it's expensive, sought after, sophisticated and best of all it's the colour of the SILVABULLIT. :P :P :P :P :P

After all we all know that a piece of silver is worth more than a piece of black,blue,white or red :lol::lol::lol:

Either way its the best colour because it's expensive, sought after, sophisticated and best of all it's the colour of the SILVABULLIT. :P :P :P :P :P

After all we all know that a piece of silver is worth more than a piece of black,blue,white or red :lol::lol::lol:

:D

i guess ur right..............but even the dictionary don't say its a colour.......

A lustrous medium gray.

Resembling silver, especially in having a lustrous shine; silvery.

I like the second definition. Supports my decision on it being a property or charactistic of an object rather then a colour.

the first definitiion only exists because a shade of grey has been named grey.

Haha..that's a good question. :)

Is Silver a colour, and the question i had when I did my design course....How do I paint "render" Silver in computer?

Silver is actually "GREY with reflection"....my friend told me...then I went.."OH YEAH"... :)

A "Silver car" sounds better than "Grey car".. and thats why its used. Could you imagine anyone saying proudly "I have a Grey car!" :P :lol:

Another example is the Wallaby’s jersey , its Yellow! but they call it Gold cause it sounds better <_< and its not even shiny :lol:

So its a reflective version of grey... does that make it a colour or a characteristic?

a characteristic describing the shade of the colour i'd say