TRD Version S exhaust versus CES

Hey folks. Currently I have a TRD Version S exhaust on my runx. It doesnt really have a sound, but its pretty free flowing and gives a nice sound when combined with my CAI. I'm contemplating getting the CES exhaust but wanted to know if anyone did an upgrade from the TRD exhaust to the CES.

I've read the threads and am convinced that there is advantage to the CES, but in the entire scheme of things, its important to find out if anyone made that change, ie. TRD or other exhaust to CES and how happy they were with the results, dyno'd if possible.

Gonna get my intake and exhaust manifolds ported too to allow better breathing, so lemme know what you guys and gals think.

appreciate the responses...

I agree. It is bloody fantastic value for money. Technically you could get someone like buddyclub to custom make one for you and get a bit more kw out of it, but hey...$$$ (unless you're waiwong :lol: j/k).

If I had the money my ultimate setup would be CES catback w. buddyclub spec III muffler for my exhaust system.

in my various reasearch through 1zz/2zz sites and forums I have seen many people give high praise to the TRD mufflers with results on Celica's on Corollas all averaging around 10hp atw (yes many dynos provided) with just a muffler switch, no catback piping.

as great as CES appears to be here, i don't think there is actually anyone on this site that has a TRD muffler? :huh: I could be wrong, but there is definitely not one person who has had a TRD and then gone CES. So i don't really think you could find any definitive comparisons here, however because the TRD muffler is built for the stock muffler piping and *probably* wouldnt function as well with different piping, i am sure you would probably get more horsepower out of the CES system due to the better plumbing combined with a better muffler...but i could be wrong, very wrong :ph34r:

i have a jdm trd muffler :P but then again i have a celica lol

well i couldnt really feel the gains but my gains is seen from my times 15.2-stock 14.6- trd exhaust and aem cai

yea the trd exhaust is just a axelback but there has been a test and it seems to give the most gains. i duno about the corollas tho :P

in my various reasearch through 1zz/2zz sites and forums I have seen many people give high praise to the TRD mufflers with results on Celica's on Corollas all averaging around 10hp atw (yes many dynos provided) with just a muffler switch, no catback piping.

as great as CES appears to be here, i don't think there is actually anyone on this site that has a TRD muffler? :huh: I could be wrong, but there is definitely not one person who has had a TRD and then gone CES. So i don't really think you could find any definitive comparisons here, however because the TRD muffler is built for the stock muffler piping and *probably* wouldnt function as well with different piping, i am sure you would probably get more horsepower out of the CES system due to the better plumbing combined with a better muffler...but i could be wrong, very wrong :ph34r:

Thanks for the info and all the replies. I've had the same observation RE: TRD exhausts. Not many [if any] ppl seem to mention having it. There is a guy here with a apexi exhaust, and TRD CAI combination. His car sounds super aggressive on WOT but not as throaty as mine. I've got AEM CAI and TRD exhaust.

Thanks again.

Edited by highlift

Bangn has an spoon axle back system, and i believe he holds the quarter mile record on the forums. Anyway i'm not sure if the CES will give you any significant over your current system. Most aftermarket exhausts for the stivo would give similar gains. Generally those the gains are not signifiacnt on the Dyno but they make a big difference in top end power down the quarter mile (i.e. go from a low 15 sec quater mile to a mid to high 14 second quarter).

But if you want a nice sounding muffler, the CES has very nice note without canon like droans (personally I like a quiet muffler with an intake only rumble).

if you look at the 1/4 mile record thread the MPH the cars pull is a good indication of their real power. Basically, the higher the MPH, the more power the car has. In three of my different cars I've taken to Willowbank and done repeated runs there was a difference of up to .8/sec over the 1/4 when driving the same car but always had the same MPH for each car regardless of the time within 0.3mph.

if you look at the 1/4 mile record thread the MPH the cars pull is a good indication of their real power. Basically, the higher the MPH, the more power the car has. In three of my different cars I've taken to Willowbank and done repeated runs there was a difference of up to .8/sec over the 1/4 when driving the same car but always had the same MPH for each car regardless of the time within 0.3mph.

i think what rollamods said is quite true. For eg. a 1zzfe Corolla's best 1/4mile is 15.7s and we know some Stivos also ran mid 15s but their trapspeed are markedly different, with the 1zzfe Corollas around 140km/h while the Stivos are more than 10km/h faster at 150+km/h. Now 10km/h might not sem much but its a lot in real life comparison. But then again vehicle weight, gear ratios and other factors come into play as well. But comparing apples to apples i would say the trapspeed is a good measure.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

As far a research goes i do believe that TRD will have more work done on the muffler then CES has.

I would keep the muffler and get the catback piping from CES if you absolutely have to buy something.

You hve to take into account that you have limits when it comes to modding any car and this is "just" a FWD corolla.

Why not take the money and put it to a set of good coilovers?

As far a research goes i do believe that TRD will have more work done on the muffler then CES has.

I would keep the muffler and get the catback piping from CES if you absolutely have to buy something.

You hve to take into account that you have limits when it comes to modding any car and this is "just" a FWD corolla.

Why not take the money and put it to a set of good coilovers?

YEah I know its "just a FWD", but you have to look in the scheme of things. hehe, I'mfrom barbados, 166sq miles, PERIOD. lol, we have good sprint highways and roads I limit my car and drive almost on limiter for 20secs easily, and the most common variant here starts at 1600ccs. hehe, so me having a 1800cc NA is abit challenging when you are running 1600 20V rollas that are running 15psi of boost. There is a oooold starlet here, the FWDs after the RWD starlets, do u know what i mean, those 12vs, well we have one here that is runnign 12s, CALM. Turbo + Big Boost = Replacement for Displacement

So I'm trying to really build a responsive, NA machine by covering all bases. work on intake + exhaust manifolds, I intend to bore out my throttle body, concerned about exhaust and I will investigate getting the cat backpiping from CES and i'm gonna manage AF ratios with the Emange Ultimate.

As far as brakes are concerned, I run Hawk performance pads. They are SUPER. They hold like a mofo and not very much brake dust. My only complaint is the smell after a night of rather spirited driving.

As far as suspension goes, I'm running some TRD struts and springs and they are pretty good. My car handles really well, but still has some body roll under really hard cornering. In terms of opportunity cost, coil overs would be overkill when i put things in perspective. I tend to only do "highway spirited driving" [our hgihways are in noway like yours.] so my current suspension is very adequate.

Final Drive and Cams are gonna be my new yrs gift to myself when i get my bonus the first week in Januay and clutch and LSD will be here by november :)

There really is nothing else I can do except go stroker kit, and sorry to say guys, I'd rather buy an ITR with the K20A. It woould jsut be more cost effective ;)

But the responses have been good, thanks for the suggestions and the insights. I still think you guys are lucky to have a local developer like CES. Most if not all of the comments regarding their products have been thumbs up. I trust they will keep up developing quality products for the market and even the external markets.

I will post a video of the road i drive everyday, its a "highway", you may enjoy it.

But if you want a nice sounding muffler, the CES has very nice note without canon like droans (personally I like a quiet muffler with an intake only rumble).

Thats bang on what i go for too and thats what i have with the TRD. :)

Generally those the gains are not signifiacnt on the Dyno but they make a big difference in top end power down the quarter mile (i.e. go from a low 15 sec quater mile to a mid to high 14 second quarter).

We dont have any official quartemile traps here so I dont have an official time, but i did some G-tech testing one night. I have never launched the car really lol, but I did a 15.15 @ 94.6mph with a 7.05s 0-60mph.

Not bad for a first time and bad tyres. I had lowered my PSI on the tyres to 26, the other guys that night had theirs at 22. On another forum i saw some guys talking about 16psi :blink: I've really no idea as dragging isnt my thing because we mostly do highway sprints, well, up to the speed limit anyway. B)

www.buddyclub.com.au

The Spec III is a racing muffler. Meaning it's 'cannonish' in nature and fecking loud up top in lift lol. Comes with a silencer. Not for the people who want deep deep tone. The Spec III muffler will actually get you a 3kw gain due to it's design. It helps extract more. It comes with a silencer to give you an indication on the noise level lol. Legal w. silencer though.

Also people it's important to note that Brian is a very good driver. Sometimes that's a more important trait to hold. The guy shifts that quick I thought it was an auto lol.