Mazda 3 MPS tests and reviews!

pffft.... toyota wouldnt do that.... they would be part of the "hot hatches" debate again then...

Oh ok well I guess Prodrive and TRD won't be making performance cars then and just handing out stickers.

Wtf????

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pffft.... toyota wouldnt do that.... they would be part of the "hot hatches" debate again then...

Oh ok well I guess Prodrive and TRD won't be making performance cars then and just handing out stickers.

Wtf????

:lol::lol::lol:

Toyota (TRD) are looking into releasing a supercharged corolla mid-late next year. Read it on the TRD site somewhere.

Anyway, back on topic... congrats on your purchase Zee! Wish you all the best!

Did you take pics yet? :D

The MAzda 3 MPS has 15.6psi of boost stock although people have been seeing boost spikes in winter of 18-20psi. Apparently sources say the engine is good for 30psi. ;)

The turbo on the MPS will be a similiar size to a Garrett GT28. Anything more than 1 bar (14.5psi) and it will be out of its efficiency range, so creating more heat than useful air to create power.

And as for boost spikes in the winter, that would be BS as boost spikes only occur when you install a manual bleed valve style boost controller. The MPS will be running an electronic boost comtroller connected to the main ecu.

And as for the engine handling 30psi, unless its running forged pistons and rods special valves it may last a few runs at 30psi with a bigger turbo before it starts to melt the pistons and throw a rod.

Don't quote me on those figures, as i cannot find them anywhere except from a guy that seemed to have seen it on the net, and also from Mazda 6 MPS owners. ;)

"Word on the street is the engine is good for up to 30psi (fully forged from factory) .... and Hiboost is modding a bigger turbo to fit in the standard K04 housing :) The analysist tell me this engine could be better then the boxxer (WRX) for extracting crazy power from ...."

gotta wait a couple of days to see my own proof :P

Edited by ZEEROLLA

The MAzda 3 MPS has 15.6psi of boost stock although people have been seeing boost spikes in winter of 18-20psi. Apparently sources say the engine is good for 30psi. ;)

The turbo on the MPS will be a similiar size to a Garrett GT28. Anything more than 1 bar (14.5psi) and it will be out of its efficiency range, so creating more heat than useful air to create power.

And as for boost spikes in the winter, that would be BS as boost spikes only occur when you install a manual bleed valve style boost controller. The MPS will be running an electronic boost comtroller connected to the main ecu.

And as for the engine handling 30psi, unless its running forged pistons and rods special valves it may last a few runs at 30psi with a bigger turbo before it starts to melt the pistons and throw a rod.

Don't quote me on those figures, as i cannot find them anywhere except from a guy that seemed to have seen it on the net, and also from Mazda 6 MPS owners. ;)

"Word on the street is the engine is good for up to 30psi (fully forged from factory) .... and Hiboost is modding a bigger turbo to fit in the standard K04 housing :) The analysist tell me this engine could be better then the boxxer (WRX) for extracting crazy power from ...."

HAH! I knew it!!! I knew you'd pour money into it! ;) Be sure to come to the next meet brother!

Edited by bADbOYz

Madza engines havent been known for their build qualify in the past, good to see they have put a bit of effort in this time around.

The 6 MPS was reviewed in the latest episode of top gear against the new ford mondeo 220hp and the vectra 4 door turbo. Jeremy Clarkson thought the MPS was the best to drive but would buy the Mondeo if he had the choice. In the straight line drag the Vectra was fastest, followed closly by the MPS and then the Mondeo.

for some reason the first thing that comes to mind is:

bye bye engine internals goodbye goodbye .... bye bye engine internals goodbye :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

for some reason the first thing that comes to mind is:

bye bye engine internals goodbye goodbye .... bye bye engine internals goodbye :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The fact that Cosworth use the same engine design for the Duratec race engine used in Formula Atlantic (Naturally Aspirated) is testiment to the fact that this engine is very versitile. It's also used in Michael Guest's Rally Focus (RWD)

HAH! I knew it!!! I knew you'd pour money into it! ;) Be sure to come to the next meet brother!

haha no mate, haven't even got my car yet how am i supposed to pour money in? Not planning to mod it for a while due to warranty reaosns. Its got enough go for me, at least until i get bored of it :P

Also these quotes are not my words, they are also not from a Mazda personel, they are from some guy at the Ozmazdaclub, so i wouldn't believe everything. Such as the stock boost levels, i won't know until i get my car. ;)

We're forgetting about Honda. They are hiding something, and looming. I can sense them promising much with the new Type R Civic.

Mazda are considering building the RX7 quad rotor (twin turbo?) concept supercar. The RX7 could compete with the likes of Ferrari etc in the future. How interesting.

Honda could be isolated here, they could end up being the only manufacturer not using FI on their hot hatch. But they are damn well known for building the world's best NA engines and coupled with a light weight bodyshell, beat the crap out of FI cars (think Type Rs), so they are definitely in the fight and the New Civic Type R will most likely still be using the K20A with 150+kw. That will appeal to many that loves to rev and people that cannot or prefer not to own FI vehicles. If the Civic remains relatively light weight it will be a quick car but will be an uphill battle now as other manufacturers are coming out with "dual purpose" vehicles like Mazda with the Mazda Performance Series (MPS) of cars such as the RX8, MPS6 and MPS3. Thats their concept. They have all the luxuries you want and practicality yet have enough grunt to make you feel like you are in a sports car. Thats what people want nowadays, and Honda in the past have created beautiful sports cars, but are more "raw" such as the Type Rs, S2000 and NSX. These cars have fantatsic driving feel and performance but usually lacks comfort, practicality and luxury. And when they tried the performance usually suffers. But like others said stay tuned ;)

p.s. i am getting my MPS3 Monday! woohoo!! finally! Also saw a Red Lux version at Liverpool today, looks damn nice but i think Blue is still better :D

i went into a link yesterday which showed the civic type r verse focus rs in the uk and the civic deadset flies it beat the wrx by 6 seconds or so around the track then i went into hondas site and it said the type r with the six speed box does 0-100 in under 6 secs and thats with the 147kw motor why cant we get na hatches here that have so much potential.another site quoted 6.2 as the time for 0-62 mph thats still fast ,and by the way i think the new mps 3 is awesome car but too dear i rekon for its looks and interior they should have made it more agressive coz it looks like my sister in laws mazda 3 maxx sports for that much money id rather the megane cup chassis or gti golf leather trim awesome motors and style to match

i went into a link yesterday which showed the civic type r verse focus rs in the uk and the civic deadset flies it beat the wrx by 6 seconds or so around the track then i went into hondas site and it said the type r with the six speed box does 0-100 in under 6 secs and thats with the 147kw motor why cant we get na hatches here that have so much potential.another site quoted 6.2 as the time for 0-62 mph thats still fast ,and by the way i think the new mps 3 is awesome car but too dear i rekon for its looks and interior they should have made it more agressive coz it looks like my sister in laws mazda 3 maxx sports for that much money id rather the megane cup chassis or gti golf leather trim awesome motors and style to match

the Civic Type R is quick no doubt bcus its light. if it comes to Oz it will be priced at $40k and at that price there are so many cars to choose from.

The Renault and VW would be a nightmare for me if i ever bought one, fom what i heard too expensive to maintain. I don't think the Mazda 3 MPS is all that expensive, bcus if you ask me the Mazda 3 wasn't cheap to start with anyway. If you break it down its only abt $10k more than a SP23, actually i got mine for $42k wthout extras, an SP23 06' model will be arnd $32k and lux pack will be arnd $35k. But what you get in the MPS is worth every penny of that $10k. Just like buying the WRX Imprezza over the NA Imprezzas.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

;) muahaha

Zee...you bought a fecking good car, don't worry. I love the sound of that motor...would want a different shell though...I'm so picky.

the Civic Type R is quick no doubt bcus its light. if it comes to Oz it will be priced at $40k and at that price there are so many cars to choose from.

The Renault and VW would be a nightmare for me if i ever bought one, fom what i heard too expensive to maintain. I don't think the Mazda 3 MPS is all that expensive, bcus if you ask me the Mazda 3 wasn't cheap to start with anyway. If you break it down its only abt $10k more than a SP23, actually i got mine for $42k wthout extras, an SP23 06' model will be arnd $32k and lux pack will be arnd $35k. But what you get in the MPS is worth every penny of that $10k. Just like buying the WRX Imprezza over the NA Imprezzas.

yeh u got a point there

For my liking the 3MPS is not worth the money. NOW LEFT ME EXPLAIN FIRST :D My last car was a $20,000 Lancer, so stepping from that to a $26,000 Sportivo i got alot of goodies. To go from my Tivo to a 3MPS for $40,000+ is not a big enough leap in any aspect considering you dont even get leather as standard.

I would rather spend an extra $10-20,000 and get an EVO :P I have always said i will only sell my Tivo for an EVO :ph34r: :D

For my liking the 3MPS is not worth the money. NOW LEFT ME EXPLAIN FIRST :D My last car was a $20,000 Lancer, so stepping from that to a $26,000 Sportivo i got alot of goodies. To go from my Tivo to a 3MPS for $40,000+ is not a big enough leap in any aspect considering you dont even get leather as standard.

I would rather spend an extra $10-20,000 and get an EVO :P I have always said i will only sell my Tivo for an EVO :ph34r: :D

ok now :P a lancer to an EVO lancer is about 3 times the $$ difference.. and you get the same sort of platsics!! :P

hehe nah if i had another 10k to splash the EVO would be up there on my list, its got a good factory warranty to start with (5years), has racecar performance, and enough room for 5. BUT insurance will definitely kill me. In the end if i am smart with my money i will still get the Mazda :P bcus insurance is many times cheaper, is more practical being a hatchback, better fuel economy, and looks more "friendly" exteriorly (attracts less attn from the blues :ph34r: ).. plus i will save $10-15k to put it somewhere else, and i won't get mistaken for another kitted up lancer :D

Just mistaken for a SP23. EVO 8/9 look completely different to CH base models, so no confussion. Insurence should be around the same cause they are both turbo "sports cars".

the MPS3 is like the Corolla Sportivo, actually costs about the same as the standard Mazda 3/Corolla. I paid $1200 for the Stivo, now $1400 for the MPS3. With the WRX and EVO i can assure you for me at least it will be closer to $3000. Don't know why, maybe bcus of their cult status and theft history (especially WRX).

Just mistaken for a SP23. EVO 8/9 look completely different to CH base models, so no confussion. Insurence should be around the same cause they are both turbo "sports cars".

the MPS3 is like the Corolla Sportivo, actually costs about the same as the standard Mazda 3/Corolla. I paid $1200 for the Stivo, now $1400 for the MPS3. With the WRX and EVO i can assure you for me at least it will be closer to $3000. Don't know why, maybe bcus of their cult status and theft history (especially WRX).

actually its 2000 for wrx my mate owns a 2003 and hes got a shocking record but the excess is 2000 also

at the end of the day if you like the car buy it and zeerolla did so hes gotta like it now but ohnestly man i dont see many of them selling at that price 42k on road i think you said, thats wat a wrx cost almost id rather spend another few grand get better performance better looks and awd dodgey interior but the mps aint much better but i rekon they will drop the price a few grand to 36k soon like they did with the heap of **** tiburons