Mazda 3 MPS tests and reviews!

Just mistaken for a SP23. EVO 8/9 look completely different to CH base models, so no confussion. Insurence should be around the same cause they are both turbo "sports cars".

the MPS3 is like the Corolla Sportivo, actually costs about the same as the standard Mazda 3/Corolla. I paid $1200 for the Stivo, now $1400 for the MPS3. With the WRX and EVO i can assure you for me at least it will be closer to $3000. Don't know why, maybe bcus of their cult status and theft history (especially WRX).

actually its 2000 for wrx my mate owns a 2003 and hes got a shocking record but the excess is 2000 also

at the end of the day if you like the car buy it and zeerolla did so hes gotta like it now but ohnestly man i dont see many of them selling at that price 42k on road i think you said, thats wat a wrx cost almost id rather spend another few grand get better performance better looks and awd dodgey interior but the mps aint much better but i rekon they will drop the price a few grand to 36k soon like they did with the heap of **** tiburons

ooo.. no doubt about my love for the MPS3 mate :D Like the MPS6 they arn't selling as well as predicted.. but i can name at least 5 people that have bought it :P they are still fantastic cars for the money though if you look at them carefully. I won't even think about the WRX for $40k (plus i had 1 b4), like i said b4 there are too many of them around, like falcodores and their interior quality is imo lacklustre. Servicing costs, quality, reliability, safety and equipmet levels are no better, performace and technology the MPS is imo again head and shoulders above a WRX, the only thing Subaru has is its "magical AWD" but after you have driven a MPS3 and a WRX you would be thinking to yourself what's so special about the WRX!? I used to spin the inside wheels of the WRX anyway! The STI and EVO is dfferent with the trick centre diffs (VCD) and in an EVO the AYC etc, way more sophisticated but a standard WRX hasn't got that.

To be honest manufacturers are creating fwd/rwd cars that handle better and better, awd is losing ground. 5-10years ago its different, its fresh, its new, and the Godzilla killed all other 2wd sports cars. But today its nothing special. Fuel economy of the boxer engine is also at the bottom of the list, and insurance no matter what your mate got will be different to me and without doubt more expensive than the MPS3 (Some people i know get the MPS3 for $650 comprehensive cover).

As for prices dropping that much, i would say its a tough ask bcus its a flagship performance model and Mazda sells Mazda3s like pancakes around the world. The only time prices would drop by a grand or more is during the end of financial year sales or if you know someone, or if the government cuts taxes. The 05' plated MPS6 was going for $49-50k driveaway at some dealerships during the end of financial year sales, 06' plated ones are either $52k for non-leaher or $58k for leather ;) The MPS3 i think is great value if its the kinda car you want, just like a Corolla Sportivo.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just 1 sleep to go! :D Hopefully the dealer keeps his promise and i get the car tomorrow! woohoo! I will post pics up as soon as i get them, camera is armed and ready to snap when i get to the dealership. Only thing is mother nature, it sems like it will be RAINY again ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Just 1 sleep to go! :D Hopefully the dealer keeps his promise and i get the car tomorrow! woohoo! I will post pics up as soon as i get them, camera is armed and ready to snap when i get to the dealership. Only thing is mother nature, it sems like it will be RAINY again ;)

oooooohhhhh how exciting i wanna see it too .................i hope ur still coming to our meet next week?

its gonna be so much fun!!

Cant wait to see her!!

WAAAAAAAAA TISSSSS WAAAAAAA TISSSSSSS

:lol:

Woo! Clocked 350kms already in 2 days! also hit 170km/h without even feeling it :P this thing builds speed in 4th/5th gear like a rocket! also hard to get use to the 280km/h speedo, its felt wierd. This thing handles very well, full stop. Turn in response is tops, and yet still very comfortable. Also very little body roll and high speed cornering stability is also very good. Probably better than my Stivo.

No pics just yet as its so dirty bcus of the rain, will wash it on the weekend and post pics up ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

well done mate!! congrats!!!!

Thanks man! ;)

Excellent ..... new mazda breakfast muhahahahahahahahah sp23's were getting 2 dull n boring 2 chew n spit out :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

so yeah zee hurry n get some piccy's of ur new baby up .....

Congrats mate, whats your first mod gonna be?

P.S. awesome colour choice think I will go the same!! :D

If anyone wants one in Brisvegas don't wait till end of finacial year to save big cash just pm me!!

NEW WHEELS REVIEW!!

"an Aurora Blue Sports Pack was the star of the Wheels first road test of the 3 MPS. It seems to have made a good impression first up!"

They mention the fact that it does the 80-120km/h in 3.5 secs. That is apparently only 0.1 sec slower than a BMW M5 and 0.1 sec quicker than a Porsche 911 Carrera. You've got to be happy with that!"

I have plenty of piccies but none of them r my car :P will post them up soon, or maybe Sydney people like Bill can just see it for themselves if i make this weekend's cruise! ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

you got to run her in for the 1st 1000k's :D

She looks good!

I see they advertising the Mazda 3 SP 23 on tv but not the mps, why!?

you got to run her in for the 1st 1000k's :D

She looks good!

I see they advertising the Mazda 3 SP 23 on tv but not the mps, why!?

Thanks man :D

hehe thats the way i decided to run her in, drive it moderately hard :D drove back down Mt Keira today after work, damn that was good.. best place to run a car in imo. varying revs, corners, braking etc.

in the owner's manual it says "do not race the engine" but no manufacturer would ever recommend you to race the cars anyway, would they? i have always been a believer of "spirited" run-in methods. New cars nowadays don't have specific run-in procedures anymore.. so long as you don't go stupid with the car and slam gears or revlimit or drive it like you stole it ;)

hot little hatch the MPS3... suggest you sign up on ozmazdaclub and get to know Snert - he's the owner of currently the fastest mazda 3 in the country (turbo converted SP23) - especially if you plan to do a turbo swap in the future... he's got the contacts in the states with people who have started playing with things and he'll definantly be able to advise on possible pitfalls before you encounter them.

I'd be prepared to add an aftermarket ECU to your shopping list, unless you already have - mazda have been playing silly games with overly sensitve ECUs for a little while now (the SP23 guys have suffered CELs and limp mode just from installing headers etc...).

congrats on the purchase, hopefully see you on a few mazda cruises soon! :)

hot little hatch the MPS3... suggest you sign up on ozmazdaclub and get to know Snert - he's the owner of currently the fastest mazda 3 in the country (turbo converted SP23) - especially if you plan to do a turbo swap in the future... he's got the contacts in the states with people who have started playing with things and he'll definantly be able to advise on possible pitfalls before you encounter them.

I'd be prepared to add an aftermarket ECU to your shopping list, unless you already have - mazda have been playing silly games with overly sensitve ECUs for a little while now (the SP23 guys have suffered CELs and limp mode just from installing headers etc...).

Hey Lordworm, i'm already on the forum! my sig is "RED3MPS" :P

I'm planning to keep te car bogstock man, so don't have to worry abt that although with an ECU tweak it would release the hidden horses, this enine is supposed to make 280hp (206kw) stock but we get detuned versions as usual.. its now running super rich, my exhaust tip is covered in soot already! killing fuel economy too, should i blame our poor fuel quality!? <_<

WIll definitely go on a few cruises man, also with the Toyota boys too :)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Hey Lordworm, i'm already on the forum! my sig is "RED3MPS" :P

I'm planning to keep te car bogstock man, so don't have to worry abt that although with an ECU tweak it would release the hidden horses, this enine is supposed to make 280hp (206kw) stock but we get detuned versions as usual.. its now running super rich, my exhaust tip is covered in soot already! killing fuel economy too, should i blame our poor fuel quality!? <_<

WIll definitely go on a few cruises man, also with the Toyota boys too :)

Awesome.

Head up to brissy sometime... check out Snert's crazy thing.

if you are thinking ECU tweak/mods there are probably a few options - the Chiptorque Xede, the big mumma Haltech beast, or the Microtech LT10S spring to mind.

Good luck with it... cya on the other forums :)

MOTOR PCOTY - Japanese segment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the new MOTOR mag with their PCOTY Japanese segment test.... some interesting results in there with the 3MPS and 6MPS. Both cars got good reviews but the 3 was noted as being stacks of fun especially.

The 3MPS came out equal 4th overall tied with the WRX and the 6MPS was down in 7th. 1st place was tied between the STI and the 350Z if anyone was interested.

Now for the numbers:

Acceleration and trap time:

The 6MPS was 0.4s quicker 0-100kmh than the 3, 0.4s quicker over the quarter and only 0.1s quicker over the standing 1000m. Not entirely surprising given the advantage of AWD on the take off. The 3MPS also beat the 350Z and WRX over the standing 1000m. Needless to say both killed the MX5 but then it isn't a straight line warrior.

Track work:

Here's where it gets interesting... the 3MPS with only FWD was quicker around Oran Park than the 6MPS!!! 0.2s quicker to be exact and only 0.1s behind the MX5.

Suggested driving technique for the 3 and the 6 was to shift by 6000rpm rather than rev it right out as it just wasted time and speed. They also noted that the 3 was almost as quick driving at 80% effort as it was at 100%.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone got this mag yet?? Can't see it anywhere yet.. ;) Was also told they didn't test the car on a prepared drag strip so times were a little disappointing but nevertheless the MPS3 performed very well! :lol: Other cars involved the EVO 9, a special edition STI P26 or sumthin, Lexus IS250 and other Jap cars.

I will also mention the times from the WHEELS review (they gave it 4 1/2 stars btw :lol:)..

*Standing start acceleration:

0-60km/h 3.4s

0-80km/h 4.6s

0-100km/h 6.6s

0-120km/h 8.8s

0-140km/h 11.1s

0-160km/h 14.9s

*now these times wern't the best due to WHEELS stuffing up their new VBox II testing equipment which took them 1hr to fix, subsequently they were left with 10minutes track time @ Oran Park so they bashed out 7 consequtive runs with no cooling down time.

Speed in gears:

1st 55km/h @ 6500rpm

2nd 86km/h @ 6500rpm

3rd 125km/h @ 6500rpm

4th 164km/h @ 6500rpm

5th 209km/h @ 6500rpm

6th 250km/h @ 6100rpm (restricted)

In gear acceleration prowess:

MPS3 (3rd gear 80-120km/h) 3.5s

(4th gear 80-120km/h) 4.1s

in comparison to the competition in 3rd gear... :lol:

Audi RS4 3.4s