What do you think of the Mazda 2 Genki?

I am looking at getting rid of the Sportivo and getting a Mazda 2 Genki. I love my Sportivo don't get me wrong but the fuel bill is crippling me, we drive to work and we are currently pulling 500 K's per week. The economy in the Sportivo is 11.5 per 100. Whats the 2 like? (please, no links to redbook, I know what it says on Paper, I am looking for info from anyone who has actually experienced a Mazda 2)

Cheers

Sorry I should have explained myself more. I work in the centre of Sydney, I drop my Fiance in North Sydney. Sydney traffic is what kills my economy. I go through at tank in a week, we do about 500K's

This equates to 12 litres per hundred. I had my old mans fairmont for a while, coming from Hervey Bay to Sudney I was on around 8.5. Once we got into Sydney driving every day I was sitting on around 20 :(

the best way to calculated the exact figure is to fill up, then use half a tank while resettin gthe Meter. THen when u fill out next see how many letres you put in and how many k's you have done.

The fuel reader is way out on all toyotas.

I drive 45ks with the fuel light on and still had 8 letres in the tank.

Man I drive in city peak hour traffic everyday. I'd get your car checked out cuz 11l/100 is very high. Anyway if it is Sydney peak hour traffic killing ur fuel economy i doubt the mazda 2 will be much lower than what you get now.

Anyway in peak hour you should get around or just under 600km with the fuel light on for a bit and around or over 700km when you use the full 60L and you have to jerry can it to the next servo.

Edited by VVTLiR

Yeah the fuel light on my Conquest is a little light up happy.

When it came on for the first time a few weeks ago I was really worried so I filled up at the nearest petrol station. I filled it up all the way and only 43 liters lent in.

Still have 12 liters in the car. So could of done another 100K's easy.

I've looked at some Scooters, because I have to commute from Melbourne's Eastern Suburbs to the City every day and public transport is just a ripp off.

But for the price of the things, Say for example a 150cc four stroke scooter, a Decent 250cc four stroke Sports Bike costs more or less the same :( But I have to work in a suit, leathers won't quite fit in to the conservative corporate world. :lol:

Although new cars are perceived to use less fuel I don’t think find they do , my old Camry 2.0L used under 8L/100. I think the main thing is little cars are now about 1100Kg-1200Kg, The weight of an old Commodore or the weight of my old Torana, so stop start traffic kills economy as the little engine has to move so much mass. just my thoughts.... B)

you must be thrahing it constantly to get 11.5 per 100km. I drive mine for work purposes and get between 7.8-8.3 in traffic everyday and i also give it squirt quite often.

Edited by 04ZZA

I agree. Every new model has increased features which bring in more weight.

I always think if manufacturers introduce stripped base models with less features thrown in, not only would they sell more, they would also improve fuel consumption.

Eg, Image how much lighter a basic car would be (whatever model) if it didn't have... Boot trim and carpet, No cup holders, less sound deadening, smaller more basic audio systems, less storage bins or no centre console at all, less exterior trims/plastics, No plastic engine covers, etc, etc, etc,

Some new features such as safety features shouldn't be removed, but really, alot of things in cars these days don't really have to be there...

I agree its how u drive it, and also how much torque ur car has. Its easier to drive with more torque, don't have to floor it as much or as high revs hence a 6, 8 cylinder or turbo car can still be reasonable fuel economical UNTIL yopu give it a bit of a hott, then it starts to really sip fuel but which car doesn't??

I got around 7.5-8litres in my Stivo avergaing 650kms b4 the light comes on.

If u after a small car i have a 1.5 Jazz VTI for sale!! :P 6.5litre/100km or better, my best has been 6.0litre/100km so farand i am not lying bcus it comes with a fuel economy calculator.

My girlfriend has the genki and I sell new mazdas and the big advantage of the genki is the resale value. She got the car before I started work with mazda and to be honest I was going to get one but got an awesome deal on the sportivo. I know a guy who manages a bob jane here in brisbane who has 17" alloys on it and it looks awesome! He also put on stiffer springs, whiteline rear sway bar and an exhaust system and it flys. Don't forget the newer 2's now have SV-T and the combined fuel economy over 100ks is 6.6lts. There is good competion in the segment but I would go the 2 any day! Good luck with your choice :)

if ya really wanna change car you should always test drive other cars in the same segment, as omn1potent said b4 the jazz and swift and yaris is all on the same level, u should test each because u never know what u missing if you dont try

Thanks for your comments. With regards to my driving style. It could be likened to a Grandma these days. I drive into Sydney via North Sydney every day in peak hour (Drop the wife off in North Sydney) so I get slugged with 2 lots of peak hour traffic.

On the way home, the M2 is usually moving at around 5 K's per hour which is whats crippling us on the economy front.

The last time I hit lift is about 7 weeks ago :(. Can't afford to play boy racer when saving for a wedding.

I just had the car serviced by Toyota (probably a mistake). I think for me to get the economy I am looking for I am going to be looking at something with a gas conversion but thats a few years off, I will stick with the Stivo until then :).