Gen4 Camrys and 18" wheels

Nunga_08

OK, I have a few questions to ask, mainly because most topics on here are about Corrolas and not much else.

Firstly, what sort of offset would be necessary for an 18" rim? After much reading I think anywhere between +30 and +40 would be suitable, but can anyone confirm this?

And what sort of tyre would one be looking at? I read on here a 7.5" rim would be the way to go, as an 8" rim will rub pretty badly. So with that in mind, a tyre from 195 to 235 could be used, and obviously with a 195 you limit the possibility of rubbing quite considerably. But 195 is blooy tight and I'd rather a 215. Again, anyone with experience?

Suspension work will coincide with the fitment of the rims, so any thoughts on this are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

I use a 18x8 rim and sitting on superlows. The lowest part of the car is the exhaust/chassis rails at 130mm so way higher than the legal requirement. The rear guards had to be rolled because it scrubbed when you have 5 people in the car when turning or when you go over a bump. The fronts wheel wells are roomy and there will be no problems with the 8in wide rims even with the lowering and full lock.

The tyres you want to use on a set of 18s are 235/40 R18, because it is cheap since so many cars use it and because it is closest to the stock size in terms of overall diametre. I got Nankangs on them atm. While they arent no where near the best option, they are good enough for a camry. Most people who complain about the Nankangs drive supra's and skylines where they go round corners a lot faster. You'll just have to be more cautious in the wet. I got mine for $185 each.

You'll also need an offset of about 40. Anything higher and you'll need spacers in the rears too coz the inside rim will touch the struts.

Pepsi%20clearance%20small.JPG

That is the round about clearance.

Rear%20superlow%20gap%20small.JPG

Thats the gap you are looking at with the rears.

What the car looks like from the side with a kit

New%20kit%202.JPG

And without one

This is what i would look like from the side without a kit on. (400kb)

Edited by Un4given

So, when you say an offset that is "higher", you mean 42, 45? The higher the positive offset, the further out the inside of the wheel will be from the car. So I would think an offset of say +30 like I mentioned above would be too low if you're on an offset of +40 and had some scrubbing.

Most sets of rims I've looked at have an offset between +40 and +45, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem with 8" wheels.

Thanks for the info too, un4given.