LIGHT MODS

Gday guys,

I'm getting my 30,000 service next week and am going a K&N air filter and TRD for the oil filter. Is there a noticeable difference running a K&N air filter over the standard one and what's the word on TRD as far as oil filters go?

Cheers ;)

Depends on your budget...

A replacement filter such as the K&N (I recommend BMC) will make the car a little more driveable and probably give you about 1kw difference. This will be about $100-$150 depending which you get.

A CAI of some sort have been found to make the car more driveable again and will give you approx 5kw difference in total power (Just depends what you get - there's a few options out there now). This are about $250-$450 depending which you get.

An Axle back muffler will give you more power (Stay away from cheapo cannons) and can be anywhere from $300-$850.

A Cat-back exhaust will give you even more and will be around $650 - $1200

A set of extractors/headers or porting existing headers can set you back approx $300 - $800.

I consider all these to be light mods as your not really touching the motor, but it just depends on what you want to spend and what you want from the car.

On my Conquest as an example, I just wanted a little more poke and a nice exhaust note, and didn't want to worry about epa or fitment problems etc etc, so I fitted a Remus rear muffler ($850) and a BMC Airfilter ($150) and removed the stock snorkle from the airbox, Nice improvement all round and it pulled 79KW ATW.

Compare this to Danz Car who has a full exhaust system and an AEM CAI and his car pulled over 85kw ATW on the same day (But has done over 90kw ATW before) Although it doesn't seem like much of a difference on paper - his car has quite superior torque meaning on the road his car eats mine up.

So just decide what you want from the car and what your willing to spend

Depends on your budget...

A replacement filter such as the K&N (I recommend BMC) will make the car a little more driveable and probably give you about 1kw difference. This will be about $100-$150 depending which you get.

A CAI of some sort have been found to make the car more driveable again and will give you approx 5kw difference in total power (Just depends what you get - there's a few options out there now). This are about $250-$450 depending which you get.

An Axle back muffler will give you more power (Stay away from cheapo cannons) and can be anywhere from $300-$850.

A Cat-back exhaust will give you even more and will be around $650 - $1200

A set of extractors/headers or porting existing headers can set you back approx $300 - $800.

I consider all these to be light mods as your not really touching the motor, but it just depends on what you want to spend and what you want from the car.

On my Conquest as an example, I just wanted a little more poke and a nice exhaust note, and didn't want to worry about epa or fitment problems etc etc, so I fitted a Remus rear muffler ($850) and a BMC Airfilter ($150) and removed the stock snorkle from the airbox, Nice improvement all round and it pulled 79KW ATW.

Compare this to Danz Car who has a full exhaust system and an AEM CAI and his car pulled over 85kw ATW on the same day (But has done over 90kw ATW before) Although it doesn't seem like much of a difference on paper - his car has quite superior torque meaning on the road his car eats mine up.

So just decide what you want from the car and what your willing to spend

sweet. thanks heaps for your help.

sweet thanks heaps for your help.

Why not get a stivo catback?

a second/third/fourth hand one costs arounds 200-250 all up installed :D - i reckon that was pretty good value. Throttle response and 'quality of sound' increased! or you could get one made up with 2.25" pipping with muffler for arounds $300 odd - quioted from Mr Muffler :D

;) you can do it "all" with a small budget of $600 - right place right time right price

Good luck,

Jules

Leave the exhaust system completely stock, nothing will match the stock exhaust for what you pay, not worth it. Keep a grand in your pocket and live without a stupid 2-3 kW gain (or loss) on a dyno sheet, which makes no difference in your driving. And im not writing this from second hand information, it's from personal experience.

Leave the exhaust system completely stock, nothing will match the stock exhaust for what you pay, not worth it. Keep a grand in your pocket and live without a stupid 2-3 kW gain (or loss) on a dyno sheet, which makes no difference in your driving. And im not writing this from second hand information, it's from personal experience.

hey lucio_libre wat car r u drivin???

i ask because my misses brother inlaw is a mech at toyota for years and he reckons if u do mods like hedders exhaust it makes the car go bak wards in performance wise...

is this true 2 those out there that has done minor mods 2 there cars?

except xoom hes gone the whole 9 yards......

yeh ive got cai on my stivo and thats all i got in 'light mods' i honestly dnt knw if it has made a diff but wen

hitttin lift it is smoother but hey if the stock box give a hard hit in lift wouldnt that b sayin it is better??? <_< <_<

Lucio had a CES exhaust on his Sportivo. Actually made less power on a dyno for him in Victoria.

NOW IN SAYING THAT, YES I AM VERY AWARE THAT THE CES HAS MADE PROVEN GAINS SO NO ONE START ANYTHING!!!!!!

Northy and Silva and the rest are the perfect example that the CES does make good gains. in my opinion, i think the stock exhaust is pretty dam good how it is, there are not many gains to be made apart from in the muffler area, but then again any changes there make your car go from sounding awesome in lift to needing ear muffs :P :lol:

In my opinion, the best Bang for your Buck mod is the cold air intake, there are numerous brands, all which make similar, decent power. i myself have an AEM intake, mainly because when i went looking i found a good price on one so i went for it. there is a much of a muchness between cold air intake brands.

Headers im not so sure about, there is a little bit of a gain to be made, mainly by the coating on the headers.

Basically, what im trying to say is, if u really wanna make more power, get out your check book and dont put it away for a while. apart from the gearshift issues and all that, its a pretty dam good car for a stocker.

but hey if the stock box give a hard hit in lift wouldnt that b sayin it is better??? <_< <_<

Stock air box is very restrictive down low on the rev range, and when you hit lift, the bottom of the airbox actually opens to force more air into the engine, creating the "Hard Hit" into lift with the stock box. With the CAI its much smoother because there is a bit more power being made right where the lift change is. A stock rolla sportivo actually looses power right before the lift change, trust me i've seen it on many a dyno. Only way i've seen to overcome this was on a RunX rally car from england, had a programmable ECU (not sure what brand) but the A/F ratio almost doubled at the lift point, which explained the massive puff of smoke that shot out as the car went into lift :P looked awesome :lol:

hey i can understand that, bill is a good example for floggin the bank cheque.... ( im sure ur a good saver bill :lol::lol: )

im not the full brain wiz on cars but im sure the only way 2 get good performance outta our cars are 2 pour **** loads of money it2 it and do lots n lots of engine upgrades, rnt the sptivo engine hard 2 mdify coz of the design qoute me if im wrong.

neway 2 a sad note my gearbox is makin a knockin noise, im thinkin its the trust bearing. i knw floggin it is the cause but it stupid how they bring out a car that has high rev range but cant handle the pressure, and not 2 mention the price 2 get/fix the things.

thanks on the info