Aurion Test Drive

alphacool

Even I can not believe it. Aurion actually drive better than Corolla Sportivo. I had a first official test drive of the new Aurion today at a race course. The drive is every impressive.

First, quater mile. The car is actually faster than VE commodore and BF Falcon. The first 100m the VE is keeping up with the Aurion. After that Aurion started pulling away. For Falcon, it is absolutely not even close to the Aurion.

Finally, the track time. The Aurion chassis is so well setup, I drive the car at full throttle all the way in the race course. Aurion is a big car, people usually very careful at driving a big car at the race course. The car is not race prepare, the car having the brake and suspension setting as people driving everyday. At the first corner, it is about 120 degree and I am doing about 120 to 130km/h the VSC kicked in. The car keeps going while VSC is in operational. Commodore, the car slow down significantly when the VSC operating. Later, I test driven the Mitsubishi 380, that car is nice for normal driving condition. I did not test drive the Falcon, I think that car is a bit old and dangerous.

For my comment on the chassis setting. Aurion is the best, nice driving chassis, because the chassis is well setup I need to drive the car extremely hard for VSC to work. The VE is not that bad, but I think it is just enough for today’s technology. For 380, as I mention it is nice for normal driving condition, but do not take that car out on the track, it will kill you.

Sorry I totally forgot to test drive the comfort of the car. It is too much fun to drive the car at a track with no worry about police or smashing the car.

I have a lot of fun driving the car. I can not wait to drive it on the normal road. Email me as I know some dealership are letting people test drive a bit earlier than it release.

I actually saw one on the road this morning on the way to work! I was turning right and he was coming in the opposite direction. I was like "What car is that?!" (Saw the Toyota badge)... then I realised it was the Aurion but didn't really get a detailed look. Maybe someone doing a test drive?! :huh:

Oh alphacool, how does the Aurion compare to say an AWD vehicle? Was there on at the test location? Is there any sign of torque steer with the Aurion? Great review BTW :clap:

Edited by mulla

Thanks for the review. I'm trying to read as many Aurion reviews as I can find and if I can, get behind the wheel and actually test drive the thing.

Did you notice that you had to wind the engine up to really get it going as this was one of the points that CarPoint mentioned when they reviewed the Aurion as well as the RX350 that uses the same engine?

Before the Aurion was press released, I saw it very minimally disguised on Station St in Box Hill near the intersection of the Eastern Fwy turnoff followed closely by a Gen6 Camry.

There's actually quick a grand-looking building near there so I'm guessing they were taking the Aurion there for photoshoots possibly for the Asian market.

Oh alphacool, how does the Aurion compare to say an AWD vehicle? Was there on at the test location? Is there any sign of torque steer with the Aurion? Great review BTW :clap:

Compare to AWD.. you still suffering a little bit of torque steer. By help of traction control, you just need to hold your steering wheel and do not try to correct it, by the help of traction control and balance of the chassis, the car actually take off alright. When we were drag racing with commodore and falcon, Aurion actually come out a lot more quick. Around the corner, I never drive a AWD with VSC, when I test drive the Aurion, my aim is push the car until we lost it. All the corners, I just simple push it too hard, the instructor said that is not the right way to drive it. But when he drove the car and do a big turn, it turn alright... for example.. if you been to Calder, he turn the first corner at 85km/h with no problem.

Did you notice that you had to wind the engine up to really get it going as this was one of the points that CarPoint mentioned when they reviewed the Aurion as well as the RX350 that uses the same engine?

Sorry, as I said I did not test drive the car proparly, I am waiting for test drive the car at the normal road conditions. The first time I drove it, it did felt like you need to push hard to get the power, but as soon as I get into second corner, we went crazy. But may be it is just same as 2.4l camry or previous 3.0l camry, at new the car engine is a bit hard to take off. The more your drive the better it will become.

Great stuff alphacool, I wish I could be the one test driving it <_< Never been to Calder so I wouldn't know what the first corner was like... Probably get a weird look if I tried taking my Camry there :blink: It's definately good to know that Toyota has managed something quicker than the Commordor / Falcons and with a smaller engine capacity too!

Waiting for your report on normal road tests :)

Edited by mulla