weird polish

specialized32

Hey guys

Well I went down the shop the other day and had a splurge on some good polish. Ended up getting that Nxt Maguire’s polish. Anyway did it properly by hand with the applicator pad, buffed it all off, all with microfibre cloths etc. BUT. Now instead of the paint surface feeling smooth it feels “grainy” I can see in the sun that I removed all the polish its has a "mirror finish" but it still feels like that. Is that normal for nxt? Last polish I used was meguires wet look and after that the paint surface felt like glass.

Hey guys

Well I went down the shop the other day and had a splurge on some good polish. Ended up getting that Nxt Maguire’s polish. Anyway did it properly by hand with the applicator pad, buffed it all off, all with microfibre cloths etc. BUT. Now instead of the paint surface feeling smooth it feels “grainy” I can see in the sun that I removed all the polish its has a "mirror finish" but it still feels like that. Is that normal for nxt? Last polish I used was meguires wet look and after that the paint surface felt like glass.

dude did you apply with a dry applicator pad?

im no expert but I found it easier to clean if you wet your applicator with water then apply the wax..

BTW im using that Meguair yellow paste wax...

or did you leave the wax there for too long and it dried out??? :idea:

Edited by 1zzfewagon

That doesnt sound right man, I'd be checking that 1- the car was clean, 2- the applicator was clean and dry 3- the microfibre was clean and dry and 4- you buffed it all off fairly quickly....

If that still isnt right, i'd contact Maguires...

Maybe when you redo it, just do like your front fender or something, just a small section so you dont waste time doing the whole car if it isnt right....

Id give the car a really good wash first though....and another trick I learnt off a local detailer *cough*silvabullit*cough* was when you wash your care, after the rinse, take it for a quick fang around the block, as this helps remove all the excess water. As the surface of the car is not perfectly flat, the water will sit in the minute ripples and be a little harder to dry....leaving little room for the polish to sit into....

From what I've learnt from silva and Chompies, mixing water with wax is a big no no.

Always make sure your pad is clean, as well as your microfibre towels. When washing your towels use dishwashing detergent (believe it or not) in the wash when cleaning them. It'll make them softer.

Additionally try claying the car first. Meguires make a clay kit which picks up microscopic bits of dirt that get rubbed into your finish when you wax it.

The steps are:

1) Wash car

2) Clay treatment

3) Wax

When I did this to mine the finish was that smooth that the towel just glided off the bonnet by itself nearly.

• 1 month later...

I'd wash with the gold class, then clay bar treatment with detailer spray, apply colour boost (this also removes prior polish and waxes too but adds it own) and finish off with NXT wax.

meguires is the shizz man!!!