2 Way Component Speakers

ChArMs_RT142

Hallo i have crappy Boss Audio 2 way 180watt (probably really 5 watt ) component speakers :P i want to put in my car

question is do i need to run it off an amp??? i have speakers already running through my system dont know if it can handle this aswell mind you speakers are only 4inch one's :lol: :lol: thats all i can fit on my car :blink: weird (i could modify but bleh)

Let me know audio freaks :spiteful: LoL

Hallo i have crappy Boss Audio 2 way 180watt (probably really 5 watt ) component speakers :P i want to put in my car

question is do i need to run it off an amp??? i have speakers already running through my system dont know if it can handle this aswell mind you speakers are only 4inch one's :lol: :lol: thats all i can fit on my car :blink: weird (i could modify but bleh)

Let me know audio freaks :spiteful: LoL

I'm running 6x9's in my sedan, i attached the 6x9 wiring onto the back speaker wires which runs into the head-unit. I have had the car like that for over a year and there hasn't been a problem yet.

Though you might need a head-unit with more output (watts) or an amplifier to get the most out of the speakers you want to add.

Hope this helps :D

So what your saying is u have 4 speakers running through your head unit without an amp ??

Just wondering cause i have an amp running for my sub so just wondering if i have to get another as my amp is only a 2 channel amp .

You don't need to run them off an amp and I recommend you shouldn't either. Why? Because;

1. You will not notice any difference with those speakers

2. You will most likely blow them within a week

3. You are simply using more power in your car for nothing

4. Let's not try to start a fire either

How much have you got to spend and how far to you want to take it??

If your just installing those components in then just run them off the HU.

If you have the money to get another amp, then I'd suggest to use that amount to get some component splits off Jaycar and run those off the HU. No amp in the world would make your Boss speakers sound really good.

Um well i only want to use what i have as rego is due lol so cant be spending at this time eventually i will upgrade but for now i want these in ..

So what ill do is just put them in and see what happens :lol: if i blow the stereo of what eva ohwell lol

Photo added wanting to know which wires go where ?! there were no instructions in the box :ph34r:

Not much experience with crossovers so I don't know what the "- 3dB" thing is (the half power point?)...

-IN+ = Input (power from your amp/HU/existing speaker wire), pos and neg

-WF+ = Woofer (the big speaker part), pos and neg

-TW+ = Tweeter (the lil' speaker), pos and neg

Edit: I made you a little drawing...

crossovergb7.png

Edited by Tayles

So what your saying is u have 4 speakers running through your head unit without an amp ??

Just wondering cause i have an amp running for my sub so just wondering if i have to get another as my amp is only a 2 channel amp .

Yes, I have the 6x9's running off the same head-unit my stock speakers are running. I have the 6x9's running off the same wiring as the back speakers.

Just looked at my crossovers closely, they don't have a terminal for the -3dB thing like Charms' pic but inside the case there's a switch. I can set them to 0, -3dB or -6dB... Still don't really understand the concept

Edit: The installation instructions for my set were on the back of the box.

Edited by Tayles

Thanks Tayles!! :clap: I'll put them in tommorow

Had a look at mine i have no switch in mine nore instructions anywhere to be seen on or in box :lol:

I'll go off what u wrote and see how it sounds hope there is no crackle & pop! :whistling: lol

You don't need to run them off an amp and I recommend you shouldn't either. Why? Because;

I must have been the only one to read this post... Don't put them in, they won't last. ;) And fires with Boss stuff (Assuming it's the boss from Strathfield and not the good ones from OS.) is easier said than done.

I must have been the only one to read this post... Don't put them in, they won't last. ;) And fires with Boss stuff (Assuming it's the boss from Strathfield and not the good ones from OS.) is easier said than done.

:ph34r::whistling: Guess these glasses im wearing arent doing me good lol....

:ph34r::whistling: Guess these glasses im wearing arent doing me good lol....

Nah it's because I edited the post afterwards :)

BigBum explained the -3dB thing to me (THANKS Brandon) and you don't need to worry about it.

I've nearly finished installing mine... It's a bit of a test of patience running the wires through the rubber grommet between the door and the cabin. Having the flu doesn't help :(

Awesome I'm all finished. Charms did you get yours done?

I'm running Alpine Type S components off a Soundstream Lil' Wonder 4.480 amp, all of which I bought this time last year and only just installed them :angry:.

Happy with the result though :) maybe it's 'cos I'm sick but I can't tell the difference between these and micky's new MB Quarts, which puts a smile on my face too. So my system is now complete and all my neons are working... time to cruise! (Maybe AFTER summernats weekend.... losers in V8's <_< )

Thank goodness ill keep a look out for anything smokey :unsure: lol im sure they will be ok i dont have my stereo to the max ..

Yes i put them in yesterday Tayles works a treat :D had to do some modifying to fit one of the speakers :ph34r: the base of the speaker was too big lol some cuttin & drilling all done :)

Mounted the cross over box on the sides under the dash ,tweeters still need to find a spot find now on dash lol

Groovy wanna swap speakers ? :P :lol:

One thing i dont like the sound of on the speakers damn low quality mp3 music!!!! <_< :lol:

will stick to cds hehe.

everyone boss 4inch speakers are no way a fire hazard.. there amps (another story) ... there subs will blow within a week but the speakers off the headunit will be fine.. one thing you shoudl always know with boss is.. dont buy it haha.. spend a bit more money and even get the cheap fusion splits for $80 for 4inch (or vdo or kenwood)

everyone boss 4inch speakers are no way a fire hazard.. there amps (another story) ... there subs will blow within a week but the speakers off the headunit will be fine.. one thing you shoudl always know with boss is.. dont buy it haha.. spend a bit more money and even get the cheap fusion splits for $80 for 4inch (or vdo or kenwood)

prolly not but when u do hear stories about fires, 90% of them are cheap strathfield stuff like boss and the likes.

Edited by Mikey

I knew the "Let's not try to start a fire either" comment would get people to say a thing or two. Obviously the chances are very low, but why risk it at all when you don't need to. It was exaggeration in case anyone missed it :)

In this case, she questioned whether her speakers need to be amped or not. Simple answer was no and also followed up with reasons why they shouldn't be. I never said the speakers would cause a fire. That is just ridiculous :P

Happy with the result though :) maybe it's 'cos I'm sick but I can't tell the difference between these and micky's new MB Quarts, which puts a smile on my face too.

you WISH buddy :P