What is the best Performance Tyre

YDOIT4

Hey pplz,

I am going to be purchasing new tyres in the next few weeks and i wanted to know what you all think would be my best option?

I have been told the Toyo T1-R are sticky is there any other tyres that are super sticky but not semi-slicks i want to get the best normal tyre without going semi-slicks so i still have control of my car in the rain <_<

Ohh and so u no the size is 205\55 16 or somewhere round there i currently have 195\45 16 so anything bigger and grippier is good but from what ive seen in the wheels and tyres section the 205/55 16 size is what everyone is using so i thought it looks like a good choice of tyre profile

I guess i need that .003 off my 1/4 time to be the #1 1zz in the forum lol jkz but it would be nice to see my ET go down with some better tread

any help is appreciated :D

Hi there

T1R in my point of view are the best tyre ive ever driven on Ive driven on the likes of Yokohamas to Bridgestone i find its reasonable priced & very grippy on all conditions,Mine runs in 16s,I personally use the 888s when im racing which is a semi slick tyre ideal for the hillclimb & occaisional drag session,the t1r's are streets radials ide recommend to everyone on the road today,its got a great directional cut,retains heat pretty good too,im on my second set in four years & i dont plan on changing from the T1R ,not until Toyo bring out something better

Good luck on improving ur times son..

lets see...

205/50/R16 is the ideal tyre size for 16 inch rims (ideal, meaning the most accurate towards the speedo i think, although 205/45/R16 cant hurt either as u wont get as much sidewall flex as the 50 series ;)

Options include:

Advan Neova AD07

Size: 205/50/R16 87V or 205/45/R16

Price: around $250 to $260 a tyre

Characteristics: Awesome tyres in the dry and above average in the wet (based on personal experience)

Life Expectancy: around 30,000 to 40,000 kms with track n mountain passes inclusive (more if u don't do that kind of driving)

Note: voted best street tyre in the japanese market on numerous occasions and also require warming up to get maximum grip

Bridgestone RE01-R

Size: 205/45/R16 (for other 16 inch sizes, need to check the catalogue...cbf doing so myself :P)

Price: slightly more exxy than the AD07 at around $280 to $300 a pop if i remember correctly

Characteristics: awesome tyres in the dry and nearly just as good in the wet (not based on personal experience but on reviews and feedback by other drivers who sport these tyres)

Life Expectancy: around 10.000 kms more than the AD07 but again depends on the style of ur driving

Note: has been said that it is also one of the stickiest street tyres available, even more so than the AD07 apparently

umm what else....

Falken RT215 (discontinued) and RT615 (replacement)

Size: 205/45/R16

Price: slightly cheaper at around $200 to $230 a pop i believe

Characteristics: very good in the dry and not so good in the wet (again based on friends experience)

Life Expectancy: not as good as both of the above tyres

Note: like the AD07, these tyres require warming up to be able to get the best out of them. Has received both positive and negative feedback, tho personally i have heard more negatives than positives about these tyres

some others that are worthy of a mention include:

Toyo T1-R

Bridgestone S-03

Bridgestone G-III

Michelin Pilot Preceda

Personally the first two tyres listed above would be my choice for maximum grip that is also suitable for the street......if u want all out grippage n have no concerns about tyre wear and tyre noise and price for that matter, than semis is the next step up. (Advan A048 would be my first choice in semis :toast: )

THe advans & Bridgestones RE01s although really popular with the JDM majority,i seem to think people buy these because of popularity,Dont get me wrong the Advans & RE01s are proven to be the ducks nuts withn certain circles in motorsports,all over the globe but we forget the likes of Michelin pilots, Pirellis & Dunlop direzzaa which have been awarded many accolades & credits,The pilots i used for a full race season,although they were great on all conditions,the grip debate will always fall into personal feel & in our case does it fit our budgets..its comes down to feel & driving style..in the end its how much u wanna spend??

love to know what the outcome is ??

Ok i had a look at the Toyo R1-R and they are soooo sexy but i have a question how well do they perform in the wet i dont want a set of tyres that do uber aquaplanning in the wet under any sort of pressure??

I really want those R1-R's but the T1-R's look better in the wet i just need to know if they are still usable in the wet and they are sold :spiteful:

Ok i had a look at the Toyo R1-R and they are soooo sexy but i have a question how well do they perform in the wet i dont want a set of tyres that do uber aquaplanning in the wet under any sort of pressure??

I really want those R1-R's but the T1-R's look better in the wet i just need to know if they are still usable in the wet and they are sold :spiteful:

The R1Rs are awesome track tyre,My team mate's uses this on his SR20DET powered Kitcar(the guy beats everytime by ten to fifteen seconds),The rest of us use the T1Rs for club events (all daily drivers mind you ) we seem to always show better performance in the wet to the other competitors with tyres ranging from Yokys to the Federals,the T!Rs are a sexy patterned tyre & once again (not becoz im sponsored by toyo)have never let me down..four top ten placings in a lightly tuned corolla ascent is proof to me & my teammates :toast::toast:

Ill find out from my tyre guy how much i can get the R1-R and the T1-R for and if i can get the R1-R for a good price ill get them if not ill be happy with the T1-R tyres

;) hmm actually it would be more than likely that the T1-R would last longer than the R1-R i guess as the R1-R are a motorsport tyre so it says on toyo.com.au it wouldnt last as long as the T1-R as it looks pretty much like a semi-slick so id say the T1-R would last longer most likely

hmm i dunno im confusing myself now :blink: ill find out pricing next week and see which one is more affordable....... :ph34r::ph34r: ill tell you wat i end up with soon