Gear Knob(UPDATE)

Just got my latest mod for the corolla, its a Razo 480g gear knob (approx 2 x hearvier then stock)!!

I know its heavy, but apparantly it can help reduce some of the notchiness that is found in stock gear shifts. Only drawback though is that it needs a bit more force to move....but once it gets moving the momentum from the heavier gear knob should allow it to slide home much more better. Well thats the advertising and theory behind it.

Will give a brief review tomorrow after I come back from work. Got it for $34 delivered brand new!!. To get a gear knob that heavy from TWM over in the US (or is it canada) cost about $124USD delivered which should be around $160AUD!! I'm waiting for the cable and base bushing set off them.

My current aim is to get a more solid gear change, so maybe a DIY short shifter is on the menu.

post-2295-1172745002_thumb.jpg

Opps forgot to rotate the image lol

UPDATE: Ok, couldn't resist it until tomorrow. Installed, and it sits a bit lower then stock. Funny thing is that the gear shifting seems lighter (?), the notchiness is still there but not as apparant. The overall shifting motion is much more smoother!! Overall it has a better effect then changing to synthetic gear oil and all for only $34!!

Cheers

Edited by Suprathai

Hmm, I much prefer my standard Sportivo one over any other I have seen. TRD one isn't bad with a short shifter kit, but I'd probably end up putting the SPortivo one back on to match the rest of the car interior.

I haven't had any problems with gear shifting so it could be just me.

heavier knobs are easier to shift :P

seconded :clap: :P

i have a TWM weighted knob on a TWM shortshifter and its much easier to shift then the stock knob on the shortshifter

Hey Mate,

what you gonna do with your sportivo g.knob.. you interested in maybe selling it?

let us know.. im on the search for one.. your new gear knob looks awsm..

cheers C-rolla..

Hey I did this too a while back! Did you get yours from eBay??? Couln't believe how cheap they were!

I got the leather 420g one with red stitching - gained the same sort of shifting feel as you described.

Check my members ride for pics ;)

Green Tea is Me

Nutella and Nescafe is the Missus

Jaycar bag is my voltage stabilizer kit in the making, still need a fuse holder and resistors.

After a the trip back from work, this is one mod that I definitely recommend. Unless of course you could find a CAI for under $50.

I know the one your talking about Tayles, its the Razo Leather knob with red stitching. That one looks much better in my opinion, but for $34 I'm damn happy!!

I was actually after that gear knob, but on the day of planning to purchase it (found it on www.modyourcar.com) went to e-bay and saw this beauty....couldn't find it last time and bought it straight away.

Cheers

Edited by Suprathai

• 2 weeks later...