Seat Covers for seats with "airbags"

Hi,

Ive been looking around to get front seat covers for an Aurion that are airbag compatable. I saw 2 in Auto 1 but they were very grandpa'ish.

Any hints or web sites etc?

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Edited by Adrian

The ever popular "throwover" type seatcovers all come with warnings on them, "do not fit to vehicle with side airbags".

Toyota usually have seat covers as genuine accessories don't they? What constitutes "air bag compatible" anyhow?

EDIT: I understand the airbag lives underneath the seat, but what sort of seat cover could be out of its way when it deploys? Are they specially shaped or what?

Edited by Tayles

I'm with your line of reasoning on that one, Tayles.

I asked a Toyota doody a few months ago what the story was regarding airbag-friendly seat covers, and his reply was simply.... a shrug.

There are no airbags inside the seat (or you would be catapulted out the car)

There are no airbags right underneath the seat (unless you drive KITT, in which case try spot your house)

Anyway, I don't think the average seat cover would stand up to the force of an airbag. Surely, for the most part, it would just rip it aside?

The ever popular "throwover" type seatcovers all come with warnings on them, "do not fit to vehicle with side airbags".

Toyota usually have seat covers as genuine accessories don't they? What constitutes "air bag compatible" anyhow?

EDIT: I understand the airbag lives underneath the seat, but what sort of seat cover could be out of its way when it deploys? Are they specially shaped or what?

It would presume it would work on the same principle at the steering wheel boss and dash panel. The stitching on the side would be made weak by design, so that it's easily pierced by the airbag as it deploys. Or perhaps it has velcro sides?

Airbag compatible covers are made with the sides stiched with a tearable cotton thread designed to shear off when the bag goes.

The other commons design is to use normal sticting on the sides but have the material perforated on the internal bit over the airbag and overlaid with a thin layer of rippable cotton.

And i think the airbags are built inside the side wall of the seat (right under that "airbag" cloth badge)

Bascially its a matter of how you are going to try justify stuff to the insurer if u ever needed to i guess.

So should i remove the Throwovers ?

Maybe if you want some comeback to toyota/insurer on an acident if the airbag could have saved you, good luck in proving that.

Yes the airbags are in the side of the seat (lower quadrent as labled by the tag on the seat), for an Aurion.

Thanks for the feed back, I'll keep searching.

Adrian

it depends on how much you want to spend, but if u want i'll pm u a place that will retrim the entire car in custom leather and it will be airbag friendly too.

the quote for my car was about 2200ish

it depends on how much you want to spend, but if u want i'll pm u a place that will retrim the entire car in custom leather and it will be airbag friendly too.

the quote for my car was about 2200ish

Thanks, but no. I'm only willing to pay a <$200.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have just bought some throw overs instead and modified them. eg just cut them where they wrap around the door side of the car seat so they are just flapping around (re-stiched so they dont fray). Looks a little uglyer, but should be OK. Main aim is to pretect the cloth seat.

PS. I bought polyester/nylon ones, looks good but VERY bad choice due to makes you hot & sweaty.

Adrian