engine conversion

HSG74

hey everyone, i just wanna ask is there anyone that has ever done or heard of someone putting a gt4 engine in a celica sx 1990. good or bad stories plz tell. thanks

not sure if this is rumour or not, but I've been told (by a reputable source mind you) that the ST184 celica's were smaller in both width and depth to the ST185 (GT-4) Celica's.

All in all its probably 100x easier to buy a GT-4 mate.

The 3S-GE/3S-FE/5S-FE to 3S-GTE has been done heaps of times.

The problem with the conversion is that you have only Front Wheel Drive at the end of the day.

You will also need to upgrade the brakes.

you've got the same issue as me since the camry and celica are kinda like non identical twins... yes it's easy to transplant the 3SGTE instead of the *SFE... BUT.... since u already like the celica's shape (unlike me) then it'd be 100x easier and cheaper for u to just buy a GT4.... if you upgrade to the 3SGTE then expect to blow up your gearbox and CV joints within a month and u'll have to upgrade the brakes too... at the end of the day it'll be a just as fast as a GT4 (yeah it's lighter but it's FWD thus losing grip) it'll also end up costing u more

to top it up... lightly mod your current celica while saving up for a GT4 then take everything out of your current celica and put it on the GT4... if you want you could also use the block out of your 5SFE and put it on the GT4 you'll also have to upgrade the internals... that way u end up with a 3/5SGTE 2.2L turbo adding to the car's originality... or you could just stroke the 3SGTE to 2.2L

my 2c

Edited by d_ice