CAI NOT WORKING

I Also fitted my CAI to my 2ZZ!!

At first it was freaken LOUD!! In LIFT! It was like a Vicious Dog Bark!!

Its got a bit softer nw tho!!! but definately still far louder than stock air box!!

However I feel the the original air box and filter gaves me better performance!!!

Also with the CAI, U got to warm the car up before u can drive!! (Very irritating considering the fact that Im on the road the whole day) Also the car battles at 1000 - 2000RPM and has a FLAT SPOT AT BOUT 4500-6000RPM ( Around there )!!!

Any one with similar probrem????

I told u..............

Powder Coat the pipe. U sucking in hot air thats y.

IT is a problem with cold starts but only happens in the morning.

The rest of the day is fine for me.

Car is going nicely, i will take u for a spin ;-)

I told u..............

powder coating the pipe won't make a rats difference to the way the car goes nor will it change the heat resistance....

Most of the CAI's that are used on this forum require you to warm the car up first before you drive away.

As for the flat spot do an ECU reset.

I HAVE A CUSTOM BUILT REPLICA OF THE CES INTAKE!!

76mm STAINLESS STEEL BANDREL BENDS!! AND A SIMOTA DUAL CONE FILTER!!

I HAD THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED FOR an HOUR!!! SO I ASSUME THATS HOW U RESET THE ECU!!! OR AM I WRONG!!

ALSO MAYBE I DIDNT BLOCK THE VACUUM PIPING PROPERLY!!!

GONNA CHECK THE HOW TO SECTION FOR CAI!!!!

WILL GO FOR A SPIN IN NAUGHTYS CAR FIRST AND SEE WHETHER ITS WORTH IT!!!! MY CAI IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO HIS!!!!

I told u..............

powder coating the pipe won't make a rats difference to the way the car goes nor will it change the heat resistance....

Most of the CAI's that are used on this forum require you to warm the car up first before you drive away.

Well if its a stainless steel pipe would it not get too hot. Therefore sending in hot air?

I told u..............

Well if its a stainless steel pipe would it not get too hot. Therefore sending in hot air?

now, i may be wrong, so please feel free to correct me people in the know.. but im pretty sure that like 99% of CAI's are stainless steel/some sort of metal and powdercoating is pretty much just a way of colouring things using a powder coat, hence the name powder coating...

I dont understand why some of the top CAI's would be stainless steel and come uncoated if they provide some good performance.. What you might be thinking of is ceramic coating?

also, im sure you are less likely to come across "heat soak"(which is where the heat in the engine bay pretty much is getting taken into your intake) using a CAI then you would a SRI, the whole point of a CAI is to suck in cold air from outside the engine bay, and i assume this would keep the pipe semi cool..if you were to have a SRI or Short Ram Intake where the pod filter is inside the engine bay, then you would be sucking in quite a bot of hot air and your car wouldnt run then say if it had a CAI... But powder coating here is useless me thinks!!!

If you look around the forums im sure you wont find many people who've powdercoated their CAI, maybe people who have ceramic coated intakes(on the inside) which im sure provides better air flow..but hey correct me if im wrong anyone cause im not 100% sure on alot of what i just said..lol

Some CAI's do have a particular characteristic of giving you less low down torque as you describe at 1000-2000 rpm, which is where alot of daily driving is in traffic. But check for any leaks and also check the MAF is correctly placed.

Perhaps your cai needs to Airflow straightners welded into the pipe before the MAF to ensure its getting correct readings throughout the rev range.

1. Dude stop typing in caps. its the internet equivilant of shouting and noone here is deaf lol

2. have you tried searching the forum for this? coz i do believe ECU resets, CAI, and warming the car up b4 you drive have been hammered to death b4

3. id like to beg to differ regarding better performance with a stock box over a CAI :huh:

I HAVE A CUSTOM BUILT REPLICA OF THE CES INTAKE!!

76mm STAINLESS STEEL BANDREL BENDS!! AND A SIMOTA DUAL CONE FILTER!!

I HAD THE BATTERY DISCONNECTED FOR an HOUR!!! SO I ASSUME THATS HOW U RESET THE ECU!!! OR AM I WRONG!!

ALSO MAYBE I DIDNT BLOCK THE VACUUM PIPING PROPERLY!!!

GONNA CHECK THE HOW TO SECTION FOR CAI!!!!

WILL GO FOR A SPIN IN NAUGHTYS CAR FIRST AND SEE WHETHER ITS WORTH IT!!!! MY CAI IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO HIS!!!!

My eyes hurt :(

Sorri for the Bold text guys!!!

Gonna fit the CAI back on my car this weekend and do the ECU RESET properly!! Lets hope it makes a diffence!!! Either than the CAI, my car is stock standard!! I was thinking that maybe the CAI is only really effective with a good performance exhaust ( 2 BOX mandrel bent 63mm )!!

Care to comment!! Any one with just the CAI done only!!

Firstly the CES CAI for the 2zz is mild steel and HPC coated inside and out. The CES CAI for the 1zz is stainless steel. TRD is aluminium.The pipe on a CAI gets pretty hot as I have compared the difference between the TRD and the CES tmperature wise. After a short hard drive the TRD pipe is very hot and holding it for any length of time will burn your hand. The HPC coated CES pipe on the other hand is lukewarm. So obviously the coating does reduce the amount of heatsoak into the pipe from the intake manifold/throttle body etc etc. So consequently the HPC coated pipe will deliver cooler air to the intake.

As for the flat spot low in the rev range firstly check that the maf is mounted correctly and isn't leaking. You have said that you made a copy of the CES CAI now have you got he maf mounted exactly in the middle of the pipe?? And is it mounted the right distance from the throttle body?? Have you got all the pipes etc connected to the VSV Valve and have the other vacuum lines blocked off?? These are things that will affect operation and performance. Also when you go to a bigger diameter pipe it takes the maf a little longer to read the airflow through the pipe which does affect throttle response. There is a way around this and it is the way you apply the throttle. All CAI's will do it to some degree if you just put your foot flat at very low revs it will lag in response but if you progressively apply the throttle it will respond quite nicely.

JC has CES CAI on his Sportivo with no other mods and he was trying to drive it like it had the airbox on it. Just pushing his foot flat at no rpm and consequently little or no acceleration to be had. I then drove the car and showed him how to progressively apply the throttle and he couldn't believe the difference to how the car picks up it's revs. Car goes great and really pulls hard right hrough the rev range.

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Cheers SB :D