2005 Camry Sportivo help!!

Kristof1990

Hey all.

Im new to these forum thingo's... but i thought that id give it a crack.

I have a 05 camry sportivo.

Im after some after market parts for it.

Mainly looking for body kits and what not.

The other thing is, that it is auto.

Is there any way that it could be converted, how much would this cost, and would it be a really big mission to do this?

Regards,

Kristof

Hey all.

Is there any way that it could be converted, how much would this cost, and would it be a really big mission to do this?

Regards,

Kristof

i dont get why people buy autos and then want to convert it to manual? why not just by a manual in the first place

for the amount of money it would cost you and the pain of converting it, you may as well sell it and buy a manual outright. imo, it's not worth the effort for a $14000~ car. having said it, if youre game enough, then it is possible. i'd steer away from buying new parts from toyota themselves, go to a wreckers and source all the shifting gear, transmissions, clutch, etc. from written off cars. it will still cost you heaps though

Edited by lateralus

Hey all.

Regards,

Kristof

i dont get why people buy autos and then want to convert it to manual? why not just by a manual in the first place

for the amount of money it would cost you and the pain of converting it, you may as well sell it and buy a manual outright. imo, it's not worth the effort for a $14000~ car. having said it, if youre game enough, then it is possible. i'd steer away from buying new parts from toyota themselves, go to a wreckers and source all the shifting gear, transmissions, clutch, etc. from written off cars. it will still cost you heaps though

The reason some people buy autos, is because at the time thats the best they can do. We cant all buy exactly what we want, sometimes we have to make do with what we can...

In saying that, when we have the funding/time or whatever it is, then we can put it into the car or whatever. People just like to do things differently. And another thing, i like to do all the work myself. i have just moved across from nissans to toyota's and with all my nissans, i rebuilt them even if they where... non turbo, auto or whatever.

Thats why people sometimes buy things and then want to change them later.

Hey all.

Regards,

Kristof

The reason some people buy autos, is because at the time thats the best they can do. We cant all buy exactly what we want, sometimes we have to make do with what we can...

In saying that, when we have the funding/time or whatever it is, then we can put it into the car or whatever. People just like to do things differently. And another thing, i like to do all the work myself. i have just moved across from nissans to toyota's and with all my nissans, i rebuilt them even if they where... non turbo, auto or whatever.

its your money

Keep it auto. Finding a manual transmission for your Camry will be scarce. In addition when it comes time to sell you will NEVER recover the money back for doing the conversion as manuals are always cheaper than Autos and well depreciation... you can't help that part there obviously.

Don't worry I've ended up with an automatic Corolla because I got sick of looking specifically for a manual Corolla that was in good condition, etc etc. I have weighed up the costs and it certainly is not worth the hassle nor the money to do the conversion.

Not only will it be expensive but you'll be without a car for good few weeks and only then will you regret doing the conversion. Costs you'll be looking at the big 5k that is using scarce wrecker parts matched with some new pieces plus labour... otherwise expect to pay a lot more for brand new parts.

If you really want a manual you are far better off purchasing a brand new Camry as a manual off the showroom floor or just keep looking for a manual Camry Sportivo or just stick with what you got.

But anyways good luck with it... I'll post up again soon as I've got few saved links of sites with parts for your Camry... if you want as well join up to auscam.org - Camry forum. :)

Edited by 11TWO

Hey all.

Regards,

Kristof

its your money

excatly! So why does it bother you? If you can't get it y people do things a certain way, ask. Nobody needs your approval of needs to see your POV. You can't do it doesn't mean everyone can't as well. Nice welcoming for a newbie. Keep this up and TOCAU might need to enlist the services of a PR company soon. Thanks.

Having said that, Kristof1990 WELCOME !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sporti-emo aside, you'll find some good contributors to the forum and information! Enjoy!

Ya know what... I'm yet to see a Bodykit on the Gen 5s... unless it's the Sportivo kit :) The US is probably the only place you'll source it from (maybe Asia as well, I saw a few in Thailand... particularly Phuket - they were MINT)

Ya know what... I'm yet to see a Bodykit on the Gen 5s... unless it's the Sportivo kit :) The US is probably the only place you'll source it from (maybe Asia as well, I saw a few in Thailand... particularly Phuket - they were MINT)

agreed. there's very little aftermarket support for body mods for the gen 5 in australia, majority of bodykit pieces need to be imported. toyota did offer a genuine accessory sports grille and racing spoiler for the gen 5, but theyre as rare as hens teeth

excatly! So why does it bother you? If you can't get it y people do things a certain way, ask. Nobody needs your approval of needs to see your POV. You can't do it doesn't mean everyone can't as well. Nice welcoming for a newbie. Keep this up and TOCAU might need to enlist the services of a PR company soon. Thanks.

Having said that, Kristof1990 WELCOME !!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sporti-emo aside, you'll find some good contributors to the forum and information! Enjoy!

take a chill pill Guni! when did i say i dont approve? all i was saying is that its going to cost a lot of money and take a lot of effort, not to mention be a bitch with locating all the correct parts at a reasonable price. being a 2005 model, theres not many that youll find around at wreckers, so the better part of the parts will have to be new - big bucks!

and yes, welcome Kristof1990, didnt notice you just joined. :)

Edited by lateralus

Welcome mate! Yeah I agree with what the others have said, ether keep it an auto or go and trade your car for a manual one. It would probably cost no less than about $4000 I would say, as you need quite a few bits and pieces, possibly a new ECU as it is involved with the Auto box, not sure if it would work with the manual trans.

Realistically speaking. I would sell the auto and get a manual! Here is why.

Prices for parts from toyota if you can't find them from wreakers but must haves...

1. Manual ECU - $2200

2. Drive axles are different - $500 PER SIDE (you need both as the autos DONT sit into the gearbox properly)

3. Gearbox - You dont even want to know what Toyota wants for them. Wreckers, you'll be able to get them for about 600-800 depending on km

4. Flywheel - $460

5. Clutch - $360

6. Transmission mount plate and transmission mount - $150

7. Labout - $2000

These are the major things, now for the minor things

1. Clutch master cylinder

2. Manual brake master cylinder

3. Clutch + Brake pedals

4. Shifter

5. Trim panels

6. Gear Knob

7. Shifter cable

8. Assorted bolts (flywheel bolts, pressure plate dowels etc...)

9. New axle seals

^^ These "minor" things actually add up in costs very very fast! I know this as a fact as I've been researching this for a while. The reason why I havent done what I suggested to you is that I have a S/C on my car and a good condition, manual gen4 is rare as hell. The also s/c doesnt fit without mods on the more common manual gen5s. But the final straw is that my auto box is slowing dying.......

Edited by STYLSH

take a chill pill Guni! when did i say i dont approve? all i was saying is that its going to cost a lot of money and take a lot of effort, not to mention be a bitch with locating all the correct parts at a reasonable price. being a 2005 model, theres not many that youll find around at wreckers, so the better part of the parts will have to be new - big bucks!

and yes, welcome Kristof1990, didnt notice you just joined. :)

Great advice and excellent work. Keep this up!

Thanks for the PM. Reply to that is the same as above.

• 2 months later...

If you boost, auto has great advantages. Just think about this...

Your car keeps accelerating WHILE it shifts. So you don't have a break in boost, so you don't get lag!

Its just a constant rush of power. Its quite exhilarating.. Of course Manual has its advantages in driver involvement. Its all due to driver's preference to be honest.

W/ the money to do the tranny swap, i'd just save a bit more and go turbo.

Hi and a late late welcome!

Good luck if you are still planning to convert to manual!

I drive a manual V6 sportivo and I have driven my dad's V6 altise.

for the money to convert it to a manual, in my opinion would definately not add up.

Yes I do drive a manual and I love it. But if it were me that was converting to manual from an auto, I'm pretty sure the conversion would be stressful as hell and trying to locate things will be difficult.

As princesspeach has mentioned, probably save up and do turbo or supercharge mods.

But hey! That is me!

And that is YOUR car.

So pretty much do what you choose to do.

I just don't want you to regret it after the process, after spending so much money on it.

Which is also why I gave my opinion on it.

But if you do! once again, good luck and tell us how it comes along!

Cheers

Sorry to sort of contradict myself...

But driving manual with the V6 is oh so good!

The surge of power and keeping it in gear! OWH!

I will get depressed when i need to replace the clutch later down the track....

Hopefully enough money to get a heavy duty excedy

But yeah..... prioritise and think long term..

I should also suggest going to a car yard looking for a manual camry and giving that a go...

that might determine if you should do it or not

Cheers!

EDIT: In addition, if only the box was a 6 speed, I would say do it. But the stock ratios on the car sometimes don't feel that good.

I think 2-3 or 3-4 might be a little too spaced apart. Well this is if you plan to keep the car with stock power.

Then again, it ain't a race car.

Sorry, don't hate.

It is just things that are popping in my head

Edited by mikeypoopi3

If you are doing major stuff like FI, then it may pay to get a manual camry in the first place as the autos can and will fail over time. They dont cope with with the extra torque very well. However if you arent doing anything drastic than you can definitely keep the auto. However saying that quite a few people in the states has said that a supercharged auto feels very similar to a na manual 5 speed! So you do gain performance through the shorter gearing (1 extra gear!) and do without the 15-20% parasitic loss the auto box sucks up.

I am in the middle of converting mine because even with a measly 4psi boost, the auto box was dying.

Edited by STYLSH