Footwell lights in 2009 Levin ZR

Hey'all.

Just wondering if some one can guide me to find the easiest interior power source/wire to hook up some footwell SMD led's. As the ZR has airbags everywhere, the dome wont be that easy to use if at all. Does anyone know off the top of their heads the best place to pick up an interior light power source? Ie on/off with the doors. Ive searched the forums but most threads seem to be for older rolla's and use the dome.

Thanks for your assistance ")

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now its sorted, see installation guide below:

2009 ZRE SMD Interior footwell illumintaion

fullshotblue.jpg

Removal of the Glove box cover:

remove.jpg

1. Remove the door suspension part, just pulls off in the direction shown.

2. Pull the lower part of the door towards you to release the hinges, easy as. It will snap out of place.

This will expose the wiring cluster behind the glove box....

The Cluster:

Finding what we are after..

cluster.jpg

Note the plug to the left of the cluster, with 3 white/pink striped wires and 1 solid blue wire. This is the internal lighting control wiring.

The Power Source:

closeup-1.jpg

Here are the power wires. Tested with a multimeter and these are def the ones that run the dome lights. Blue= (+)Positive, White/pink (-) negative.

These are the ones you are going to want to tap into. Use scotch locks if you like, probably the best and safest way. I would recommend running a fuse in line also, i dont think it would be needed but just in case.

Ill edit this post and continue the instal when i get my SMD strips in a week or so....

-=+ Install Continued +=-

FRONT FOOTWELL SMD's

frontblue.jpg

I opted to use the 5050 SMD strip, from KennethStore88 on ebay. Man these are nice and bright. After receiving a few other types in the mail, these shat over all the others. Much bigger SMD chips. They are also connectible, ie can connect them in series, which makes things easy. These come with connection wires also. Just cut the plug end off and away you go. Also, due to these having pins/plugs, you can change the colours at any time, just unplug and plug in your new colour. Easy as, no soldering or re-wiring.

The following info is for direct soldering to the factory wiring.

<<IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS TO THE FACTORY WIRING PLEASE SEE UPDATE IN POST #31 FOR BREECHING EXTENSION>>

Ok. Now you want to either use some of those dodgy scotch locks to splice into the two wires mentioned above, or strip a little insulation off and solder some wires to the dome wires. You can use some small gauge speaker wire if you like more length to play with. Run the 'marked" wire with the "+" wire so you know which one is power all the time. I soldered the SMD connector wires straight to the Dome power and negative wires. Be sure to check the SMD strip is working before you solder reverse the polarity if it doesnt.

Like this:

Splicein.jpg

(i apologize for the crappy photoshop job, a few people weren't sure about this step)

Alternatively you can use scotch locks instead of soldering.

So essentially you want to connect the first 5050 SMD strip. Test is working and thats it for now. Dont stick it up under the lower glove box yet. Leave it on.

Take two of the cables that come with the SMD's, cut both ROUND plugs off, Join the wires(be sure to get the polarity correct) using 1) Solder and shrink wrap or 2) twist and tape well. Solder is by far the best option. You could use joining terminals too i spose. IF your going to do rear footwell lights as well, you will need to splice in speaker wire here, when joining the two connection wires. Around 1.5m will do, that way you'll have plant to play with.

Front and Rear: (using connecting 5050 SMD strips)

5050smd.jpg

For NON connecting 5050 SMD's, wiring will be different, see bottom of this thread for diagrams.

Now connect the socket of the newly made cable to the back of the first SMD strip. Then take the other socket of the new cable, and connect your second SMD strip. If all goes well, they should both be glowing profusely. :)

Excellent.

Now its just a matter of fiddling through the cable we have just made, either using a wire/coat hanger wire or the 2nd SMD strip itself through behind the dash/stereo unit till you see it over near the drives side. I went up near the air condish foot outlet, theses a nice gap there.I actually pushed the glowing SMD strip through, made it easy to find :).

I also removed the lowest panel under the steering wheel, there is two screws and one click tab in the middle. With this removed you have easy access to find you cable.. Pull it through.

Now find where you want to put the SMD strips.

This is where i placed them:

Passenger Side:

passengerfootwell.jpg

(dont worry about stickin it on an uneven surface, it's fine. Any further bak and you could see it, i wanted mine hidden.)

Drivers side:

Driversfootwell.jpg

(again, due to the weird shapes down here, stick it where you like)

Now tuck the wires neatly out of the way, and there you go, stage one complete! :)

REAR FOOTWELL SMD's:

rearblue.jpg

This is a little more tricky. If you spliced in you speaker wire when you joined the two SMD strip connectors, you should have a length of wire sitting in the passenger footwell right about now. Run it down passenger side of the console in the footwell, you can flex the console a little here. Then run the wire the length of the console, tucking it between the carpet and the console.

Remove the Middle console glovebox. 4x10mm bolts will be found under the carpet liner in the console. Undo these. Next lift the rear of the handbrake rubber surround, it should snap up. The front sides are a little harder to remove, lift the rear and you will see little tabs toward the front and a gap to fit a screwdriver. Put a cloth or credit card on the console, and pry up those gaps to release the front clips. Youll see what i mean when you do this. Unplug the lighter and unscrew the other 10mm screws.

Lift out the console.

Now pick up the speaker wire,and continue tucking till you up to the handbrake. You are going to want to splice this wire, so strip the ends, and join the remaining SMD strip cables to these. You may actually be one SMD cable short due to joining two earlier. You can just order another cable when you get the SMD's or i had a joiner with mine, so i soldered another speaker wire to the first and third pin. So essentially you will have the feed speaker wire, split off to two positives and two negatives for the SMD's. If youve got his far you know what i mean :P Plug in the the SMD's to see they both light up. If they do all good, if not check polarity again.

I tried to pickup the airbag wires under the seats, but couldnt track them back to the console easily, and i didnt want to accidentally fire them so i opted to punch a small hole in the carpet on each side, near the rear seat mount. I fed a small hard plastic tube thru the hole up to the opening in the console area and taped on the SMD cable to the tube, and pulled it back thru to bring the cable out under the seat. (dam i hope that makes sense!) I recommend you cover the wire with that automotive black corrugated wire protection. Bring it up under the seat and leave it hang rear the rear, toward the console.

Position you SMD's and plug in, find the right spot for them and stick up under the seat on the material, they stick quite well. Check for free play in the wire, at bothe extensions of the seat, fully clode and way back.

Now neaten up your wiring, making sure that there is no way it can get caught up in the handbrake mechanism. Replace the center console glovebox and connect the lighter, clip back in the handbrake surround.

Ok, so you should have a set of operative front footwell lights and if you opted rears as well. All good :) YAY!!

This is just a guide, and i wont be held accountable for any screw ups, so please be careful, test all your connections before soldering and check your SMD strips are all working before running the cables.

NON Connecting 5050 SMD's diagram:

Front only non connecting SMD

Front and Rear non connecting SMD

Sorry, i had to link these as i had maxed out the number of pics allowed per post.

Over and Out,

D

Thanks to Whitey1212 for the hints.

Edited by dutchie101
  • Like 1

I've done it on mine - see the avatar.

Was easy to find the source.

Behind the glovebox (ie, take it out) you'll see a grid full of plugs. One plug has 3 wires in the back of it. This is the one you want. If there are more than one (I can't remember), open the door (to let the light go on) then pull out a plug to see if the light goes out. If it does, you need to grab power off the pink and white wires. There are either 2 white, 1 pink or 1 white, 2 pink. Either way, use a multimeter to test.

To grab the power from the cables I used a couple of crimping bits that splice through the insulation of the wire and touch against the copper inside. These bits take 2 wires - one for the source and one for the LED.

I've done it on mine - see the avatar.

Was easy to find the source.

Behind the glovebox (ie, take it out) you'll see a grid full of plugs. One plug has 3 wires in the back of it. This is the one you want. If there are more than one (I can't remember), open the door (to let the light go on) then pull out a plug to see if the light goes out. If it does, you need to grab power off the pink and white wires. There are either 2 white, 1 pink or 1 white, 2 pink. Either way, use a multimeter to test.

To grab the power from the cables I used a couple of crimping bits that splice through the insulation of the wire and touch against the copper inside. These bits take 2 wires - one for the source and one for the LED.

is it okay to take a pic for us to see what you've done ?

thanks Cuong.

Is this the same for ZZE and ZRE ?

Going by your description i'm inclined to think you're talking about Scotch locks.. right?

Scotch Lock Wiring Connector Video

yeah it is pretty easy smile.gif just find ur dome light wires

Is this the same place/thing 'Whitey1212' mentioned? is it behind the glovebox ??

As 'master.Cuong' said.. pictures pleasee!!

"A picture tells a THOUSAND words"

Thanks MasterC,

I had found that a few weeks ago also, i just didnt know what colours he had removed from that install procedure. I assume we are taking about the lower glove box? as there are two there. When i get my SMD's ill do a quick write up with pics if someone doesn't beat me to it..

What colours are other people going for? Amber to match the rest? Not sure if the blues would match well, they may do tho, after all, thats what Toyota offer as an extra.

Cheerin.

Not sure on the rules of posting sources, but i found these SMD blue strips from Honkers,

Ebay SMD Blue 30cm

Only AU$8 landed for 2 X 30cm, 15 SMD per strip. Pretty cheap. Ideal for the job at hand.

I also picked up 4X30cm amber SMD strips from the US, only US 2c and bout ten buck post.

Might even graba set or reds while im at it, but im more keen on blue/ambers.

Red 30cm 15 SMD strips

KennethStore88 has various sized SMD's in strips. Just noticed this after purchasing mine. Ah well, if they arent bright enough i know where to go now :) 2 bucks whatever!

Ill hook up both to see which one i like when they arrive.

If they prove popular, i might make up sets if anyone's interested, but its pretty straight forward.

Edited by dutchie101

Ok, had a fiddle around while i was bored...

Hers a rough copy of the install/sorting out the wiring so far. Well, just finding the wiring associated with the internal lighting really.

remove.jpg

2. Pull the lower part of the door towards you to release the hinges, easy as. It will snap out of place.

The Cluster:

cluster.jpg

Note the plug to the left of the cluster, with 3 white/pink striped wires and 1 solid blue wire. This is the internal lighting control wiring.

The Power Source:

closeup-1.jpg

Here are the power wires. Tested with a multimeter and these are def the ones that run the dome lights. Blue= (+)Positive, White/pink (-) negative.

These are the ones you are going to want to tap into. Use scotch locks if you like, probably the best and safest way. I would recommend running a fuse in line also, i dont think it would be needed but just in case.

Ill edit this post and continue the instal when i get my SMD strips in a week or so....

-=+ Install Continued +=-

I opted to use the 5050 SMD strip, from KennethStore88 on ebay. Man these are nice and bright. After receiving a few other types in the mail, these shat over all the others. Much bigger SMD chips. They are also connectible, ie can connect them in series, which makes things easy. These come with connection wires also. Just cut the plug end off and away you go. Also, due to these having pins/plugs, you can change the colours at any time, just unplug and plug in your new colour. Easy as, no soldering or re-wiring.

Ok. Now you want to either use some of those dodgy scotch locks to splice into the two wires mentioned above, or strip a little insulation off and solder some wires to the dome wires. You can use some small gauge speaker wire if you like more length to play with. Run the 'marked" wire with the "+" wire so you know which one is power all the time. I soldered the SMD connector wires straight to the Dome power and negative wires. Be sure to check the SMD strip is working before you solder reverse the polarity if it doesnt.

So essentially you want to connect the first 5050 SMD strip. Test is working and thats it for now. Dont stick it up under the lower glove box yet. Leave it on.

Take two of the cables that come with the SMD's, cut both plugs off, Join the wires(be sure to get the polarity correct) using 1) Solder and shrink wrap or 2) twist and tape well. Solder is by far the best option. You could use joining terminals too i spose. IF your going to do rear footwell lights as well, you will need to splice in speaker wire here, when joining the two connection wires. Around 1.5m will do, that way you'll have plant to play with.

Front only diagram

Plug )=============== Join==============( Plug

Front and Rear:

Plug)==============T T==================( Plug

Speaker wire========/ /

(Speaker wire splice in, hope that makes sense)

Now connect the socket of the newly made cable to the back of the first SMD strip. Then take the other socket of the new cable, and connect your second SMD strip. If all goes well, they should both be glowing profusely. :)

Excellent.

Now its just a matter of fiddling through the cable we have just made, either using a wire/coat hanger wire or the 2nd SMD strip itself through behind the dash/stereo unit till you see it over near the drives side. I went up near the air condish foot outlet, theses a nice gap there.I actually pushed the glowing SMD strip through, made it easy to find :).

I also removed the lowest panel under the steering wheel, there is two screws and one click tab in the middle. With this removed you have easy access to find you cable.. Pull it through.

Now find where you want to put the SMD strips.

This is where i placed them:

Passenger Side:

passengerfootwell.jpg

(dont worry about stickin it on an uneven surface, it's fine. Any further bak and you could see it, i wanted mine hidden.)

Drivers side:

Driversfootwell.jpg

(again, due to the weird shapes down here, stick it where you like)

Now tuck the wires neatly out of the way, and there you go, stage one complete! :)

REAR FOOTWELL LIGHTS:

This is a little more tricky. If you spliced in you speaker wire when you joined the two SMD strip connectors, you should have a length of wire sitting in the passenger footwell right about now. Run it down passenger side of the console in the footwell, you can flex the console a little here. Then run the wire the length of the console, tucking it between the carpet and the console.

Remove the Middle console glovebox. 4x10mm bolts will be found under the carpet liner in the console. Undo these. Next lift the rear of the handbrake rubber surround, it should snap up. The front sides are a little harder to remove, lift the rear and you will see little tabs toward the front and a gap to fit a screwdriver. Put a cloth or credit card on the console, and pry up those gaps to release the front clips. Youll see what i mean when you do this. Unplug the lighter and unscrew the other 10mm screws.

Lift out the console.

Now pick up the speaker wire,and continue tucking till you up to the handbrake. You are going to want to splice this wire, so strip the ends, and join the remaining SMD strip cables to these. You may actually be one SMD cable short due to joining two earlier. You can just order another cable when you get the SMD's or i had a joiner with mine, so i soldered another speaker wire to the first and third pin. So essentially you will have the feed speaker wire, split off to two positives and two negatives for the SMD's. If youve got his far you know what i mean :P Plug in the the SMD's to see they both light up. If they do all good, if not check polarity again.

I tried to pickup the airbag wires under the seats, but couldnt track them back to the console easily, and i didnt want to accidentally fire them so i opted to punch a small hole in the carpet on each side, near the rear seat mount. I fed a small hard plastic tube thru the hole up to the opening in the console area and taped on the SMD cable to the tube, and pulled it back thru to bring the cable out under the seat. (dam i hope that makes sense!) I recommend you cover the wire with that automotive black corrugated wire protection. Bring it up under the seat and leave it hang rear the rear, toward the console.

Position you SMD's and plug in, find the right spot for them and stick up under the seat on the material, they stick quite well. Check for free play in the wire, at bothe extensions of the seat, fully clode and way back.

Now neaten up your wiring, making sure that there is no way it can get caught up in the handbrake mechanism. Replace the center console glovebox and connect the lighter, clip back in the handbrake surround.

Ok, so you should have a set of operative front footwell lights and if you opted rears as well. All good :) YAY!!

This is just a guide, and i wont be held accountable for any screw ups, so please be careful, test all your connections before soldering and check your SMD strips are all working before running the cables.

Heres a quick pic of the passenger footwell, during the day!!

datimepassenger.jpg

Ill get some shots tonight of the footwells.

:)

Over and Out,

D

Edited by dutchie101

Hers a rough copy of the install/sorting out the wiring so far. Well, just finding the wiring associated with the internal lighting really.

remove.jpg

The Cluster:

cluster.jpg

The Power Source:

closeup-1.jpg

nice work pete i can see which one ur talking about now and i got my smd strip coming in this week or so :)

Cuong.

remove.jpg

The Cluster:

cluster.jpg

The Power Source:

closeup-1.jpg

nice work pete i can see which one ur talking about now and i got my smd strip coming in this week or so :)

Cuong.

sweet work "dutchie101".. :clap: . the pictures make it that much simpler :D

i've just ordered some Led's off ebay as well...

i'll prolly get around to doing it early next month. cant wait! :yahoo:

don't forget to post up pics when you've completed the DIY!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished, did the rears as well.

Can really take any more pics of the install, cause its tight in there, but i can explain it. Ill edit the original post, please scroll up for more info.

:)

Edited by dutchie101

Just like rims, lowering and bodykits huh?.... this is an JDM option from toyota.

....coming from a 29yr old guy with "how to attract women" link on his profile page. Now thats funny :)

Edited by dutchie101

Just like rims, lowering and bodykits huh?.... this is an JDM option from toyota.

....coming from a 29yr old guy with "how to attract women" link on his profile page. Now thats funny :)

You should be the special effects guy in the next Fast n Furious... ;)

Edited by Modena

LOL!! :D

The blue is a little crazy i will admit that :P , originally i was going to use the amber or red, but the blue 5050 SMD's were far brighter and came with the plug n play wiring, so as long as i have the wiring in place i can change colour at anytime easily with other 5050 SMD's from the same supplier.

Still, coming from a JDM/Drift/VIP background, ive never really herd the term "rice" before i started on these forums. I must be getting old. Now Fast and furious,well.... dont get me started!!

Is it the colour that make it "ricey" or the mere fact that i have illumintaed footwells? My Beemer has em stock.

LOL!! :D

The blue is a little crazy i will admit that :P , originally i was going to use the amber or red, but the blue 5050 SMD's were far brighter and came with the plug n play wiring, so as long as i have the wiring in place i can change colour at anytime easily with other 5050 SMD's from the same supplier.

Still, coming from a JDM/Drift/VIP background, ive never really herd the term "rice" before i started on these forums. I must be getting old. Now Fast and furious,well.... dont get me started!!

Is it the colour that make it "ricey" or the mere fact that i have illumintaed footwells? My Beemer has em stock.

lol

dont get me wrong they do look nice, i had neon bars in my bros station wagon when i was on my Ps :)

I think its the hypa blue colour that makes it bit ricey (blue is my fave colour) but I think its bit an overkill, amber or reddish may look better, more "hidden" so to speak.

Edited by Modena