Aurion VVTI Noise

Hi all.

My Aurion ZR6 is making the VVTI noise. First start of the day is ok. Generally most other starts make the noise. The longer I leave it off the more noise it makes during the next start. Took it to Toyota and they changed the oil - that fixed the issue for about 1000ks. Toyota dealer told me that it is very common on all VVTI. Any suggestions.

Typically it is the first start of the day that produces the noise (in the period that it occurs if so) and then you usually don't get it again unless you let the car sit for a few hours or so.

An oil AND filter change usually gets rid of the issue for most cases for at least 10,000km. If you are experiencing the rattle way more often than that and well under 10,000km since your last oil and filter change, your VVT-i controller is definitely playing up.

It is not normal for this to occur on cars with VVT-i. They are meant to have a functioning locking pin in there to prevent this from happening.

Just to confirm, this is the type of noise you are getting right? I had to use another example because Murphy's Law states that all times I've tried to film my car doing it, I could never get it to happen (actually I've never heard it since I started using Penrite SIN 0, even after 15,000km):

Typically it is the first start of the day that produces the noise (in the period that it occurs if so) and then you usually don't get it again unless you let the car sit for a few hours or so.

An oil AND filter change usually gets rid of the issue for most cases for at least 10,000km. If you are experiencing the rattle way more often than that and well under 10,000km since your last oil and filter change, your VVT-i controller is definitely playing up.

It is not normal for this to occur on cars with VVT-i. They are meant to have a functioning locking pin in there to prevent this from happening.

Just to confirm, this is the type of noise you are getting right? I had to use another example because Murphy's Law states that all times I've tried to film my car doing it, I could never get it to happen (actually I've never heard it since I started using Penrite SIN 0, even after 15,000km):

Thanks for that mate.....well it use to make the noise first thing in the morning till I had the 60,000K service. It was ok for a while but its back again. now first starts are ok.

and yes, it does sound like that. I will try to record it and upload it.

Cheers,

Brett

if you get a really loud rattle on cold start up and then even if the car sits for a couple of hours , i would suggest you leave the car over night at the dealers and get them to start it cold to hear the noise.

i have seen 3 klugers and 2 aurions this year with this issue all repaired under warranty. Be mindfull as well - the repair is to replace the vvt-i control units and that requires removal of the engine so at a minimum 2 days off the road.

the worse case vehicles are more noticeable by the tech/mech doing a service as the vvt-i units rattle like crazy on first start after an oil change..

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, bit of a thread revival, but just wondering what the long term implications of a faulty VVTI controller are. I am having mine replaced with extended warranty but it'll be quite a while between when it was identified and when it will be replaced.

Got my VVTi controllers replaced recently, service supervisor advised some ppl don't replace this as it has no affect to the car only the start up noise. Reason why some ppl don't like getting this replaced is due to the engine being removed for the VVTi's to be replaced.

The new revised parts are guaranteed not to have the start up noise, so far so good for me.

• 6 months later...