09 ZRE Levin ZR - 6 Speed Manual

morning all,

as some of the peeps in Sydney know, I've been on the hunt for a new car during the past 4-6mths. We low and behold, I have found something I like, the ZRE Levin ZR 6spd.

before all the congrats come out on the purchase, I just have a few questions to put out there:

1. What are some of the best fuel scores people have got? (ltrs/100kms)

2. Do you ever use 6th gear?

3. Is the "drive-by-wire" slow to respond?, and did it take some getting used too?

4. Is it worth getting a front strut tower brace? If so, which one and how much?

5. If you get your car serviced at toyota, is it really worth it? and do they also try to slip in something in that isn't on the list?

6. Finally, are you happy with your purchase? Any little things that have been painful?

Thanks in advance, btw only 2 people know the colour, so don't ask :).....just yet

Best economy I've gotten was about 675km to a 45L fill

All the time - when I'm feeling slow-and-steady. I'll change into it at 60km even. I think the revs there are about 1800rpm. Has enough to get around, and up small hills.

3. Is the "drive-by-wire" slow to respond?, and did it take some getting used too?

It is a little and it was pretty annoying at first. But, now I like it. The drive by wire seems to smooth out the instructions given via the pedal. For example, at lights on a small hill, I'll have my left foot on the clutch, right on the brake. When I go to get off, I'll give the throttle a quick stab before letting the clutch out. The computer reads that stab as a smooth push down on the pedal and it makes take off nice and smooth. It's kinda hard to explain, but I've learnt how to use the drive by wire.

4. Is it worth getting a front strut tower brace? If so, which one and how much?

n/a - Though I really want to get one so I'm waiting for responses here.

5. If you get your car serviced at toyota, is it really worth it? and do they also try to slip in something in that isn't on the list?

Fixed $120 services for the first 3 years or 6 services. Been pretty good, they rotate the tyres and also check for things that could be warrantied. Ie, a crack that was on my centre console fascia and a noise my driver's window was making. At 20k they tried to tell me my air con filter needed changing and my injectors needed doing. $200 was quoted and I said no. (After 1 year!?)

6. Finally, are you happy with your purchase? Any little things that have been painful?

I'm really happy, and I'm sure you'll love the levin. Painful, nothing.

Congrats Big Pete!!!!! Cant get any better then the ZR lol

i got around 9.0/100kms as a 4 speed auto keeping below 3k revs before my exaust mix highway and city driving you would prolly get more economy from the 6 speed.

n/a

It can get anoying at first as it doesnt repond as fast as u like, but you get used to it

n/a

if your on the toyota advantage every service is $120 + consumables in my opion its worth seeing as they are toyota trained, i suggest sydney city toyota they have a very good

service department and will look after you! free coffee and muffins are also a plus.

Very happy with the purchase! Top car

morning all,

as some of the peeps in Sydney know, I've been on the hunt for a new car during the past 4-6mths. We low and behold, I have found something I like, the ZRE Levin ZR 6spd.

before all the congrats come out on the purchase, I just have a few questions to put out there:

7.4lr/100km with 95% city driving.

All the time as long as you feel stable.

I am pretty like it, very easy to drive as well.

Havent seen anyone with that...normally around $250 for cusco or whiteline product.

$120 fix cost is pretty good and you need that to retain your warranty.

That happens in all brand's service centre, you have to argue your right and ask no cost for that.

This car is quite good. Most luxury features within an affordable price. wont believe its a toyota but it is true.

Although the price is $10k more than an ascent.........which affect resale.

Thanks in advance, btw only 2 people know the colour, so don't ask :).....just yet

Good luck with the purchase.

i got 7.3 is my best and once i got like 670km with pussy driving

heaps man :) 6th gear normally like speeds after 55km/h

mmm yeah at first it was like wtf,... but after a while i got use to it.

ummm yeah i guess from what ive been hearing might as well get a rear sway bar too :)

yup, well u can never argue at the price either lol $120 a service that is cheap

yeah pretty happy about the purchase... there are a couple of lil things that ***** me off lol maybe its just me... rattling in my centre console... even tho the handbrake looks pretty cool its a bitch when i did this driving course bcos it was a pain in the ***** to pull it up in that position and the wheels would never lock anyways.

7.3/100kms !?!?!?...i believe it is truly a pussy driving..

BTW, about the rattling noise with the centre console, try my method.

I place a electrical tape (black in colour) on the joint area and fix that. Easy.

Edited by 38TRY

7.3/100kms !?!?!?...i believe it is truly a pussy driving..

BTW, about the rattling noise with the centre console, try my method.

I place a electrical tape (black in colour) on the joint area and fix that. Easy.

AHHAA yeah that week i was very soft :P wanted to save petrol HAHA

oh cheers man will try it out soon :D

7.3L/100km (driving to Phillip Island). Average of 8L/100km (mixed) over total life of car so far.

Yes, when I'm going on a flat section of road above 70kmh

Like what the others said, weird at first but then you get accustomed to it so you know how to do it quick. =)

Don't have one, but from Vinh, Thomas (shin0bi) and jstkill, it's worth it. Ask Vinh.

Didn't service my car at Toyota. Just gave to my mechanic and a bottle of Mobil 1. (Oil they use isn't that smooth)

Totally happy. Love the keyless entry and start button! If you want to make it look better, got to lower it!!

Peter.

I normally hit 560km and fill up with only 2 bars. But i heard with the last 2 bars i can get another 100km. Mixed driving conditions

Yes. Mainly on highway driving otherwise its a bit laggy under 100klm/h And when i hit 160klm/h once. :P

Yes. It takes some getting used to but after a while you learn to drive it smoothly applying very little accelerator to take off.

Yes. It improves handling and so you dont feel like your in a boat. Some boys have gotten the C-One bar. Which i will also get.

Yes its worth it because its genuine and toyota guys are doing the work. Dont know about slipping something in tho. I'll ask them to slip in a turbo at my 20,000?

Yes very happy. I've had over a year of problem free driving and much more to come.

GO ZR'S! I MEAN ZRE'S!

morning all,

1. 6.2L/100km I average between 6.9and 7.3

2. All the time but not below 80km/h

3. TOM'S Racing have something to fix this

http://www.prolex-uk.com/store/product_inf...products_id=838

Though it costs GBP 300

4. I don't think so but I haven't tried one to be able to tell the with and without

5. Price jumps significantly after the guaranteed price period (first 60,000km) ends

6. Exceptionally happy only annoyance is that the mobile phone/bluetooth system does not work well if the phone is placed in the little box directly below the gear lever and how many accesories and option available o/seas do not make it here (and almost no dealer will sell you the car with TRD parts fitted which meant I could not bundle it into the purchase price/finance arrangement). If I had auto I would be disappointed with a 4 speed whilst other part of the world get 6 or 7 with steering wheel mounted paddles for their autos, but thankfully I have a manual

I havent paid heaps of attention to it lately, but have some trips to compare with. I can do Sydney (innerwest) to Canberra and back with about 1/8 of tank left. The system is always at 7.5l/100km

All the time on the highway, I normally dont bother unless doing 100 and up but have sometimes at lower speeds, is pretty cool having a 6sp manual.

Didnt know I had it til reading this..

No idea... Car handles pretty damn good without it.

Just had my 30,000km service (at 20,000km), cost me $120 on the capped deal. They offered me the injector clean too which I didnt take.

I've had a lot of cars in my time, including some high performance 4's .. and I must say the Corolla still thrills me everytime I get behind the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

My turn, what colour ? :lol:

1.Fuel score i never look cos honestly i dont care..

2.6th gear only on the way to Mel,with my exhaust on my old GTi i hardly go out of 3rd,was music to my ears.this could be the same...

3.Drive by wire still not used to it,i hate how revs stay up and when i do exhaust its going to sound like i cant drive :lol:

4.My C-one strut felt different right away, front end felt tighter

5.After the advantage service plan ends i might just do it myself,depends what they charge normally

6.HAPPY,love the car,but this is what i dont like,plastics on top of dash,A & B pillar scratch easily

passenger door has a rattle,fix soon i hope,clutch grips too high,brake pedal soft and crappy hi beams, but according to road test the sedans

hi beams are worse..Thats about it,nothing major,no regrets

ok :)

Thanks for the info so far.

It's now time to play the waiting game.

JVN11L - the colour, well.....you will see. I can say that is a stock Toyota colour, no bright lime green or pink.

• 9 months later...

My turn, what colour ? :lol:

1.Fuel score i never look cos honestly i dont care..

2.6th gear only on the way to Mel,with my exhaust on my old GTi i hardly go out of 3rd,was music to my ears.this could be the same...

3.Drive by wire still not used to it,i hate how revs stay up and when i do exhaust its going to sound like i cant drive :lol:

4.My C-one strut felt different right away, front end felt tighter

5.After the advantage service plan ends i might just do it myself,depends what they charge normally

6.HAPPY,love the car,but this is what i dont like,plastics on top of dash,A & B pillar scratch easily

passenger door has a rattle,fix soon i hope,clutch grips too high,brake pedal soft and crappy hi beams, but according to road test the sedans

hi beams are worse..Thats about it,nothing major,no regrets

i find the rev hold comes handy with the turbo'd engine. Keeps the boost up longer