gear change issues

does anyone know how to fix this problem i have??

i've got this problem forever but havent got roound to fixing it...until now--i hope

once i hit lift around 6000 revs at 1st gear, i cant shift it into 2nd gear- no matter how hard i try to jam it in. can only get it in once revs drop down below 6k.

problem doesnt happen at high revs from 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear, only from 1st to 2nd.

tried it on friends' stivo and it is comparatively easy to get into 2nd.

took it into toyota b4 my warranty runs out, but they cant seem to find the problem.

CAN ANYONE HELP MY PLZ??? any help much appreciated.

ps- might as well give up dragging if i can keep it in lift, so plz help else i'll be the slow stivo around!!

Edited by bluey

LOL Shao u kill me.....

Ok to help u out bluey do a search for clutch adjustment or just clutch or just adjustment.....

This was up for discussion a few months ago...

The fix for this involved adjusting the clutch by ur dealer.

Out of curiosity do u have a pre or post facelift stivo ?

mine's a pre-facelift corolla

i took it into the dealer and they checked it out but cant find any problems. i suggested that it was a clutch issue but he disagreed saying it would happen to all gears. dont think he knows what he is talking about.

cant change gears while in lift-- might as well buy an ascent..

i took it into the dealer and they checked it out but cant find any problems. i suggested that it was a clutch issue but he disagreed saying it would happen to all gears. dont think he knows what he is talking about.

Do you find it hard to shift quick at normal revs too (eg 3000-5000rpm)? I am thinking it could be stuffed synchros too if it does that. But if its not, get a new clutch kit seriously, you will be really happy once the problem is gone although i must admit the stock clutch is not too bad quality and can take quite a fair bit of abuse. But i had to make a decision because i had the same issues and more and is not good for car and driver i the long run ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

where are you located? and which dealers have you tried?

Same model, same problem, dealer adjusted the clutch, no more problem. B)

only have tried one dealer, cornes toyota in adelaide, and that guy had no idea.

will try cmi on the w/end.

zeerolla, no problem changing gear at below lift but impossible 1-2 in lift :angry:

but if dealer cant fix it, might have to change clutch. how much does it cost, plus labour??

and shaohaok, took ur advice and had a search- just to confirm, if the dealer adjusted the clutch, does the clutch height change as well?? does it even matter

only have tried one dealer, cornes toyota in adelaide, and that guy had no idea.

zeerolla, no problem changing gear at below lift but impossible 1-2 in lift  :angry:

but if dealer cant fix it, might have to change clutch. how much does it cost, plus labour??

and shaohaok, took ur advice and had a search- just to confirm, if the dealer adjusted the clutch, does the clutch height change as well?? does it even matter

hehe that's where I bought my car :D, their customer service is great but I moved over here before I looked into getting the problem fixed, and still haven't, oh well, soon... Also NEVER go there for an after hours service, all the service managers are not there during that time and the lackies have no idea what they are doing other then changing fluids...

I don't know about the other dealers in Sth Aus, maybe try CMI on West Terrace or the Lexus place just down the road.

zeerolla, no problem changing gear at below lift but impossible 1-2 in lift  :angry:

Hey Bluey, you can get a new clutch kit for as little as $250. Labour i was charged $300. Toyota asked for $600-$710 :ph34r:

Just ask Toyota what they adjusted, if they say the pedal height tell them to p11s off, doesn't work i even tried it myself at the track. A Toyota dealership i took the car to said the clutch system is hydraulic so cannot do much but i think is a load of bullocks, some guys here still got it fixed somehow by getting the rod coming out of the master cylinder adjusted, which one dealership also said they did but didn't solve the problem.

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Mine was exactly the same... couldnt shift from 1-2 above 6000rpm..

clutch adjusted... no more problems.. perfect shifting everytime..

except when i get lazy and let the clutch out too soon... :blink: CRUNCH